Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
RAD-82

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 20

Postby RAD-82 » Mon May 04, 2015 4:07 am

@Biohazard063

I assume this ship with the Healing Cluster Bomb is the same mod you were asking about in the CE thread when you were concerned about keeping CE events out of AE?

Unfortunately, the event DISTRESS_STATION_DISEASE is an AE event, so you will need to use some SMM advanced tags in order to add your artillery option without adding CE content to AE for this event.

Try testing this code in events.xml.append:

Code: Select all

<mod:findName type="event" name="DISTRESS_STATION_DISEASE">
   <mod:findLike type="choice"> <mod:selector req="medbay"/>
      <mod:findLike type="event">
         <mod-append:choice hidden="true" req="CLUSTER_HEAL">
            <text>(Artillery) Use the cluster healing bomb to quickly disperse the cure.</text>
            <event>
               <text>You reconfigure your ship's artillery system to disperse the cure in the colony. In a matter of minutes all of the workers are cured. The leaders can hardly believe what you have achieved. They offer you what they can as payment.</text>
               <autoReward level="HIGH">weapon</autoReward>
            </event>
         </mod-append:choice>
      </mod:findLike>
</mod:findName>

Then there is the MANTIS_NAMED_THIEF_DEFEAT event. It appears to be asking for an artillery system at level 2 instead of the CLUSTER_HEAL. This is obviously bad because of artillery on other ships. I haven't gotten around to re-writing this event for you, but you can make it look for the CLUSTER_HEAL first, preventing other ships from using their incorrect artillery for this event, then have it check the level of the artillery afterwards to determine the final result.

edit: I've looked at MANTIS_NAMED_THIEF_DEFEAT again and noticed that CE edits this event, so I've made some potential SMM code for this event. Unfortunately, the reward for this event is what CE edits, so you may either make a CE and non-CE version of your mod, or allow the CE reward to be given in AE. I think it would be fine to give the CE reward in AE (random augment rather than mantis pheromones), so that is what I did in the code I'll post here.

<mod:findName type="event" name="MANTIS_NAMED_THIEF_DEFEAT">
   <mod:findLike type="choice"> <mod:selector req="teleporter"/>
            <text>(Artillery) Quickly drop a cluster healing bomb on him.</text>
            <event>
               <text>Your ship prepares to fire a cluster healing bomb in order to save the life of KazaaakplethKilik.</text>
               <choice hidden="true" req="artillery" max_lvl="1" blue="false">
                  <text>Continue...</text>
                  <event>
                     <text>While waiting for the cluster healing bomb, KazaaakplethKilik uses the last of his strength and gives up the location of his secret stash before dying. You strip the ship wondering what other secrets went with him to the grave.</text>
                     <quest event="MANTIS_NAMED_THIEF_STASH" />
                     <autoReward level="HIGH">standard</autoReward>
                  </event>
               </choice>
               <choice hidden="true" req="artillery" lvl="2" blue="false">
                  <text>Continue...</text>
                  <event>
                     <text>Your haste has paid off and the nanobots from the cluster healing bombs are able to bring him back from the brink of death. When his senses return he says, "I never thought I would see this day, but... I am willing to devote myself and my ships to your cause."</text>
                     <choice hidden="true">
                        <text>Accept.</text>
                        <event>
                           <text>KazaaakplethKilik joins your crew, offers the coordinates for a nearby stash of stolen military goods and transmits the coordinates for a custom cruiser he has been working on. You forward it to the Federation, sure they can make good use of it.</text>
                           <augment name="RANDOM"/>
                           <autoReward level="HIGH">scrap_only</autoReward>
                           <crewMember amount="1" class="mantis" all_skills="2">Kazaaak</crewMember>
                           <unlockShip id="2">A Mantis cruiser has been unlocked and added to the hangar!</unlockShip>
                        </event>
                     </choice>
                  </event>
               </choice>
            </event>
   <mod:findLike type="choice"> <mod:selector req="sensors"/>
            <text>(Artillery) Quickly drop a cluster healing bomb on him.</text>
            <event>
               <text>Your ship prepares to fire a cluster healing bomb in order to save the life of KazaaakplethKilik while you move in to dock with his ship.</text>
               <choice hidden="true" req="artillery" max_lvl="1" blue="false">
                  <text>Continue...</text>
                  <event>
                     <text>While waiting for the cluster healing bomb, KazaaakplethKilik uses the last of his strength and gives up the location of his secret stash before dying. You strip the ship wondering what other secrets went with him to the grave.</text>
                  </event>
               </choice>
               <choice hidden="true" req="artillery" lvl="2" blue="false">
                  <text>Continue...</text>
                  <event>
                     <text>Your haste has paid off and the nanobots from the cluster healing bombs are able to bring him back from the brink of death. When his senses return he says, "I never thought I would see this day, but... I am willing to devote myself and my ships to your cause."</text>
                     <choice hidden="true">
                        <text>Accept.</text>
                        <event>
                           <text>KazaaakplethKilik joins your crew, offers the coordinates for a nearby stash of stolen military goods and transmits the coordinates for a custom cruiser he has been working on. You forward it to the Federation, sure they can make good use of it.</text>
                           <augment name="RANDOM"/>
                           <autoReward level="HIGH">scrap_only</autoReward>
                           <crewMember amount="1" class="mantis" all_skills="2">Kazaaak</crewMember>
                           <unlockShip id="2">A Mantis cruiser has been unlocked and added to the hangar!</unlockShip>
                        </event>
                     </choice>
                  </event>
               </choice>
            </event>
</mod:findName>
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:37 pm

Yes, it's the same ship.

For the Distress station, I ended up removing the blue option for having a heal bomb. Indeed, because it would be confusing to have a blue option for a heal bomb and a separate on for the Cluster Heal.

For Kazaaak, had the exact same thought, but I'm co-creating this ship with someone else just like the last 4 of my ships and he wanted it to only be available for lvl 2 artillery.... I'll probably change it to using the CLUSTER_HEAL again though. I also removed the mantis pheromones as a reward. Could make it give a random augment instead. What's the code for that? Simply : <autoReward level="HIGH">augment</autoReward> ? (With high referring to the amount of scrap and resources you get)

Either way, this looks a lot more professional than my muddling so I'll get it changed before the first version goes live.
So the code block starting with " <mod:findName type="event" name="MANTIS_NAMED_THIEF_DEFEAT"> " is the replacement for my current events_mantis.xml.append then?
And the Distress station bit replaces what I wrote for that event in the events.xml.append then? Alright.
I believe with that bit of working, I'm finally starting to understand the SMM advanced tags a bit.
Thanks yet again.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Tue May 05, 2015 5:26 pm

Biohazard063 wrote:So the code block starting with " <mod:findName type="event" name="MANTIS_NAMED_THIEF_DEFEAT"> " is the replacement for my current events_mantis.xml.append then?
And the Distress station bit replaces what I wrote for that event in the events.xml.append then? Alright.

Yes, these replace your events. You have to remove your old code for these to work.

Biohazard063 wrote:For Kazaaak, ... he wanted it to only be available for lvl 2 artillery

If you can decipher my code, you can see that lvl 2 artillery is still required to save Kazaaak, but I made it so that you have to have the CLUSTER_HEAL before that comes up. If you go into the event with level 1 artillery, he will die, and I made it give the smaller reward of where he gives the location of his stash. Something I did with the code was hide from the player that the game is checking the artillery level. :P

Biohazard063 wrote:I also removed the mantis pheromones as a reward. Could make it give a random augment instead. What's the code for that?

I've already added the random augment in my code using the method already used by the event. I guess the line you posted would also work, but the game didn't use that because it was originally giving a specific augment and had to use this other method to give it.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Tue May 05, 2015 6:02 pm

Changes have been made.
Did manage to decipher your code, I'm fairly decent at reverse engineering.
From what I can decipher, you can use lvl 1 artillery to try and save him but fail making him simply give up his stash,in the same way that hearing him out does. Whilst having lvl 2 actually saves him like a lvl 2 medbay does.
Neat, always wondered how you could make that happen. I thought it had something to do with the :max_group="0"

Pretty sure you could still do that based of the following :

<choice hidden="true" req="cloaking" lvl="1" max_group="0">
            <text>(Cloaking) Use your Cloaking to disable the system.</text>
            <event>
               <text>You use your ship's Cloaking to try to prevent the defense system from getting a lock. However before you are able to safely disable the system your cloaking gives out and you are forced to destroy the satellite. No one was harmed but they don't seem happy with your solution.</text>
               <autoReward level="LOW">standard</autoReward>
            </event>
         </choice>
         <choice hidden="true" req="cloaking" lvl="2" max_group="0">
            <!--DLC!-->
            <text>(Improved Cloaking) Use your Cloaking to disable the system.</text>
            <event>
               <text>You use your ships Cloaking to prevent the defense system from getting a lock. Once closer, you hasten to disable the system without damaging it. It was a sloppy job but they appreciate it and offer a reward.</text>
               <autoReward level="MED">standard</autoReward>
            </event>
         </choice>
         <choice hidden="true" req="cloaking" lvl="3" max_group="0">
            <!--DLC!-->
            <text>(Advanced Cloaking) Use your Cloaking to disable the system.</text>
            <event>
               <text>Your ship's Advanced Cloaking allows you to approach the defense system without an issue. Once closer, you are able to safely disable the system. They thank you for your help and offer a reward.</text>
            </event>
         </choice>

From what I can tell it means only 1 blue option can show up requiring cloaking. Well, if your method works as well, I see no reason to change it.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Tue May 05, 2015 9:07 pm

Yeah, max_group would be able to produce the same effect that I'm doing with max_lvl in this event.

I don't really see why max_group even exists when max_lvl is capable of doing the same thing when limiting options. I'm guessing it was programmed into the game before the idea of max_lvl was added.
zaphod_

Postby zaphod_ » Wed May 13, 2015 12:11 am

Kind of a noob question (hopefully my last for a while). Quick guide on custom drone textures and graphics?
Coolguybest

Postby Coolguybest » Wed May 13, 2015 11:39 pm

I know that someone has made the mod before (Advanced Battlestations being one) that allows more system power in shields, weapons, cloaking, etc. Does anyone know how to edit those files/where they are?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu May 14, 2015 8:45 am

Coolguybest wrote:I know that someone has made the mod before (Advanced Battlestations being one) that allows more system power in shields, weapons, cloaking, etc. Does anyone know how to edit those files/where they are?

FTL location\where you put your data folder\data\blueprints.xml
TheOneAndOnlyRuffDuf

Postby TheOneAndOnlyRuffDuf » Fri May 15, 2015 12:11 am

-- redacted ---
TheOneAndOnlyRuffDuf

Postby TheOneAndOnlyRuffDuf » Fri May 15, 2015 9:26 pm

Where are the sprites for ASB? I've been looking for them with no luck.