[MOD] [WIP] FTL: Otherspace

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
TheFallenAngel359

[MOD] [WIP] FTL: Otherspace

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Incoming broadcast: Operation: Otherspace has been taken out of development hell. I repeat, Operation Otherspace has been released from development hell. Ready the crew, because this is going to be one hell of a mission.

FTL: Otherspace is essentially an updated "sequel" of sorts to FTL. Set a few years after the fall of the Rebels, a new threat has spread throughout the galaxy. The Federation is divided, and only a few small factions remain, many of which are fighting a losing battle. However, one of these factions, the Allied Federation, has just received data that pinpoints the location of a secret superweapon in construction, the destruction of which could lead to the end of the war.

You command a small task force that is assigned with scouting the base for intelligence purposes. A new, updated fleet, based on outdated Federation and Rebel technology, is waiting in the hangar. These ships, outfitted with advanced prototype features, are some of the strongest in the galaxy. But beware, for at every turn there is a galactic threat waiting for you...

Features

- New Weapons, Drones, Augments, Sectors, and Events

- A new race, and a new ship to follow. This race will have a unique ability, but most of the details will be revealed after a playable version is available. (This will be done by palatte-swapping an old race, effectively allowing us to use both while controlling which appears. Have to get around the limitations somehow...)

- New ships. These ships will be separated into different classes instead of being organized by crew race. They each have unique features that set them apart from the original ships.

- More side missions. Many more than FTL has to offer, branching out into different plotlines of the game.

- Upgrading weapons. This is a feature that I have really wanted in the game. Basically what I mean is paying extra scrap to upgrade a weapon, say a BL1, into an advanced version, in this case a BL2. This would cost more (maybe about 20-25 scrap) than the difference between the cost of the two weapons, would only work with weapons in the same class (No upgrading a Basic Laser to a Heavy Laser), requires an empty beacon, and the "fleet" advances one jump.

- Capital ships. This mod is partially inspired by Captain's Edition, and I want to introduce several features similar to that of CE. Capital ships are commandeered by a particular race, and they have a chance to appear in their respective home sector (maximum of once per sector). They are much more powerful than standard ships, but they give a larger reward when defeated.

Support

This mod is still in the very early stages of development, meaning that we need every ounce of support we can get. After half a year in development hell, we're not even close to finishing the mod at this rate. If you have anything that you could donate to the project - ship hulls, event ideas, hell, even ship names - please feel free to do so. If you could lend a permanent helping hand on our crew, that would be even better. This is going to be a dauntless task, and I will be updating this post constantly, filling it with new ideas, ship artwork, and more, so join the FTL Otherspace Discord at https://discord.gg/2eNpd2X to stay tuned for updates.
Last edited by TheFallenAngel359 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:14 am, edited 21 times in total.
TheFallenAngel359

Re: [MOD] [WIP] FTL: Otherspace

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:34 am

I realize that it is probably just easier to write events and such in C++ now and translate them into Python when Clonebay is released. However, I don't have many ideas for events at this moment. Does anyone have some ideas?
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:11 am

The backstory for this mod is composed of two key events:

1. After the destruction of the Rebel Flagship and the end of the Federation-Rebel War, most Rebels were either killed or captured as prisoners of war; the others have escaped and can be found throughout the galaxy. The Rebel technology was integrated with the Federation's own technology, leading to large advancements in the ~2-3 years that followed. This basically explains the new features integrated into the game.

2. During that period of time, a new threat approached the galaxy. Although Rebel-Federation tech has advanced during the Galactic Peace Age, the technology of this race is extremely powerful; their superweapon can (literally) tear the galaxy in two. This threat will make small appearances throughout the game.

Important events in Federation-Rebel history include the end of the war, advancement of technology during the Galactic Peace Age, and the first sightings of the secret race. Use these as fuel for the starsh- I mean, events.

As a side note (heh), the side missions can cover a broad range of topics. A couple of ideas that I thought were interesting was becoming a pirate ship and taking on other ships for a bonus scrap reward, or joining the Zoltan in a quest to become diplomatic, which would allow you to surrender and gain bonus supplies from the enemy when they surrender. However, you'd only be able to embark on one side-mission per game, so choose wisely.

This is just to clarify what I had in mind, but it by no means limits you. If you just want to add things that don't involve the backstory, such as empty beacon text, or suggest sector names, that's fine. I have updated the post with some of the information detailed above.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:32 pm

So wait...

If this thing is dependent on Overdrive/Clonebay or other similar recode attempts, how are you going to release this if those things fail?
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:54 pm

I'll have to end up scrapping some of the ideas, which would be a shame... However, I have my faith placed in Clonebay, and am currently teaching myself Python so that I can collaborate on the project. Plus, learning Python would help with my mod as well.
BrounieMan

Postby BrounieMan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:54 am

As I understand it, those projects won't be completed for some time. This mod seems ambitious but I look forward to seeing what comes of it. Best of luck to you.
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:01 am

Thanks, I'm gonna need that luck. This is my first large modding project, and it will not be completed for quite a while (half a year to a year at the bare minimum). I'm hoping to have it up within the first three months of Clonebay's release, as I will have to learn Clonebay, finish translating C++ into Python, and add the new features, however Clonebay will implement their addition. Luckily, I have started developing a small "team" to help me with this ambitious project. As of right now, we're discussing the small stuff that we want to add, like ships and events. All I need now is someone to help me translate...
BrounieMan

Postby BrounieMan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:50 pm

A translator, you say?

1. (Brounie crew member) Send 40 scrap to purchase a translator from the lanius.

heh heh.
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:53 pm

Sends 40 scrap.
TheOneAndOnlyRuffDuf

Postby TheOneAndOnlyRuffDuf » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:10 am

How has development been going on this? Im exited to see what this may have in store!