[Mod-Request] Flagship without 2nd and 3rd fight

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Noobh

[Mod-Request] Flagship without 2nd and 3rd fight

Postby Noobh » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:25 pm

*hands shaking*

Hello :)

Could anyone of you talented modders be so kind to make a flagship that is down after just the first (and only) fight?

Reason for this?
I'm a bit out of age, got my head struck some times too often so that Adrenalin is pure poison for me now..
plus: Sector 8 Setup simply sucks O.O
OneShot17

Re: [Mod-Request] Flagship without 2nd and 3rd fight

Postby OneShot17 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:57 pm

Sorry, but that part is hardcoded. Unless the other two stages have 0 hull health, it's impossible. you would still have to go chase down the flagship after destroying the first stage, but it would blow up as soon as you jumped in xD
Noobh

Postby Noobh » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:37 pm

If the game were fair enough to put the repair-stations so that you have to have really bad luck not to hit them between the stages I would never ask such a question.. hardcoded you say? That must be why I can't find anything about the flagship other than the randomizer. Was thinking about this, maybe it's possible to save a pretty weak version. But it's not the strength of the ship(s) that costs me my sanity, it's the way between the three fights - there are almost always four-shield-rebels in the way and almost always no repair-base in reach. Too much for my heart :(
So, what you said, would that be possible to make? I'd take it. Though I think - while writing the above - the best solution for my problem would be a sector 8 replacement map containing loads of repair-bases and way less rebels.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:54 am

Are you playing a version of the game without the Advanced Edition?
Because you can go straight to the next phase without having to fight those BS Rebel ships in between if they're causing problems.

That and set yourself up in Phase 1 so the next two are much easier - the Flagship can't do much if there's only one guy in the lasers.
Noobh

Postby Noobh » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:40 am

I'm playing the AE (GoG) with two mods:

Extended Pursuit Indicator x5 v.1.0
Twinge's Balance Mod v2.0.0

Yesterday on the Engi A I was two jumps ahead of the fleet from sector 7, the FS was positioned far east, no matter how much I hurried (had to 'use' a repair-base as a beacon again), finally reaching it two of three possible repair-jumps were already occupied.
FS went down like hell, my ship took 5 Dmg (just a proof I'm not taletelling), not really a need to set off my repair-drone. Patch all up, jump - a beacon next to me says 'Rebel Flagship' but there was an Elite Fighter again, hacked my shield, took out my weapons, time to lean back, again.. :s

So, how exactly do you avoid the rebels between the FS-fights?

You're talking about boarding-strategies? I've read lots about that, practiced it a few times. Imagine I just don't like that strategy, same way I dislike becoming a vampire in Skyrim or slaughtering people in Dishonored etc.. call it my personal cheese.. ;)
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:17 pm

Noobh wrote:So, how exactly do you avoid the rebels between the FS-fights?

Look at the red arrows. If the flagship is hovering around a beacon and there's a dotted line from that beacon to another, the flagship will be on the beacon its hovering at.

If it's a thick red line, the flagship is jumping to the next beacon. If you jump to that beacon instead of the one its hovering at, you'll encounter the Flagship.

Either that or you head to the beacon marked "base" and keep hitting "wait" until the Flagship arrives. Then you defeat it, hit "wait" until it comes back again.

You're talking about boarding-strategies? I've read lots about that, practiced it a few times. Imagine I just don't like that strategy, same way I dislike becoming a vampire in Skyrim or slaughtering people in Dishonored etc.. call it my personal cheese.. ;)

I never tried being a vampire myself. Werewolf once but that was so I could advance the questline. Now that was rather cool.
Just like a boarding strategy. Sometimes all you need is a pair of Mantis warriors in their shield room to ruin the enemy's day.

Then again, I tried a pacifist run in Dishonored. Still trying it for years, although I blame the fact I haven't picked up the game in that period of time after I heard "killing those assassins in the prologue will deny you that achievement" and I was like "Oh great, would have been nice to know AFTER I got halfway through the game!"
Noobh

Postby Noobh » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:20 pm

Aaaah.. I hit the wait-button once, assuming the FS would eventually arrive, instead an Elite Fighter came.. never tried that again. Ok, next time I'll scum my save and check that out til I can tell how it works.

Thank you very much :)

--

These games were just examples, but I think you got the point. Playstyle matters. In FTL not *that* much like in RPGs but it does.. ;)
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:18 pm

Noobh wrote:Aaaah.. I hit the wait-button once, assuming the FS would eventually arrive, instead an Elite Fighter came.. never tried that again. Ok, next time I'll scum my save and check that out til I can tell how it works. ;)

Yeah, if you don't like fighting everyone, make a quick beeline for the base and sit there. You may encounter 4-shielded ships or 5-shielded automated ships on the way but if you can avoid them, all you'll need to face is just the Flagship. The cowards don't like jumping back to give your ship a thrashing, you've gotta chase after them...

Holy crap, just like you were doing to get there! The Rebels are stealing everyone's tactics!

These games were just examples, but I think you got the point. Playstyle matters. In FTL not *that* much like in RPGs but it does..

Well you could turn the other cheek and accept surrenders but I don't see any tangible benefit to getting resources from it when they're 1 HP from getting me even more, unless they offer me something tangible like a drone (unless its a repair drone. No mercy for repair drones! Stingy bastards!) or a gun or an augment (even if I don't like it, I'll sell it. No mercy for Repair Arms though.)

But y'know, different playstyles :lol:

At least in other RPGs, accepting surrender makes you a "good" person or you get a good reward for showing mercy. In FTL, morality went out the airlock with the rest of the trash (like, enemy boarding crew).
Although the game Infinite Space does have one example of why you need to be a badass space pirate and not be a good space pirate. Show mercy to one pirate and he sets off a bomb that kills the girl you're trying to save.