Grognak's Mod Manager v1.7 (Updated March 6, 2013!)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Grognak

Re: Grognak's Mod Manager (v1.3)

Postby Grognak » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:34 pm

The problem is not that I don't want to help you, it's that I'm a windows-using man and I barely remember *nix terminal commands. :lol:

You should be able to extract the tarball using Mac's GUI, not just the terminal (I think?) Extract it in the GUI, navigate to the extracted folder using cd in your terminal, and then run the command.
TheKillerNacho

Postby TheKillerNacho » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:41 pm

Quick question, Grognak, about how different mods interact.

What happens when two different mods attempt to "append" the same event/ship/weapon/etc.? I assume that mods that are loaded later override mods that are previously loaded. If that is the case, is it possible to add a "load order" feature to GMM that lets the user set in which order the mods are loaded?

Thanks.
Grognak

Postby Grognak » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Yes, if you append the same exact thing, the mod patched last will take priority.

There's an automatically-generated .txt file in the /mods/ folder that does what you suggest. :)
All4n

Postby All4n » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Torchwood202 wrote:Torchwood202 :( Cant find anything to help me... cant unzip the files.... verge of giving up.... I did try to unzip them, by using the terminal and some commands to unzip files (from google). Not sure EXACTLY what command to use though... I very much appreciate your kindness to help me and I figure that I'm becoming a nuisance, but I REALLY APPRECIATE IT even If I don't have it figured out yet :D I have faith in you helping me :mrgreen:

P.S. Some README files said to rename some files to .zip or .exe should I do this?

You should be able you right click and just extract the files in the .tar, I did this.
Got a event, alternative text, or maybe a new sector? Add it to the Additional Events & Texts (AET) mod! Credits will be given, and you will help make a big pack of content!
Torchwood202

Postby Torchwood202 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:20 pm

You should be able you right click and just extract the files in the .tar, I did this.[/quote]

I cant do that, you must have a different Mac or Pc then me. I specifically know that you MUST be using a different computor then me. I use a Mac OS x 10.6.8. I still need halp with thz D:
All4n

Postby All4n » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:31 pm

Torchwood202 wrote:You should be able you right click and just extract the files in the .tar, I did this.

I cant do that, you must have a different Mac or Pc then me. I specifically know that you MUST be using a different computor then me. I use a Mac OS x 10.6.8. I still need halp with thz D:[/quote]

Do you have skype or something? That will be easier, just send me a PM.

Also a question for Grognak:

If I want to edit for example this:

Code: Select all

<event name="START_BEACON">
   <text>Welcome to a new sector! Get to the exit beacon and jump to the next sector before the pursuing Rebels catch you!</text>
</event>

to something like this:

]<event name="START_BEACON">
   <text load="START_BEACON_TEXT">
</event>
<textList name="START_BEACON_TEXT">
   <text>A text</text>
<text>Another text</text>
</textList>

Can i do it? or will that mess up when appending?
Got a event, alternative text, or maybe a new sector? Add it to the Additional Events & Texts (AET) mod! Credits will be given, and you will help make a big pack of content!
TheKillerNacho

Postby TheKillerNacho » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:13 pm

Grognak wrote:Yes, if you append the same exact thing, the mod patched last will take priority.

There's an automatically-generated .txt file in the /mods/ folder that does what you suggest. :)

Ah, thank you!

It would be helpful if you could add this to the GUI, though. Just a suggestion for the next version.
Torchwood202

Postby Torchwood202 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:54 pm

Torchwood202: Heres my problem;

1. Cant Unzip the mod manager
2. Not sure what command to use in the Terminal to unzip it (My computor is a Mac OS x 10.6.8, so I need to unzip it that way)
3. Not sure if I need to rename some files to ".zip" instead of ".ftl" or if I rename them at all.
4. Reseting the Mod manager when mods are dropped into the file
5. No idea where to find FTLGAME.exe, even with terminal and finder help (Mod manager is just a file byself with copy of FTL application in case)
6. I cannot unzip the mod manager file by right clicking, for I use Mac OS x 10.6.8.
7. I understand that I need to use the latest Python Launcher 2.7.3 but I need to unzip the mod manager to make the launcher vaild (I get a cryptic computor code on the terminal stating that the "file cant be found" or "error")
8. Cannot find ANY tutorials on how to help MY problem on google/youtube/ask.com/etc...
9. I have downloaded the latest Mod Manager and have read all the readme.txt files
10. I NEEDZ HALP :cry: :evil:
Last edited by Torchwood202 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grognak

Postby Grognak » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:59 pm

All4n wrote:

<event name="START_BEACON">
   <text load="START_BEACON_TEXT">
</event>
<textList name="START_BEACON_TEXT">
   <text>A text</text>
        <text>Another text</text>
</textList>

Can i do it? or will that mess up when appending?

I don't see why it wouldn't. Try it out.

Torchwood, you're getting into really basic computer related tasks here. I really really suggest reading over the readme.txt in the /src/ folder one more time and hitting up Google on how to do things like extracting tarballs on Mac OS X. Maybe try hitting up a Mac-specific forum and see if they can help.
(Also, there's no reason to rename any files.)

TheKillerNacho wrote:It would be helpful if you could add this to the GUI, though. Just a suggestion for the next version.

Indeed. If I move to a different GUI system I'll implement this, but as it stands it wouldn't be realistic with easygui.
Torchwood202

Postby Torchwood202 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:16 pm

Ok...to basically summarize the entire problem together;

I have no idea WHAT to type into the terminal to unzip or install it, I have no idea HOW to put easygui_version0.96.tar into the terminal no matter what I type it as, and finally, I have absolutely no idea what a tarball is...but i assume it means .zip or .tar or stuff like that.

Can you just....really, REALLY specifically tell me what to type/do? :oops: