[Mod/Framework] Universal Starting Beacon 1.2

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Sovereighn2280

Re: [Mod/Framework] Universal Starting Beacon 1.15

Postby Sovereighn2280 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:24 pm

I'm sorry, but what does this do? I may be intelligent, but I have no idea what this mod does just from reading the description.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:37 am

Well, it doesn't really do anything by itself -- it's a framework for other people to use in their own mods.

Sometimes, you might want your mod to have an event happen at the very start of the game, right after the player exits the hangar. You can do this in the original game already, but the problem is, the event would also happen every time you entered a new sector.
Another problem is that if you had installed two mods that had such starting events, the latter mod would override the former, and only one starting event would happen instead of two.

This mod prevents that by providing a new starting event that only happens once during the entire run, at the very beginning of it. It also provides a workaround to allow multiple mods to have their starting events executed.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:29 pm

Heyya!
Ok, this is brilliant, and exactly what I need, however I'm having some difficulty.
I want one event at 'game start', and then a seperate event that happens on every 'sector start' (excluding the game start).

I can't find any code that points to the latter, and using 'START_BEACON' seems to only work for the first one...
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:01 pm

You could try giving each sector other than the starting sector a specific starting event, and then modifying those to suit your idea.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:03 pm

I know the opening post says that START_BEACON is triggered every time a player enters any sector, but that is incorrect. START_BEACON only applies to civilian sectors. Other sector types have their own starting beacons. You have to go into other event files for things like START_BEACON_ENGI and START_BEACON_ROCK.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:23 pm

@RAD-82
Gah, I must've stumbled upon a civillian sector when I tested that then, and didn't bother to test it for other sectors... Corrected the original post to reflect that.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:00 am

:oops: Oops! I should've made this bug report back in January when I was working on a USB-Infinite Space compatibility patch. I just worked around it back then instead of reporting it, maybe because I didn't actually realize what the issue was at the time. I only remembered it because I was about to do some testing on my update for Frankenstein.

Bug: Event START_GAME_BEACON doesn't have any text. As the first event, the game just overwrites that non-existant text with the START_GAME text, and the event can continue to load START_GAME_CHOICES. However, when it is chain-loaded, it is no longer the first event and it doesn't receive that START_GAME text, and since there is no text, the game ends the event chain rather than giving the choice to load START_GAME_CHOICES.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:34 pm

Whoopsy daisy, nice one RAD, haven't noticed that :? Already got it fixed, just gotta come up with some decent flavor text...

edit
Done. Download USB 1.2 here.

Code: Select all

- fixed a bug that would prevent the START_GAME_CHOICES from being triggered whenever the START_GAME_BEACON was chain-loaded.
- this also fixed an issue where your START_GAME_BEACON's event text would not be visible if it happened to be the first event.
- if your START_GAME_BEACON has no event text, you need to give it one, otherwise the framework breaks.
ais523

Re: [Mod/Framework] Universal Starting Beacon 1.2

Postby ais523 » Sat May 14, 2016 11:23 pm

The link to the mod doesn't seem to be working any more (404). Is there anywhere I could get a copy of this from?

(There are some things I want to test about the way that FTL works, and Universal Starting Beacon seems like the easiest way to make a small test event that I can guarantee to run. I can't just change the tutorial events because I want to be able to test them with multiple ships, rather than just the Kestrel.)
kartoFlane

Re: [Mod/Framework] Universal Starting Beacon 1.2

Postby kartoFlane » Sun May 15, 2016 1:16 pm

Done, updated the download link.