Create-a-Cruiser ship sprite sheets (minor spoilers)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Tamren

Re: Create-a-Kestrel Ship Design Tool

Postby Tamren » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:58 am

Interesting, that's an angle I had not considered. Still I think it would be worth revisiting the shipyard idea if the game receives a less linear campaign somewhere down the line.
Lurkily

Postby Lurkily » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:31 am

Tamren wrote:Tried another Red-Tail design. This time I attempted to maximize the usage of available space. When you have access to advanced room shapes it can be surprising how much area of a ship you can cover. The ship is designed to be a nightmare for boarders. Think I succeeded?
Honestly? Nah. The real nightmare would be if access to every critical area was only possible via the medbay, and every non-critical area could be vented while protecting those critical spaces.
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:16 am

I can't wait for the inevitable player-made ship designer.

Will it be possible to make an optimal design? Of course it will be! That's not necessarily the point, though.

I just want to design my own ships. Optimal, horribly sub-optimal, or just plain batshit nuts, (imagine a huge wheel of a ship with a spoke design and bridge in the center of the spokes,) I just like to tinker and place stuff.

Also, do beware; the more tightly-packed your ship is, the more horrible rape that beams can inflict upon you.
Frustrated by random things beyond your control killing you?

Maxim 31: only cheaters prosper.
CaptainQuirk

Postby CaptainQuirk » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:19 am

Nice work. I don't think I would be very good at designing ships but if they put a ship builder (or modded a ship builder) into the game I would definitely have a go.
Humour, reviews and rants courtesy of The Robot Overlords all at Robots Building Robots!
thomasfn

Postby thomasfn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:25 am

FTL: Overdrive will have the ability to add new ship types including full layout customisation. Someone could easily create a ship builder which exports to an Overdrive mod.
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:18 am

Oh, and because I'm awesome, I give you the Kestral Defiant.

This interior redesign was engineered from the lessons of the past. Research has shown that most non-Federation targeting arrays strike more or less randomly, and enemy vessels consider themselves lucky to hit a vessel at all, let alone to repeatedly strike the same crew or machine bay. The large number of spare bays, then, serve as additional locations for enemy weapons, boarding drones, and boarding parties to target; it's very likely that most weapons will strike an empty bay rather than a mission-critical machine bay. Boarding parties and fires are especially easy to contain, taking into account the large number of redundant bays they may likely initiate in, and the ease with which most of the ship may be exposed to vacuum.

Additionally, bearing in mind the hard lessons of the past, the teleporter room, medbay, and life support bay are located in-line with one another, in perfect formation for damage control to keep life support and medbay functioning, whilst keeping boarding parties cycling into and out of the medical ward.

There are flaws in the design, however. The large number of empty bays, the very things that serve as sinks for fire that would otherwise damage a mission-critical system and hostile boarding parties, also serve to render hull-smasher lasers, hull-smasher missiles, beams, and especially hull-smashing beams, very dangerous to the Defiant class of vessel. Additionally, owing to an error of omission in the naval design specifications, the planned airlock doors between the medical bay and the airlock control bay and sensor array were omitted. This means that personnel traveling to and from the area of main engineering and the forward compartments have a very long route to take, especially if they need medical attention, or are damage control crews responding to damage.

Still, she's a nice little ship, isn't she?

gameassassin1020

Postby gameassassin1020 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:27 am

Wtf? those emblems. Radiation symbol, swords, money signs, forge. Updates/dlc??
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:29 am

They're just things he threw in there. He might as well have thrown in a bed, too. They're not actually game icons at all, just things he made in the style of game icons.

[e]Hey, OP, are you gonna release the other ships, too?

CaptainQuirk

Postby CaptainQuirk » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:47 am

thomasfn wrote:FTL: Overdrive will have the ability to add new ship types including full layout customisation. Someone could easily create a ship builder which exports to an Overdrive mod.

Just had a read of that thread and all I can say is, very cool. I wasn't going to bother with mods because to me the game is so much fun on its own but if FTL: Overdrive gets off the ground I will definitely have a look at that. Some great possibilities!
Humour, reviews and rants courtesy of The Robot Overlords all at Robots Building Robots!
Tamren

Postby Tamren » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:41 am

Lurkily wrote:The real nightmare would be if access to every critical area was only possible via the medbay, and every non-critical area could be vented while protecting those critical spaces.

There is actually a lot of interesting "meta" around designing a ship, even with just the default pieces.

Bigger rooms mean you can have more space, and more crew working. At the same time bigger rooms means fewer rooms and damage will be more likely to hit systems. If beams were capped at 1 hit per room, however that would be a bonus because it would be much harder to get multiple hits in. A dense ship with lots of little rooms is easier to compartmentalize against fire and boarders. But could be countered by beam weapons.

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:They're just things he threw in there. He might as well have thrown in a bed, too. They're not actually game icons at all, just things he made in the style of game icons.

[e]Hey, OP, are you gonna release the other ships, too?

I tried to draw a bunk bed but I didn't have enough pixels to make it recognizable.

I can do the Engi ships at least. I don't have any of the others fully unlocked and I'd like to avoid spoilers for myself.