Previews from the impatient

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Jimli_

Re: Previews from the impatient

Postby Jimli_ » Wed May 24, 2017 5:53 pm

Your work is excellent as always, Taxi. I was just wondering though what tablet/software do you use to design ships. I'm a GIMP and mouse using plebeian so its somewhat time more consuming than it needs to be, if I even get around to it.
ImageImageImage
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Thu May 25, 2017 10:13 am

t-thanks dude. Software: photoshop CS6. As for the tablet... I did most of my ships with a wacom "bamboo FUN" CTE-650, but after years of abuse it refuses to work correctly anymore. : \ This last ship was done mostly with a mouse, although lately a friend lent me his CTL-450, which works just as well. They are simpler tablets but for shipmaking you won't really need any of those advanced features like 2k+ levels of pressure or tilt control. You could probably do without pressure control at all! It's just a handier way to input a signal.

I mean, now that i know how it is to use a mouse, i can confirm that the tablet makes it a little faster/easier, but not that much. : \ (or maybe i'm just slow af...)
I've found myself using vectors more than usual to compensate for the lack of precision when drawing long curved lines, and it was just fine! GIMP should have tools like this as well so check them out!

also... here's an update on the gibs, i guess! The mistake i'm making is that i'm disassembling rather than breaking. :| I will have to snap the ship in pieces eventually... i just haven't decided how yet. (also i'm working on this VERY sporadically so it might take a fuckton of time to finish ;_;)

i hope the limit for number of gibs is not unreasonably low, if it exists. D:
ImageImageImageImageImage
AquaRegisteel

Postby AquaRegisteel » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:37 am

Sorry, mind the ugly white box for now :)

Hope it's fine to post stuff I'm making for my personal use only :mrgreen:

Well it's only one weapon but I'm basically trying to start myself on the path of custom spriting...by altering a base sprite until it becomes basically unrecognisable! Once I get there, I plan to create a bunch of interesting weapons...some of which will be sniper rifles. I mean I particularly want to create a Hecate II weapon, I haven't seen an anti-materiel rifle in FTL yet :P

So yeah, that's what I'll be up to for now.

Took me all day but I re-created my favourite gun for FTL: the PGM Hecate II. It looks so good, only issue is that it pokes out of every ship's shields :lol: I had to adjust some parts too because they wouldn't work for ships, so the supports the original has were not sprited in. Rebel colours too (I had to borrow the colours that rodprior700 used on their rebel weapons, hope it's okay dude!). So yeah I'll post a little line here crediting rodprior700 for the colour scheme, though I also added extra shades to my weapon too.

Repurposed Rebel Hecate II
rodprior700

Postby rodprior700 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:29 pm

AquaRegisteel wrote: (I had to borrow the colours that rodprior700 used on their rebel weapons, hope it's okay dude!). So yeah I'll post a little line here crediting rodprior700 for the colour scheme, though I also added extra shades to my weapon too.

All good, dude. I'm not going to copyright colours :lol:
It's meeeeeeeeeeeee.
Heap of Weapon Designs:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=32170
PR0T05T33L

Postby PR0T05T33L » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:35 am

I've been working on a Mantis Frigate. Hope sleepz8 doesn't mind me borrowing one of their weapons...

If anyone wants to help me get this out sooner, come help me fix the gun over here.
Arfy

Postby Arfy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:48 am

PR0T05T33L wrote: Hope sleepz8 doesn't mind me borrowing one of their weapons

Just remember to credit him/her for creating the weapon in the main mod page.

Edit: I've viewed your posts, about the weapon firing from only one barrel, the way charge weapons work (which was the original weapon type of the weapon you borrowed), the 1st shot fires from barrel 1, then the game *automatically* shifts the second and third shot down/or up to the other barrels.
Discord: ATLAS#9226
PR0T05T33L

Postby PR0T05T33L » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:03 am

Arfy wrote:Just remember to credit him/her for creating the weapon in the main mod page.

Edit: I've viewed your posts, about the weapon firing from only one barrel, the way charge weapons work (which was the original weapon type of the weapon you borrowed), the 1st shot fires from barrel 1, then the game *automatically* shifts the second and third shot down/or up to the other barrels.

Yeah, I'll be giving them credit when I do get this mod out.

I was thinking of screwing around with the sprites to make the barrels rotate like on a Vulcan, but now, I think I'll just try to turn it in to a heavy laser flak cannon. It'll still require messing with the sprites, but not quite as much.

EDIT: Alright, I've just converted it in to a laser flak weapon. Tests show the mod to work with or without Captain's Edition. Tests also show the weapon has a hard time hitting smaller ships. The edited animation works fine. Now, I just have to clean it up and I can move on to preparing the topic and download link for it.
Jimli_

Postby Jimli_ » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:13 am

Maybe I'll create a second mod one day, for now here's an engine I made today.

ImageImageImage
Jimli_

Postby Jimli_ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:39 pm

...and here's a full body. Have to brush it up.

Boy do I love making tiny ships without many rooms.
ImageImageImage
Lamina

Postby Lamina » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:51 am

---
Last edited by Lamina on Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.