Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
TheFallenAngel359

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 20

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:51 am

Technically, you could. Type B-unlocks are tied to the achievements, so you could give the player two of the three achievements, unlocking the ship. I've messed around with the FTL Profule Editor, and found that having two achievements without the Type A variant of the ship will unlock it.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:57 pm

zaphod_ wrote:What's wrong with this animation code? It defaults to the basic laser animation in game.
[/code]

I've been told the following when the basic laser pops up when you don't want it :
Sleeper Service wrote:Check your entries, that happens if you assign a bad weapon ID to a ship if I remember correctly. The game can't find the correct weapon and puts that dummy basic laser in as a placeholder.

For me the problem ended up being a typo. Not sure if this will help you or not though...
All I can still say, not knowing your modding skill, is to make sure you don't have any typos (in the code and the names of the images) and the images you're using are in the correct directories.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Mon May 18, 2015 3:14 pm

Shameless plug: FTL ErrorChecker should be able to find such error without too much trouble
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
TheOneAndOnlyRuffDuf

.assets, more like .aaarrrggghhhh

Postby TheOneAndOnlyRuffDuf » Mon May 25, 2015 1:14 am

(Solved)
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Sun May 31, 2015 2:47 pm

Got an issue with a drone schematic I'm modding.
I want to create a duplicate of the ion intruder drone so it only take 1 power to use.
Took the blueprint of the original, changed the blueprint name, changed the power requirement.
Loaded it on my ship and I get this :
Note this is still in testing, so not the final starting equipment ! Double drones do some weird stuff...
So as you can see, the icon shows a standard boarding drone and it also acts like a standard boarding drone when used.

Here's the code I'm using :

Code: Select all

<droneBlueprint name="NEWBOARDER_ION">
   <type>BOARDER</type>
   <tip>tip_boarding</tip>
   <locked>1</locked>
   <title>Ion Intruder Drone</title>
   <short>I. Intruder</short>
   <desc>Breaches through the enemy hull and randomly ionizes systems.</desc>
   <power>1</power>
   <speed>18</speed>
   <cost>65</cost>
   <rarity>0</rarity>
   <iconImage>ionD</iconImage>
</droneBlueprint>

In the ship blueprint it also says :

Code: Select all

<droneList drones="10" count="3">
      <drone name="NEWBOARDER_ION" />
      <drone name="NEWBOARDER_ION" />
      <drone name="NEWBOARDER" />
   </droneList>

With NEWBOARDER being the modded standard boarding drone which works.
I tried putting the droneblueprint in the blueprints.xml.append, got the above pic.
And tried putting it in dlcBlueprints.xml.append, got the above pic as well.

Any ideas? If it should work as it stands, let me know as well please. Always good to know that I'm just the one to have fudged up. It uses already existing images and animations so... Or is this a " Every drone blueprint needs a separate animation code as well even if you just change the power requirement." deal?
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:55 pm

I think it has been discussed in the past somewhere, probably in the CE thread, that ion intruder drones can't be duplicated. The ion intruder drones are hardcoded to the droneBlueprint name, since there is nothing unique in their blueprint to separate them from boarding drones.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Sun May 31, 2015 6:11 pm

RAD-82 wrote:I think it has been discussed in the past somewhere, probably in the CE thread, that ion intruder drones can't be duplicated. The ion intruder drones are hardcoded to the droneBlueprint name, since there is nothing unique in their blueprint to separate them from boarding drones.

Looking over the code I see what you mean...
It's still odd though that it shows the boarding drone image even though it's apparently supposed to be using the ion intruder image which I assume is what the "<iconImage>ionD</iconImage>" is for.
And also explains why there is only 1 of them in CE even though there's like 3 types of the standard boarding drone.

You can at least change the existing one. Don't think it's going to have a huge impact if I lower the power requirement. It won't go down as quickly when enemies use it against you but otherwise...

Thanks RAD-82
Channel link
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sun May 31, 2015 6:57 pm

Biohazard063 wrote:It's still odd though that it shows the boarding drone image even though it's apparently supposed to be using the ion intruder image which I assume is what the "<iconImage>ionD</iconImage>" is for.

This is actually iPad-specific code for the iPad interface. It has no effect on the PC version.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:51 am

Is it possible for enemy ships to spawn with a Heal Bomb naturally (as in edit the code so it pops up with the Burst Laser II)? What defines a weapon as "enemy ships can't have it but you can certainly buy it in stores?"

Of course if enemy ships had heal bombs, there's a good chance that boarding operations they send out will get tougher. But who cares? it'd make things a little bit more difficult, right?
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:26 am

I can tell you to look at autoBlueprints.xml and try to figure it out yourself.

It isn't so much "What defines weapon availability" rather than "This ship has access to this list of weapons."