Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
RAD-82

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby RAD-82 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:46 am

See that gap? You can't go bigger than that since AE, or the game will crash. Before AE, that gap was one tile wider. While that is a player ship, I assume that enemy ships have the same problem, because CE used to use disconnected rooms for something, but can't anymore.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
Yizzzy

Postby Yizzzy » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:10 am

RAD-82 wrote:Image
See that gap? You can't go bigger than that since AE, or the game will crash. Before AE, that gap was one tile wider. While that is a player ship, I assume that enemy ships have the same problem, because CE used to use disconnected rooms for something, but can't anymore.

Do you mean gap between rooms or gap between the shield and rooms outside of the shield? Either way I'm sure I will try to make it work. Thank you RAD-82 and Chrono Vortex for the knowledge drops. :)
ImageClick the ship for more! With new ships updated frequently.
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:04 am

Chrono Vortex wrote:I bypassed my problem with the enemy ship's target box placement by putting a 1x1 room outside the target box.

RAD-82 wrote:While that is a player ship, I assume that enemy ships have the same problem.

You've gotta be friggen kidding me... Well in that case, is it possible to make a 0x0 room or does that crash the game too?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Captain Markus

Postby Captain Markus » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:04 am

Captain Markus wrote:Guys, anyone knows if I make 3 new systems fully similar to Federation Artillery Beam, and then put all 3 new systems on 1 same room on the ship. Will all of them work?
very interesting...

may be make them invisible for not hurt game HUD, just need that they fire every time on cool down

okay, I ask you wrong question.

checked, and didnt find no one mod, which add new systems to game.
So here is question, is this impossible to add new system, even if new system same copy old one system Artillery ?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:28 am

Chrono Vortex wrote:Alright, I bypassed my problem with the enemy ship's target box placement by putting a 1x1 room outside the target box. Will that cause any problems besides player artillery targeting that room?

Boarding drones might get stuck in that room, I guess... And some other caveats. Though IIRC, CE used such rooms for some of its enemy types (or maybe I'm just misremembering). Maybe Sleeper could elaborate on how he handled that.

Chrono Vortex wrote:You've gotta be friggen kidding me... Well in that case, is it possible to make a 0x0 room or does that crash the game too?

0x0 rooms used to work before AE (and allowed some quite nifty features), but now they crash the game :/

Captain Markus wrote:So here is question, is this impossible to add new system, even if new system same copy old one system Artillery ?

Yup. New systems can't be added. If you copy a systemBlueprint, you simply override the old one. If you change the blueprint's name, it stops being recognized by the game (even if you leave the <type> tag the same).
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Captain Markus

Postby Captain Markus » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:45 am

kartoFlane wrote:
Captain Markus wrote:So here is question, is this impossible to add new system, even if new system same copy old one system Artillery ?

Yup. New systems can't be added. If you copy a systemBlueprint, you simply override the old one. If you change the blueprint's name, it stops being recognized by the game (even if you leave the <type> tag the same).

Thank yu.

Ok then we cant add new system, but we can add Artillery system to any ship. As it work on federal ship or rebel flagship, do you now, probably, if we add 3 artillery system to one room will all of them work or will work only one ?
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:46 pm

Ok, so I'm guessing there's a cap on event choice chains of about 10?

Is there any way to reward more than one weapon to a player at the same time?
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:18 pm

Captain Markus wrote:
Thank yu.

Ok then we cant add new system, but we can add Artillery system to any ship. As it work on federal ship or rebel flagship, do you now, probably, if we add 3 artillery system to one room will all of them work or will work only one ?

Yes you can have multiple artillery. But there are interface issues with it and you can't buy any more systems even if it looks like you have spaces. Also, if you restart the game without returning to the hangar, you lose the excess artillery.

Gencool wrote:Ok, so I'm guessing there's a cap on event choice chains of about 10?

I think Captain's Edition found a way to bypass the caps by making most choices go to a different event. So a surrendering ship would trigger "Surrender options" and lead to "Let them go event" or "Slaughter them event" or "Blue Option Event" rather than make excessive choices in one event. (I do the same thing in my Christmas Mod although that's for convenience)

And I don't think you can give multiple rewards at the same time. You can make a choice chain though where you get one gun after another.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:40 pm

Gencool wrote:Ok, so I'm guessing there's a cap on event choice chains of about 10?

Maybe Hull Swap can provide some information? It sort of falls in line with what stylesrj says.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
zaphod_

Postby zaphod_ » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:46 pm

I'm having some difficulty loading a custom made enemy ship using events. The text works fine, but after taking the choice that should load the ship, nothing happens.

Here's my code:

Code: Select all

<event name="HIJACKER">
   <text>TEST</text>
      <choice>
         <text>CHOICE TEST</text>
         <event>
            <ship load="REBEL_HIJACKER" hostile="true"/>
         </event>   
      </choice>
</event>

Anyone able to shed some light on this? I'm relatively new to the modding scene, and this is driving me nuts.