As a mod user peasant, I had an idea that i'd really like to share: the directional shields.
This type of shield wouldn't replace the traditional shield, but rather go alongside it: the directional shields would occupy drone slots (in a way similar to the shield overcharger,but without consuming drone parts).
The idea is to add new possibilities and forms for weapons, while making shield managemant more interesting.
- Risk reward : for 1 energy each, these shields are more efficient that the traditional ones, but way more risky
- Weapons that can direct fire along a vector wuold be stronger against this kind of shields (also aiming would be more interesting than just coordinating volleys)
- Projectile speed matters more, since the rotational speed of the shield is not instant --> blind spots
- A little bit more RNG in the fights: even a heavily defended ship can be hit if you can find the blind spot in the rotating shields.
- Attributes to shields! Since these shields are drone parts and can be found/bought, they will have attributes (slow/fast/%resist to ionic and so on)
- The reactivation time could be weighted depending on the type of projectile (ie: they could be more effective than the traditional shields against ion, but less against heavy lasers)
- More variability in ship start setup: some ships could start without traditional shield and with 1-2 levels of directional shields, without being crippled.
Just an idea, if someone wants to take it up i would be honored!