Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
fdagpigj

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Postby fdagpigj » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:37 pm

1. How does a heal bomb know it shouldn't heal enemy crew? Is it hardcoded that negative damage will only affect your crew? If so, does that only apply to persDamage or also normal damage?
2. Do the <locked> tag, which appears on bombs, ion weapons, and drones, and the <bp> tag, which appears on most blueprints, do absolutely nothing (in which case, why the heck are they still on post-AE content?)?
3. What factors (that we can change) affect enemy generation? In particular, how do they pick the weapons/drones - does it go by the same rarity as stores?
4. Does any of the stuff in nameEvents.xml work? After a bit of searching here on the forums it sounds like you can test for the amount of crew of a specific race with something along the lines of <choice req="engi" lvl="2"> with the lvl defining how many crew you need. Can anyone confirm, and if it's true, is there any way to test for total number of crew (of all races)?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:24 pm

1. Hardcoded. Negative damage will still heal enemy ships IIRC
2. They're unused, leftover from back when the devs planned to have an in-game ship builder. Since it's a hassle to remove tags that have no effect whatsoever, they were left behind.
3. --
4. Most of it doesn't work, same story as the <bp> tag. I think it is possible to test for number of crew of a specific race, but not total number of crew of all races -- could be wrong, though.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:31 pm

Hardcoded. Negative damage will still heal enemy ships IIRC

Unless it's persdamage. You cannot heal enemy crew no matter how hard you try (which maybe be useful in some circumstances)
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:49 pm

Gencool wrote:I havn't tried this myself, maybe check if there's an autofire button .png for the two-space slot? If not, trying duplicating the one from 3 spaces and renaming it.

Finally got a chance to to look into this. There is an image for a 2 slot weapon system and it indeed doesn't have the autofire button.
On the other hand, neither do the ones for 3 and 4 slots.
So I duplicated the one for 3, renamed it to the one for two and see if that made a difference.
It did, I got the bigger bar. Unfortunately, no autofire button.
Ah well, it's not that big of a deal. 2 Weapons should be manageable right?
Thanks for the help though.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:03 am

fdagpigj wrote: is there any way to test for total number of crew (of all races)?

You need a blueprintList containing all the races to do this.

edit: Appears I'm mistaken. Different items in a list can't be counted together. That is unfortunate.
Last edited by RAD-82 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:18 am

RAD-82 wrote:
fdagpigj wrote: is there any way to test for total number of crew (of all races)?

You need a blueprintList containing all the races to do this.

I don't think specifying the lvl works the same for lists, it might just check whether the number of any of the races in the list satisfies the requirement or not even do anything at all. Meh, I'll give it a try.

@edit
Yeah, adding a level requirement to a list with crew seems to make it impossible to trigger.
sul

Postby sul » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:21 pm

fdagpigj wrote:1. How does a heal bomb know it shouldn't heal enemy crew? Is it hardcoded that negative damage will only affect your crew? If so, does that only apply to persDamage or also normal damage?
2. Do the <locked> tag, which appears on bombs, ion weapons, and drones, and the <bp> tag, which appears on most blueprints, do absolutely nothing (in which case, why the heck are they still on post-AE content?)?
3. What factors (that we can change) affect enemy generation? In particular, how do they pick the weapons/drones - does it go by the same rarity as stores?
4. Does any of the stuff in nameEvents.xml work? After a bit of searching here on the forums it sounds like you can test for the amount of crew of a specific race with something along the lines of <choice req="engi" lvl="2"> with the lvl defining how many crew you need. Can anyone confirm, and if it's true, is there any way to test for total number of crew (of all races)?

3) The crew, weapons and drones are defined in the "shipBlueprint" structure of the enemy (most, but not all, are in autoBlueprints.xml).
Total crewmembers is part random/part depending on how advanced in game you are, but always >=amount and <=max.
Weapons and drones are usually chosen randomly in a list, and how much depends on available power in the system.
rarity does not affect any of those. You can also change augments, ship hull, available power, etc in that structure.

In a few rare cases, there are some override changes to this in the "ship" structure that calls the enemy ship (most are in event_ships.xml). The ship structure is found in events to load the enemy ship during storyline. Sometimes the crew is swapped to certains races with prop, sometimes some weapons are swapped using weaponsOverride. Here is an example of ship structure that does it:
<ship name="SCRSHIP_TEST" auto_blueprint="MANTIS_BOMBER">
<crew><crewMember type="crystal" prop="1"/></crew>
<weaponOverride count="3"><name>ION_STUN</name><name>ION_STUN</name><name>ION_STUN</name></weaponOverride>
</ship>

You can either define new enemy ships (shipBlueprint and ship) or change existing ones. The Slipstream tools (mod-append, modfindLike, etc) are very useful to make some global changes, you can read FASTER WEAPONS for example on my CRAZE page (sorry for blatant advertising) or other mods: viewtopic.php?t=29027
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:50 pm

I'm not quite understanding what meklozz is saying, but I know it can't be to prove me wrong, since I know what I was saying. edit: I'm mistaken, and the rest of this post didn't work how I thought it would.

Example:

Place this in a valid blueprint file:

Code: Select all

<blueprintList name="CREW_COUNT">
   <name>human</name>
   <name>engi</name>
   <name>mantis</name>
   <name>slug</name>
   <name>rock</name>
   <name>crystal</name>
   <name>energy</name>
   <name>anaerobic</name>
   <name>ghost</name>
</blueprintList>

Now you can make choices that can require a specific number of crew, regardless of race:

Code: Select all

<event name="CREWCOUNT_TEST">
   <text>Some examples of choices using a blueprintList as their requirement.</text>
   <choice req="CREW_COUNT" lvl="0" max_lvl="0">
      <text>No crew here.</text>
      <event>
         <text>This ship is AI controlled, unless you lost the last of your crew in the event chain leading up to this point and the game might be waiting for the event chain to end in order to say game over.</text>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice req="CREW_COUNT">
      <text>Crew exist here.</text>
      <event>
         <text>There is crew on this ship, but I don't know how many.</text>
      </event>
   </choice>
   <choice req="CREW_COUNT" lvl="4" max_lvl="5">
      <text>Four or five.</text>
      <event>
         <text>In total, there is either four or five crew on this ship.  I don't know what race they are.</text>
      </event>
   </choice>
</event>
Last edited by RAD-82 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:58 pm

RAD-82 wrote:I'm not quite understanding what meklozz is saying, but I know it can't be to prove me wrong, since I know what I was saying.

I realize now I forgot to say 0 or 1 does work, I'm sorry. But I'm not getting any reaction whatsoever from a higher number, just Continue or 'crew exists here' if I leave it around.
That's what I meant by the lists not working the same way (and seems the same for systems) - it can check for their existence, but while normally lvl refers to different kinds of thing like number or power bars, I guess it can't check for anything specific here.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:38 pm

I thought I've tested this in the past with a list of weapons, but maybe I've remembered wrong. Perhaps lvl can't apply to multiple types of objects. I can't test anymore, so sorry if I gave bad info. Your response clarified the situation for me.