Grognak's Mod Manager v1.7 (Updated March 6, 2013!)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
DAOWAce

Re: Grognak's Mod Manager v1.7 (Updated March 6, 2013!)

Postby DAOWAce » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:07 am

So.. the download size was cut from 5MB to 250KB yet we now have to install a 20+MB scripting language to even run the program.

Seems really counterproductive; I'd rather just use 1.6 instead (actually 1.5, since 1.6 has a lot more files).

Reading posts, it looks like this has caused people a lot of headaches, especially those who are not tech savvy.
I don't mean to sound rude, but I can't help the way people interpret my words.
Vhati

Re: text GMM bug

Postby Vhati » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:33 pm

mightyminiman wrote:all the text on my game is shrunken and moved to the top of the screen
Delete GMM's backups.
Do the cache steam trick to get FTL working normally.
Then run GMM.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:53 pm

DAOWAce wrote:So.. the download size was cut from 5MB to 250KB yet we now have to install a 20+MB scripting language to even run the program.
The design decision was not made on the basis of download size.

DAOWAce wrote:I'd rather just use 1.6 instead (actually 1.5, since 1.6 has a lot more files).
That's your perogative. But you will miss out on what later versions' files were added to do (add features, fix bugs, and organize code).
Additionally, your statement is false. 1.6 had the same files as 1.5, minus the src/ folder.
And since 1.6, there's no need to put GMM inside the FTL directory, so clutter isn't an issue to complain about.

DAOWAce wrote:Reading posts, it looks like this has caused people a lot of headaches, especially those who are not tech savvy.
Not really. The vast majority of problems are from having a broken exe.
The next version will have an exe that can be right-clicked in windows Vista/7/8 to get admin privs.
In the meantime, the workaround is calling python from a prompt, which simply drew your attention to python itself.

The old build method of tediously lobotomizing a python runtime at the developers' end to bake into an exe (to save you the minutes it'd take to install python yourself), would require the same prompt-workaround if it turned out broken.
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:43 pm

The problem is, in some cases like me, it doesnt matter if i click on the .EXE or the main.py, it just doesnt work. And im afraid im not the only one in this case.. so even if i would like to try the lastest versions, i think im gonna get stucked in the 1.6 version for the rest of my life lol. Yea, the decision of cutting out the python from the exe is the thing that changed since 1.6, so i guess all the versions major to 1.6 will have this feature, so none of em will work on my vista so. And, if the size of the download wasnt the issue, i really dont understand the decision of cutting out the python from the exe. Of course, i am not a programmer, so i guess it is something about cleaning up he code (but still...).
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
DAOWAce

Postby DAOWAce » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:22 pm

Vhati wrote:Additionally, your statement is false. 1.6 had the same files as 1.5, minus the src/ folder.

Download 1.5 and 1.6 for yourself; see the additional files in the archive.

Vhati wrote:The old build method of tediously lobotomizing a python runtime at the developers' end to bake into an exe (to save you the minutes it'd take to install python yourself), would require the same prompt-workaround if it turned out broken.

I'm more talking about disk space, which is more valuable, especially on a small OS SSD.
I don't mean to sound rude, but I can't help the way people interpret my words.
Todes_Schnitzel

Postby Todes_Schnitzel » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:46 pm

I got a problem with Modman : it says that I haven't the supported version of python , but I installed the correct verion.
Need help!!!
MY ENGLISH IS TERRIBLYHELL YEAH!
This text is presented by Google translate , my english skill and german. :D
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:24 pm

DAOWAce wrote:
Vhati wrote:Additionally, your statement is false. 1.6 had the same files as 1.5, minus the src/ folder.

Download 1.5 and 1.6 for yourself; see the additional files in the archive.
You can't even be bothered to do that?

GMM 1.5
/mods/Beginning Scrap Advantage.ftl
/mods/readme.txt
/src/ftldat.py
/src/license.txt
/src/main.py
/src/readme.txt
/src/__init__.py
/modman.exe
/modman.ini
/readme.txt

GMM 1.6
/mods/Beginning Scrap Advantage.ftl
/mods/modorder.txt (1.5 generates this on first-run too)
/mods/readme.txt
/ftldat.py
/license.txt
/main.py
/__init__.py
/modman.exe
/modman.ini
/readme.txt

DAOWAce wrote:
Vhati wrote:The old build method of tediously lobotomizing a python runtime at the developers' end to bake into an exe (to save you the minutes it'd take to install python yourself), would require the same prompt-workaround if it turned out broken.

I'm more talking about disk space, which is more valuable, especially on a small OS SSD.
You're running a 160MB game and complaining about 15MB.

And the same runtime is shared among all python apps on a system, rather than each packing their own redundant copies and wasting space.
Last edited by Vhati on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:31 pm

Edit: Reply for speedoflight rewritten below.
Last edited by Vhati on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:32 pm

Todes_Schnitzel wrote:I got a problem with Modman : it says that I haven't the supported version of python , but I installed the correct version.
Need help!!!
Windows: Ignore modman.exe for now (it's broken), and run main.py directly.
- XP: Double-click main.py.
- Vista/7/8: likely have to do this...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2464&start=780#p41452
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:04 pm

speedoflight wrote:The problem is, in some cases like me, it doesnt matter if i click on the .EXE or the main.py, it just doesnt work.
No one else has reported cases like yours:
  • Windows said it couldn't find python.exe even when the full path was explicitly typed.
    You no longer have that problem, for some reason (link).
  • You downloaded html from github and clobbered your main.py.
    You have been instructed how to download GMM (link).

What problem do you have now?