[META] The End of the Universe

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
NarnKar

[META] The End of the Universe

Postby NarnKar » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:56 am

I've been reading a few comments here and there lately, which basically seem to say: "Well, that's it; we pushed FTL to its limits, we got some rocking ideas, but that's all we can do. There's no new ideas now, because there's no other way to combine what we have."

Do you think this is true? That we're really at the end of what we can do?
dalolorn

Re: [META] The End of the Universe

Postby dalolorn » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:32 am

NarnKar wrote:I've been reading a few comments here and there lately, which basically seem to say: "Well, that's it; we pushed FTL to its limits, we got some rocking ideas, but that's all we can do. There's no new ideas now, because there's no other way to combine what we have."

Do you think this is true? That we're really at the end of what we can do?

Something like that, yes. I think the modding community has discovered every nook and cranny of the game's engine - either Overdrive picks up speed, or we stay within those bounds.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:35 am

Modding universe heat death! I'm how much this affects how much is actually modded though. People might still put new twists on modding aspects that already have been used. Especially in regard to ship mods AE stuff hasn't really been exhausted yet. But the game is getting older, it seems to have a solid player base and there but less people seem to pick up modding. But you never know who might show up and do something cool one day.

IMO what actually "harms" the modding scene right now is the absence of a place to collect and present mods effectively. I think the master mod list was a good way to do this, so I hope it's coming back some day. I'd probably start one myself, if the editable document thing karto had planned does not happen at some point. :|
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:45 pm

It's kind of sad yes. FTL was never even meant to be that moddable and the devs were surprised when people started making mods. It's very impressive; everything that the modding community has done up until now. :) Unless Matthew eventually does release a few of the requested fixes for mod related bugs or restrictions then we are pretty much done.

That does not mean the end of the game thankfully, it just means the end of most MAJOR mod development. Like Sleeper said, ship mods and small weapons mods here and there will probably still pop up because they can all be unique. Major Overhaul mods are still possible, but they require so much effort and coordination that it will be quite a while to see one of the many "ideas" people have had actually come to fruition. And I just dont see something on the scale of Overdrive actually happening. :(

And on that note, I have sadly seen FTL waning quite a bit in popularity. There are not nearly as many well know Let's Players playing the game or mods. When TotalBiscuit made his Captain's Edition WTF right after AE came out, that was the peak of FTL's popularity.

However, there are still many of us on this forum that still enjoy the game very much, so FTL will continue to live. Perhaps we modders can now finally enjoy our mods in their "finished" state.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:52 pm

Russian Rockman wrote: Perhaps we modders can now finally enjoy our mods in their "finished" state.

It's interesting, really, to see so many things "finished", in a sense. CE's final update, Superluminal's out of beta...
On the one hand, I'm really happy to see those things come so far, but on the other hand it's kind of sad to see they'll never go any further. Kinda like seeing something grow up, really--a curious mixture of fondness and sadness, tinged with nostalgia.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:34 pm

I actually get more views on my FTL content than any other series, though I'm far from a YouTube superstar or anything.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:01 pm

Yeah, CEs fan base is also constantly growing as far as I can tell. Its likely that the game will remain popular, with more and more people taking interest in it (its not like every gaming person on earth knows and plays it yet I'd say). Some of this people might also pick up modding. I would not paint such a dark picture, its not like FTL is done and over or something like that.
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:18 am

I was going to write a long winded story about another game. A game that was brought back to life after it became incompatible with modern OSes and after its original servers have been shut down, all thanks to a group of programmers that still love the game and just like to tinker with things.

But i realised that i'm not good at writing. At all. So, i'm just gonna type the conclusions:

- A game dies only when there's nobody interested in modding it anymore.
- There's still memory modding.

EDIT: PS: Disclaimer: My opinions are based on personal experiences. Trust them with care.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:43 am

CE's not had its "final" update. At least I don't think... It may still add or fix a few things here or there. It, just like other things though, will not be receiving any big updates though and will not be updated nearly as frequently as it was. So modding will still happen, it's just slowing down.

Actually if you ask me, he end of the universe happened about 2-3 months after AE came out. After that everybody had already found everything that was possible with it, it just took a while for people to implement all the new stuff.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:19 am

Ship mods can still put a twist or alternate way of doing things in the game and quests can do interesting things as well.

Weapons haven't fully been expressed yet. Still new ideas popping in these days. I'm still working out on the kinks on a weapon Idea I had earlier (aka continues non stop firing beam that isn't OP, it's do-able but my main challange is not making it UP in the same time).

Overhauls are the big ticket for something being unique. Like Kieves project or Anthonest or mine.

The Charge, shotgun, chain. etc weapons have gotten nearly no attention so far in modding besides a few mods and ideas.

Just today I have released a ship with a "turret". There is a virtually unlimited things people can do with modding FTL as long as they are creative. Who knows. FTL may have another expansion or update to come up.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.