Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
The Legacy

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread!

Postby The Legacy » Mon May 19, 2014 6:24 pm

Personally, I'd love to see the developers add a few things to FTL: Steam Workshop and plug and play support for modding. It would add a huge amount to the game's adaptability and longevity. :D
Aeshi

Postby Aeshi » Thu May 22, 2014 12:30 pm

I don't think this question has been asked here yet (I did search and nothing came up), but is it possible to modify the Rebel Flagship? I would assume so since I think I've seen at least one mod that adds new enemy ships.

And if so, how much can you edit? can you change the weapons? can you modify what the Power Surges do?

EDIT: And on a semi-related note, can you give a Bomb/Missile weapon its own unique sprite?
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Wed May 28, 2014 6:22 am

Aeshi wrote:I don't think this question has been asked here yet (I did search and nothing came up), but is it possible to modify the Rebel Flagship? I would assume so since I think I've seen at least one mod that adds new enemy ships.

And if so, how much can you edit? can you change the weapons? can you modify what the Power Surges do?

EDIT: And on a semi-related note, can you give a Bomb/Missile weapon its own unique sprite?

You can barely change the drones and weirdly change the layout.

besides that not much ideas I think, you can obviously change it's hull image and stuff.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
seven

Postby seven » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:37 am

Skimmed the thread but did not see this asked: why can't we add new ship slots (Type D, E, etc.)? Has anyone attempted to do this?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:38 am

seven wrote:Skimmed the thread but did not see this asked: why can't we add new ship slots (Type D, E, etc.)? Has anyone attempted to do this?

We can add new ships with new blueprint IDs, and the game will load them... However, FTL is hardcoded to recognise only a handful of specific blueprint names as player ships (PLAYER_SHIP_HARD, etc).
For this reason, player ships have to be added via replacement of already existing ones, and enemy ships can be added by just adding a new <shipBlueprint> with a new ID.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Mista_Slaya

Postby Mista_Slaya » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:12 pm

I am currently working on my first ship and I'm having a problem with my images being saved with a white background instead of a transparent one. Is there any way to fix this? I didn't see this question while I was skimming through here, but I may have skimmed too fast. :? The transparency issue and the fact that I suck at editing and the ship kind of looks bad are the only things I need, otherwise the ship works wonderfully.
G0ldunDrak0n

Postby G0ldunDrak0n » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:32 pm

I'm having a problem with my images being saved with a white background instead of a transparent one.

Answer :
If you're using Paint, use Gimp/Photoshop to save your image.
If you're already using Gimp/Photoshop, set the background to "transparent" in the options instead of "white".

Question :
In the blueprints, the Boarding Drone and the Ion Intruder share the same "<type>" argument : BOARDER.
But, they have a slightly different effect. So, how does it work ? The effects themselves are hardcoded, but how does the game make the diffence between the drones ? Apparently, not by their "type". Besides, the only things that differ between the two are their "title", "short", "desc" and "iconImage" :

Code: Select all

<droneBlueprint name="BOARDER">
   <type>BOARDER</type>
   <tip>tip_boarding</tip>
   <locked>1</locked>
   <title>Boarding Drone</title>
   <short>Boarding</short>
   <desc>Breaches through the enemy hull and wreaks havoc. Awesome.</desc>
   <power>3</power>
   <speed>18</speed>
   <cost>70</cost>
   <rarity>4</rarity>
   <iconImage>boarder</iconImage>
</droneBlueprint>

<droneBlueprint name="BOARDER_ION">
   <type>BOARDER</type>
   <tip>tip_boarding</tip>
   <locked>1</locked>
   <title>Ion Intruder Drone</title>
   <short>I. Intruder</short>
   <desc>Breaches through the enemy hull and randomly ionizes systems.</desc>
   <power>3</power>
   <speed>18</speed>
   <cost>65</cost>
   <rarity>4</rarity>
   <iconImage>ionD</iconImage>
</droneBlueprint>

The question is, how does the game make the difference ? And, btw, what is "iconImage" anyways ?
Image G0ldunDrak0nImageImage <-- Click here !
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:02 pm

G0ldunDrak0n wrote:The effects themselves are hardcoded, but how does the game make the diffence between the drones ?

In that case, it's very likely that the boarding drone's behaviour is hardcoded, ie. drone blueprint with name BOARDER_ION and type BOARDER will behave like an ion boarding drone.

G0ldunDrak0n wrote:The question is, how does the game make the difference ? And, btw, what is "iconImage" anyways ?

IIRC it's only used on the IOS version of the game, like here (the weapon icons and the drone icon)
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
xanderhunter

Postby xanderhunter » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:58 pm

Is there currently a mod that allows you to have multiple saved crew positions? Didn't find any searching for saved crew in mod section. If not, how hard would it be to make it?
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:05 pm

Thats not possible within the current modding limitations. Internal game mechanics like that are all hardcoded and cant be changed right now.