Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
RAD-82

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 20

Postby RAD-82 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:55 pm

I think it has been discussed in the past somewhere, probably in the CE thread, that ion intruder drones can't be duplicated. The ion intruder drones are hardcoded to the droneBlueprint name, since there is nothing unique in their blueprint to separate them from boarding drones.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Sun May 31, 2015 6:11 pm

RAD-82 wrote:I think it has been discussed in the past somewhere, probably in the CE thread, that ion intruder drones can't be duplicated. The ion intruder drones are hardcoded to the droneBlueprint name, since there is nothing unique in their blueprint to separate them from boarding drones.

Looking over the code I see what you mean...
It's still odd though that it shows the boarding drone image even though it's apparently supposed to be using the ion intruder image which I assume is what the "<iconImage>ionD</iconImage>" is for.
And also explains why there is only 1 of them in CE even though there's like 3 types of the standard boarding drone.

You can at least change the existing one. Don't think it's going to have a huge impact if I lower the power requirement. It won't go down as quickly when enemies use it against you but otherwise...

Thanks RAD-82
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sun May 31, 2015 6:57 pm

Biohazard063 wrote:It's still odd though that it shows the boarding drone image even though it's apparently supposed to be using the ion intruder image which I assume is what the "<iconImage>ionD</iconImage>" is for.

This is actually iPad-specific code for the iPad interface. It has no effect on the PC version.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:51 am

Is it possible for enemy ships to spawn with a Heal Bomb naturally (as in edit the code so it pops up with the Burst Laser II)? What defines a weapon as "enemy ships can't have it but you can certainly buy it in stores?"

Of course if enemy ships had heal bombs, there's a good chance that boarding operations they send out will get tougher. But who cares? it'd make things a little bit more difficult, right?
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:26 am

I can tell you to look at autoBlueprints.xml and try to figure it out yourself.

It isn't so much "What defines weapon availability" rather than "This ship has access to this list of weapons."
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:27 am

Sometimes I don't have access to my unpacked FTL files when these questions strike me.
Biohazard063

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby Biohazard063 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:29 pm

Alright, continuing with the boarder thing.
I've got the ship completed and am now in the works of adding the blue options for the standard boarding drone to work with the version I have created.
There doesn't seem to be an autoBlueprints.xml for it which makes sense as in the vanilla game there is only 1 boarding drone.
So I'm manually adding in blue options for both (?) events.
Here's what I have for the giant alien spiders :

Code: Select all

<mod:findName type="event" name="DISTRESS_STATION_DISEASE">
   <mod-append:choice hidden="true" req="NEWBOARDER">
      <text>(101010) Send in your advanced boarding drone.</text>
      <event>
         <text>Within a short time the majority of the creatures are dead, with only a little collateral damage. They express their most sincere gratitude.</text>
         <autoReward level="MED">stuff</autoReward>
      </event>
   </mod-append:choice>
</mod:findName>

I know the text and reward is for the anti-personnel drone and deliberately took that one.
NEWBOARDER is the name of the blueprint of the drone.
My question thought is :
Does this code work? I'm still new to using the SMM tags so...

Also, same question but for the odd moon event :

Code: Select all

<mod:findName type="event" name="ZOLTAN_ODD_MOON">
   <mod-append:choice hidden="true" req="NEWBOARDER">
      <text>(101010) Send in your advanced boarding drone to probe the surface</text>
      <event>
         <text>Initial scans indicate a network of caves not far underground. You launch 101010 and it breaks through the surface into the cavern below.</text>
         <item_modify>
            <item type="drones" min="-1" max="-1"/>
         </item_modify>
         <choice hidden="true">
            <text>Continue...</text>
            <event>
               <text>Your drone discovers a vast cave network and evidence of excavation. Buried deep below you find a Zoltan scientist, still hard at work. He tells you that all his colleagues are long dead. You decide not to ask questions and offer to let him join your crew.</text>
               <crewMember amount="1" class="energy"/>
            </event>
         </choice>
      </event>
   </mod-append:choice>
</mod:findName>

I don't know why but something looks odd though...
Anyway, thanks for anyone who can help !
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:06 pm

Wrong event for the giant alien spiders. You want DISTRESS_INFESTATION, not DISTRESS_STATION_DISEASE.

Other than that, I don't see anything wrong. If you don't know how to use it already, you should learn how to use SMM's XML Sandbox feature.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:37 am

Do healing bombs work on the enemy? As in, if the enemy ship has a healing bomb and it hits a part of your ship where you're fighting boarders, will it heal them?

Secondly, if I dropped a Heal Bomb and a Breach Bomb at the same time, will it damage and heal my crew or will it heal and damage the crew?

^ I haven't tried this myself because I don't do something that risky and I don't like using missile weapons.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:41 am

RAD-82 wrote:Wrong event for the giant alien spiders. You want DISTRESS_INFESTATION, not DISTRESS_STATION_DISEASE.

Other than that, I don't see anything wrong. If you don't know how to use it already, you should learn how to use SMM's XML Sandbox feature.

Thanks, I tend to learn most of this stuff through reverse engineering. In this particular case I used the advice you gave me on the events with the healing artillery. Copied that code and made the changes I thought were needed to make it work for this case. Turns out I was correct.
Channel link