[Modding] R&D and current findings

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
AssKickerson

Re: [Modding] R&D and current findings

Postby AssKickerson » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:52 pm

Is it just me or is it impossible to rewrite the description of races and race names?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:25 pm

It should be perfectly possible. Make sure you don't have any typos in names, mismatched cases (a instead of A), etc.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
XionGaTaosenai

Postby XionGaTaosenai » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:08 pm

I tried to edit the ship_floor.png in resources, and when I load up the game, the modified floor graphic does not show up. What am I doing wrong?

This is listed in the reference links as a Modding Discussion Thread, and I didn't feel like this deserved its own thread. If this is the wrong place, I'm sorry.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:14 pm

Ship images have to follow a strict naming pattern.

So if your base image is called crystal_base.png, the floor image should be called crystal_floor.png

And it's usually better to create a new thread than revive an old one, that is only barely related to the issue ;)
XionGaTaosenai

Postby XionGaTaosenai » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:26 pm

But this seems to a thread for "general" issues, not any specific one.

As for the problem, the file is still named, in this case, "crystal_cruiser_2_floor.png" just like it was originally. This was a case where I actually did just modify the original image instead of replacing it wholecloth. I called it ship_floor.png here because I'm having the same problem with any other ship I edit the floor graphic of, and I didn't want to suggest it was specific to this particular ship.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:02 pm

XionGaTaosenai wrote:But this seems to a thread for "general" issues, not any specific one.

Specifically, this thread was dedicated to new findings in modding FTL... Though it has grown a little obsolete over the last year. But I get what you're saying.

XionGaTaosenai wrote:As for the problem, the file is still named, in this case, "crystal_cruiser_2_floor.png" just like it was originally. This was a case where I actually did just modify the original image instead of replacing it wholecloth. I called it ship_floor.png here because I'm having the same problem with any other ship I edit the floor graphic of, and I didn't want to suggest it was specific to this particular ship.

Hm...
  • Verify that the part before _floor is the same as value of the img attribute in the ship's blueprint
  • There was also some talk that these images have to be 32-bit PNG, others might not show up or appear as a black box
XionGaTaosenai

Postby XionGaTaosenai » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:12 pm

Saving it as 32-bit fixed the problem, so I guess that theory is true.
The Federation

Postby The Federation » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:02 pm

Whenever I run the .dat unpacker, nothing happens. I have followed the instructions to the best of my knowledge, tried setting the security on the FTL folder so that everything has access to it and also setting it so read-only is unchecked, but to no avail. Any tips or more detailed instructions I can get? I am running Windows, so I am using the automated installer.
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:39 am

Where do I find the ENEMY graphics?
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:51 am

agigabyte wrote:Where do I find the ENEMY graphics?

The same place you find player ships, in resources\img\ship