FTL Multispace

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Blooperluigi

FTL Multispace

Postby Blooperluigi » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:12 pm

Hey! Great news! I'm working on a multiplayer version of FTL and so far it's going quite well :)
I've set this post up so that you guys can drop a few ideas on what you think I should include into it (since I'm doing this for all of the FTL players, not just me ;) )
The plan so far:
-Multiplayer.. duh :D
-Played over the internet OR LAN
-Only 2 players at the moment
-Both players connect to a server which one player is running (like Minecraft)
-Both players control one player each but can both control the rest of the crew too
-Coop (also planning PvP)

This is in the very early stages so far and development will be slow since I am still in college. I'm asking for ideas now so I can work them into the whole thing.
Any help would be appreciated!

Development progress so far
-Character movement/mouse selection
-Players can be clicked so be selected/moved

-Networking
-I'm currently developing a server program which is separate to the client, since hosting the server within the client program has created problems
-Soon I'll start on a game lobby, where you can set options, ships etc
-Options on which IP to connect to

Thanks,
Blooper
Last edited by Blooperluigi on Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Developer of FTL:Multispace
Zadeinator

Re: FTL Multispace

Postby Zadeinator » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:03 am

So far it sounds pretty good, I was thinking of a multiplayer mod, now, here are some suggestions, the only suggestion I can think of are either different game modes or a turn based kind of thing (where you would wait for the other person to be ready to jump).

Also, I will DEFINITELY download this when it is finished, and one more thing, are you going to make it campaign style or Infinite Space style?
Life is not a fairy tale, there is never a happy ending, so let's enjoy it whilst we can, and play COOKIE CLICKER
Blooperluigi

Postby Blooperluigi » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:24 am

Zadeinator wrote:So far it sounds pretty good, I was thinking of a multiplayer mod, now, here are some suggestions, the only suggestion I can think of are either different game modes or a turn based kind of thing (where you would wait for the other person to be ready to jump).

Yeah I was thinking about that. I'll see what I can do with it :)

Zadeinator wrote:Also, I will DEFINITELY download this when it is finished, and one more thing, are you going to make it campaign style or Infinite Space style?

I was thinking infinite space but I'm not sure if that takes away from the story experience. I'll keep it in mind ;D thanks for the support!
Last edited by Blooperluigi on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brittonmcl

Postby brittonmcl » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:15 pm

This sounds like it will be amazing. According to the progress you have made, do you think this mod will be in a working state in a few months? And my suggestion is that the other person's decisions ex:blowing up the base instead of saving everyone, effects you as well in the game. And will this be built so you can combat the other player as well as the computer?
Blooperluigi

Postby Blooperluigi » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:59 pm

brittonmcl wrote:This sounds like it will be amazing. According to the progress you have made, do you think this mod will be in a working state in a few months? And my suggestion is that the other person's decisions ex:blowing up the base instead of saving everyone, effects you as well in the game. And will this be built so you can combat the other player as well as the computer?

Thanks for the support, it helps motivate me so much :D as for it being in a working state, with my current rate of progress-all I can say is maybe. I'm still waiting to hear back from the FTL devs for permission to release it as a separate .exe file since thats the only way I can do it. I plan to add both coop and PvP. Thanks for your idea :) I'll write it down and see if I can figure out how to add it. For now, thanks for the support :) tell your friends to come check this out if they have any ideas to add :)
Cheers,
Blooper
Torchwood202

Postby Torchwood202 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:53 am

Any chance we can get multiplayer battles...? Such as VS or CO-OP?

I feel as though if two players were to control ONE ship, that could get hectic.
Yet, this is probably the closest we will actually GET to multiplayer, so.... :D
Blooperluigi

Postby Blooperluigi » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:36 pm

Torchwood202 wrote:Any chance we can get multiplayer battles...? Such as VS or CO-OP?

I feel as though if two players were to control ONE ship, that could get hectic.
Yet, this is probably the closest we will actually GET to multiplayer, so.... :D

I think that both would be a great idea if done properly :) I plan to add both. Thank you for the support. It really helps the project :D
Torchwood202

Postby Torchwood202 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:38 am

Soo....any progress?
Blooperluigi

Postby Blooperluigi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Torchwood202 wrote:Soo....any progress?

Yes.
The FTL team replied to my email and said that they had no interest in making a multiplayer game but they said that I could only make a game that was 'heavily inspired' by ftl. I'm still thinking about what to do :P would you guys be interested in a gAME like FTL but w multiplayer?
Torchwood202

Postby Torchwood202 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:04 am

Blooperluigi wrote:
Torchwood202 wrote:Soo....any progress?

Yes.
The FTL team replied to my email and said that they had no interest in making a multiplayer game but they said that I could only make a game that was 'heavily inspired' by ftl. I'm still thinking about what to do :P would you guys be interested in a gAME like FTL but w multiplayer?

Well, you gotta take in to consideration in what you want this game to be. Will it be VS multiplayer servers? You decide. The matter I'm concerned about is that with multiplayer, there shouldn't be a pause button. How will this work? For people are usually heavily dependent on the pause button on FTL.