Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
R4V3-0N

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread. Updated Oct 20, 2013

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:10 am

dalolorn wrote:
R4V3-0N wrote:Yea, well In the end I found out I can't make the projectile work right to save my life, I edited the picture and anim so many times and remeasure again and again each part of the script but nope, it looks exactly the same now.

Image Image Image

these 3 shots were from the same projectile in the same game. I doubt that I would fix this with minor help or advice. I also doubt anyone would bother to do it for me. So I am just going to stop with the weapon modding.

I can try to keep my mods interesting with new drones and

(before anyone mentions me as a cowards or talk smack because I'm giving up, It's not giving up if you tried everything humanly possible for you. I worked to the best of my abilities and I failed. I do not care if you can do this in your sleep or read this and yell in anger how stupid this guy is. I know how to do my stuff, and you know how to do yours. Don't hate on me for being different and not specialized in this field.)

Edit: the glow image is still off center, even though it's as high and wide as it is compaired to the weapon. (not the entire weapon script)

as you see, the glow image on this weapon is to low and to far to the left even though it is the same size as the weapon (check a view posts above to see the weapon and glow image, place the glow ontop of the guns, you see it fits nicely)

Okay, this is what you need to do. Take the heavy laser animation, copy-paste it, and rename the newly created animation. Then use the only weapon animation my mod has. I'm telling you this because it seems that you've simply repainted the heavy laser projectile just like I did in TFSB.

Can't think of anything for the glow, though. Sorry.

If you mean the gun:

technically yes but as you see at the bottom part and how I flipped the recoil so it's the gun, not the rear, that recoils, means the gun is bigger and stuff.

If you mean the projectile:

It is actually a from a cut weapon (or the boss ion, not sure which) labeled "ion_laser" so I decided that was the perfect and rather convenient find, seeing how I am making an ion laser and it fits the looks.

I will see what happens if I take a normal heavy laser one and recolour it and then see how'll it'll work out then with normal heavy laser anim.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:10 am

dalolorn wrote:
R4V3-0N wrote:Yea, well In the end I found out I can't make the projectile work right to save my life, I edited the picture and anim so many times and remeasure again and again each part of the script but nope, it looks exactly the same now.

Image Image Image

these 3 shots were from the same projectile in the same game. I doubt that I would fix this with minor help or advice. I also doubt anyone would bother to do it for me. So I am just going to stop with the weapon modding.

(before anyone mentions me as a cowards or talk smack because I'm giving up, It's not giving up if you tried everything humanly possible for you. I worked to the best of my abilities and I failed. I do not care if you can do this in your sleep or read this and yell in anger how stupid this guy is. I know how to do my stuff, and you know how to do yours. Don't hate on me for being different and not specialized in this field.)

Edit: the glow image is still off center, even though it's as high and wide as it is compaired to the weapon. (not the entire weapon script)

as you see, the glow image on this weapon is to low and to far to the left even though it is the same size as the weapon (check a view posts above to see the weapon and glow image, place the glow ontop of the guns, you see it fits nicely)

Okay, this is what you need to do. Take the heavy laser animation, copy-paste it, and rename the newly created animation. Then use the only weapon animation my mod has. I'm telling you this because it seems that you've simply repainted the heavy laser projectile just like I did in TFSB.

If you mean the gun:

technically yes but as you see at the bottom part and how I flipped the recoil so it's the gun, not the rear, that recoils, means the gun is bigger and stuff.

It is actually a from a cut weapon (or the boss ion, not sure which) labeled "ion_laser" so I decided that was the perfect and rather convenient find, seeing how I am making an ion laser and it fits the looks.

I will see what happens if I take a normal heavy laser one and recolour it and then see how'll it'll work out then with normal heavy laser anim.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:36 am

R4V3-0N wrote:
dalolorn wrote:

Image Image Image

If you mean the gun:

I'm fairly certain I had to repaint a heavy laser projectile to achieve the effect you have. I really am.

However, I'm noticing the presence of this projectile in an unpacked CE resource.dat I have, called laser_ion_strip1. Checking original files now...

Edit: Scratch that, don't have any unpacked vanilla files lying around, and can't be bothered to unpack a new batch.

Nonetheless, the projectile is just a repainted heavy laser, and therefore needs to use a renamed heavy laser animation to work correctly.

Again, no idea how to fix the gun.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:39 am

Single frame in your weapon is 26x73. Your glow image is 28x83. There goes your glow alignment problem.
Crop or repaint the glow to be 26x73, and it'll be aligned.

Code: Select all

<animSheet name="engi_ion_laser" w="181" h="16" fw="25" fh="16">weapons/engi_ion_laser_strip242.png</animSheet>

• w is width. This has to be equal to the width of the entire image sprite, otherwise the anim will be squished/stretched.
  • h is height. This has to be equal to the height of the entire image sprite.
  • fw is frame width. This has to be equal to the width of a single frame in the image sprite, otherwise you'll get exactly what we see in your screenshots.
    For FTL, you can just divide w by number of frames, and that's the frame width.
  • fh is frame height. Most of the FTL sprites only have a single row of frames, so you can just copy-paste the value from h here.

Following this, I assume this is the projectile anim. In this case, change w to 200, h to 20, fw to 50, and fh to 20, and it'll work correctly.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:58 am

It works, Cheers again KartoFlane!

due to the fact I covered the basics of
Ship
Drone
and Weapons.

So that means I will be asking way less questions and hopefully less 'stupid' questions ^^;
I do feel like I do get on some of your guys nerves.

@ NewAgeOfPower (when he wakes up)

Don't worry, everything (for now) is sorted, hope you had a goods night rest.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:03 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:I do feel like I do get on some of your guys nerves.

I had a similar problem with my frames/animations awhile off, and I quickly realized it's because my code was off by one pixel through experimentation.

However, I've wasted Karto's time before too...

Anyways, I scrapped my code and tried afresh:

Events.xml.append

<event name="START_GAME_BEACON">
    <choice>
        <text>Continue...</text>
        <event load="START_GAME_CHOICES" />
    </choice>
</event>

<!-- Append your start game <choices> or optional actions to this event -->

<event name="START_GAME_CHOICES">
   <text>You are about to set out on your journey.</text>
   <choice>
      <text>Proceed.</text>
      <crewMember amount="1" class="ghost">EVA</crewMember>
   </choice>
</event>

Causes the game to go have the Mercenary event and choices. When I quit to main menu, and start a new game, it crashes to desktop upon pressing the Start button in the hangar.

FTL starts up fine, but starting a new game crashes to desktop from hangar again. Until I unpatch this code, this strange behavior continues.

EDIT: After more experimentation;

Upon depatch/newgame/quit/repatch/newgame

Causes the first event to be the planet with friendly creatures (chance of Free Engi event). After quitting to menu and starting a new game, crashes to desktop from hangar upon pressing start.

Repeats strange behavior exhibited previously.
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:04 pm

Very weird indeed. Tried wrapping the <crewMember> in <event> tags?

<event name="START_GAME_CHOICES">
  <text>You are about to set out on your journey.</text>
    <choice>
      <text>Proceed.</text>
      <event>
        <crewMember amount="1" class="ghost">EVA</crewMember>
      </event>
   </choice>
</event>
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Choices indeed should be followed by event tags (appart from choices with </event> or <event load=...> after them).
Must stuff also does not work if it has no <text> capsule as well, your might add some text for the event level where the crew is added.

Vanilla <event load=...> almost always calls evenlists, instead of an event itself. You might want to wrap the called event into a eventlist layer. Should surely work then.
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:10 am

Thank you, both of you.

Verified that neither Gender= nor Sex= seem to work on ghosts or humans.

EDIT: EUREKA! Damn, that was annoying to work out, but it works!
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
R4V3-0N

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread. Updated Oct 27th, 201

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:30 pm

Quick question, does having 2 Damaged Stasis pod give you 2 Crystal people for the zoltan research Facility quest? or not. And if it only does 1, can you still do the quest again with the other Stasis pod, or are both taken?
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.