Weapon cannot cause breach and fire

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Giscard

Weapon cannot cause breach and fire

Postby Giscard » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:44 am

I was creating a weapon that was meant to have a 100% chance for fire and breach. Unfortunately the game can't seem to handle that, and when the bomb fires and detonates, only fire is made. Is this a glitch? Is this a mistake on my part? Or is it a hardcoded parameter that the game has set?

All advice appreciated.

-Giscard ;)
If u want a mod from me email me.
They are not compatible with
AE btw
They are:
Maxed out your face! (This is a mod when all the starting ships are maxed, but so are the enemy ships!)
I also have a few extra ship layouts if you want!
NarnKar

Re: Weapon cannot cause breach and fire

Postby NarnKar » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:51 am

Posting your code would help pinpoint, specifically, what's wrong.

I can tell you some general things, though:
<fireChance> and <breachChance> are the tags you should use. They go in increments of 10, so:
<fireChance>1</firechance> would indicate a 10% fire chance.

A weapon should be able to have both fire and breaching chance, so I don't really think it's a hardcode limitation. Or at least, not one that I'm aware of.

Maybe the fire sprites are covering the breach sprites?

And also, a 100% breach chance bomb would breach all the tiles of the room, if I recall. So in a four-tile room, it would cause four breaches, draining the oxygen very quickly--the fire would put itself out pretty fast, I think.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:13 am

I once made a slug artillery that I dubbed the "Maelstrom Bomb." it fired 3 bombs into different rooms and was set to have fire and breach chance of 10. I discovered that it could only cause either fire or breach, but it would always do one or the other. I do remember the bombs sometimes causing more breaches than fires or vise versa and it seemed like the distribution was off a bit... But it was able to cause both.
Giscard

Postby Giscard » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:56 am

NarnKar wrote:Posting your code would help pinpoint, specifically, what's wrong.

I can tell you some general things, though:
<fireChance> and <breachChance> are the tags you should use. They go in increments of 10, so:
<fireChance>1</firechance> would indicate a 10% fire chance.

A weapon should be able to have both fire and breaching chance, so I don't really think it's a hardcode limitation. Or at least, not one that I'm aware of.

Maybe the fire sprites are covering the breach sprites?

And also, a 100% breach chance bomb would breach all the tiles of the room, if I recall. So in a four-tile room, it would cause four breaches, draining the oxygen very quickly--the fire would put itself out pretty fast, I think.

Thankyou, I was already aware of these factors.
I know the fire isn't covering up the breach, because when the crew repairing it, put out the fire, they then repaired the system without repairing anything else; thus assuring me there is no breach/invisible breach.

I will post the code I used:

Code: Select all

<fireChance>10</fireChance>
   <breachChance>10</breachChance>

Here is the full line of code if you want:

Code: Select all

<weaponBlueprint name="BA_BOMB_HAZARD">
   <type>BOMB</type>
   <title>Environmental Hazard Bomb</title>
   <short>Hazard Bomb</short>
   <locked>1</locked>
   <desc>A hazardous bomb that causes catastrophic effects to the room it hits. Fires, breaches, and ice-lockdowns are regular occurrences.</desc>
   <tooltip>Teleports 1 bomb. Causes lockdown; 7 second stun; fire; breach; and ion.</tooltip>
   <damage>0</damage>
   <stun>7</stun>
   <sysDamage>1</sysDamage>
   <persDamage>3</persDamage>
   <ion>1</ion>
   <missiles>0</missiles>
   <shots>1</shots>
   <sp>5</sp>
   <fireChance>10</fireChance>
   <breachChance>10</breachChance>
   <lockdown>1</lockdown>
   <cooldown>14</cooldown>
   <power>2</power>
   <cost>90</cost>
   <bp>4</bp>
   <rarity>4</rarity>
   <image>ba_bomb_hazard_impact</image>
   <explosion>explosion_random</explosion>
   <launchSounds>
      <sound>bombTeleport</sound>
   </launchSounds>
   <hitShipSounds>
      <sound>smallExplosion</sound>
   </hitShipSounds>
   <weaponArt>ba_bomb_hazard_launcher</weaponArt>
   <iconImage>bomb</iconImage>
</weaponBlueprint>

Russian Rockman wrote:I once made a slug artillery that I dubbed the "Maelstrom Bomb." it fired 3 bombs into different rooms and was set to have fire and breach chance of 10. I discovered that it could only cause either fire or breach, but it would always do one or the other. I do remember the bombs sometimes causing more breaches than fires or vise versa and it seemed like the distribution was off a bit... But it was able to cause both.

Mine isn't an artillery system, but I have a similar issue. Only difference is, is that there is only fire. No breach at all.
AE btw
They are:
Maxed out your face! (This is a mod when all the starting ships are maxed, but so are the enemy ships!)
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:00 am

Maybe lockdown interferes with that? Have you tried how it behaves without that?
What happens if you put breachChance before fireChance? There might be a limit for how many status effects a weapon can cause, I don't know...
Giscard

Postby Giscard » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:50 am

Sleeper Service wrote:Maybe lockdown interferes with that? Have you tried how it behaves without that?
What happens if you put breachChance before fireChance? There might be a limit for how many status effects a weapon can cause, I don't know...

I will try this. I will post my progress on the situation tomorrow. :)
AE btw
They are:
Ora_unit_SR388

Postby Ora_unit_SR388 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:40 pm

Both effects cannot happen at the same time with a bomb. I experimented with it at one point. Your best option is to have it send two bombs, and have the bomb have 50 chance of each option.
Giscard

Postby Giscard » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:36 am

Ora_unit_SR388 wrote:Both effects cannot happen at the same time with a bomb. I experimented with it at one point. Your best option is to have it send two bombs, and have the bomb have 50 chance of each option.

Okay, well i’m gonna try turning it into a weapon similar to a flak one. Like with a radius and fake peojectiles and real ones etc. :)
AE btw
They are: