The Ascension Campaign R&D Thread

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
dalolorn

Re: The Ascension Campaign R&D Thread

Postby dalolorn » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:21 pm

NewAgeOfPower wrote:Image

http://imgur.com/HVzWREx

The Healing Beam is derived from rejected Zoltan technology bought on Slug black market. Developed for use on hospital ships; the healing beam uses a low power pulsed laser to pump a rider beam of medical nanites to a target ship.

It's healing effects can restore 50% of a human or similar crewman's durability, but it was rejected from Zoltan service due to it's significant fire risk.

The Khadarin Confederacy, of course, don't mind the fires. In fact, the Rockmen serving in Marauder Assault teams love the 'unfortunate' side effect, and have tuned this device to further increase it's fire chance.

Did that thing actually work ingame? I thought somebody said that only bomb weapons could heal crew.
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:36 am

dalolorn wrote:Did that thing actually work ingame? I thought somebody said that only bomb weapons could heal crew.

Going to go and test that tomorrow. Grueling day of classes and starvation.

In the meantime, a more conventional design:

The Shrike Cannon is 'simply' a quad-barreled rotary version of the Shard Cannon I've already developed for Requiem. Of course, it fires twice the shots and dishes out twice as much pain... At the cost of using more power and consuming twice as much ammunition.
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:09 pm

NewAgeOfPower wrote:
dalolorn wrote:Did that thing actually work ingame? I thought somebody said that only bomb weapons could heal crew.

Going to go and test that tomorrow. Grueling day of classes and starvation.

In the meantime, a more conventional design:

The Shrike Cannon is 'simply' a quad-barreled rotary version of the Shard Cannon I've already developed for Requiem. Of course, it fires twice the shots and dishes out twice as much pain... At the cost of using more power and consuming twice as much ammunition.

Quad-barreled, but does everything double?
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:12 am

dalolorn wrote:

That's trivial; double the amount of Shots, power, missile draw in blueprints...

Finished remastering some of the weapons art and many sound assets in Ascension, but that took much more time than expected (Would have taken even longer without the Error Checker. Merci Beaucoup).

Fixed some text overflow in the HUD titles by name modification. Implemented the Zeik (Spike), the Sandstone-class Light Cruiser. Going to do some actual testing tomorrow.

Oh yeah, I'll need to add gibs... I knew I forgot something.

dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:53 pm

NewAgeOfPower wrote:
dalolorn wrote:

That's trivial; double the amount of Shots, power, missile draw in blueprints...

Finished remastering some of the weapons art and many sound assets in Ascension, but that took much more time than expected (Would have taken even longer without the Error Checker. Merci Beaucoup).

Fixed some text overflow in the HUD titles by name modification. Implemented the Zeik (Spike), the Sandstone-class Light Cruiser. Going to do some actual testing tomorrow.

Oh yeah, I'll need to add gibs... I knew I forgot something.

*facedesks* What was I doing while typing that, sleeping?

I meant to say "Quad-barreled, but everything doubles? :?".
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:39 pm

dalolorn wrote:I meant to say "Quad-barreled, but everything doubles? :?".

Wut dis mean?

kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:36 pm

That'd be me. I planned for the Smaragdos to have a healing beam, but it didn't work out, sadly...

NewAgeOfPower wrote:

Wut dis mean?

I guess dalolorn is confused that the weapon has four barrels, but shoots twice instead of four times *shrug*
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:39 pm

kartoFlane wrote:

That'd be me. I planned for the Smaragdos to have a healing beam, but it didn't work out, sadly...

NewAgeOfPower wrote:

Wut dis mean?

I guess dalolorn is confused that the weapon has four barrels, but shoots twice instead of four times *shrug*

Yeah, I thought I heard about it somewhere

Lol, didn't expect him to not understand it. I would have clarified it eventually, though. :)
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:57 pm

kartoFlane wrote:That'd be me. I planned for the Smaragdos to have a healing beam, but it didn't work out, sadly...

My own testing confirms this. 6 hours of animating, wasted.

Going to need a new weapons system for the Sandstorm class light cruiser.

Proposals are welcome.

Goddamnit. I personally DETEST bombs, as I feel they are one of the most OP weapons systems that modders can make ATM... it's listed under "Big No-Nos" in my internal balance document...

kartoFlane wrote:I guess dalolorn is confused that the weapon has four barrels, but shoots twice instead of four times *shrug*

Erm. The Shard Cannon has 2 barrels and fires twice. The Shrike has 4 barrels and fires four times...

I haven't released the version of Ascension Core Mod with the Shrike in it yet... in fact, I think Ascension hasn't been updated in a month...

EDIT: Fell asleep while coding xml on my keyboard. Ow, that hurts.

NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:29 am

Breakthrough! (potentially) :twisted: :

Remember how we've all been complaining about max upgrade limitations; i.e. changing maximum upgrade value for one ship would give ALL ships that level of maximum upgrade?

Didn't like how Battleships and Fighters would both have the same shielding level, despite one being a 400x800 monstrosity and the other being a 40x200 flea?

This is a brute force solution highly inappropiate to many mods, but appropriate to my own modding project (and anyone who wants to make something similar); set all levels of upgrades for the relevant system to cost 9001 scrap; i.e. you wish to cap a certain ship's Shields to 3 levels, give it starting level 3 shields.

Give the given ship however many layers of shields, engine power, etc, that the given ship is 'supposed' to have.

Obviously, this ruins the standard vanilla feel of growing in power, but for my modification, where you are a Naval Captain with an already-fitted warship, this keeps Frigates from having the same powertrain levels as a BattleCruiser. I suspect if any other modder wants to make a similar mod this will be quite relevant for them.