[Help Needed] Black Box instead of ship image

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Kiloku

[Help Needed] Black Box instead of ship image

Postby Kiloku » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:24 pm

Hello, everyone. I'm trying to make a ship using SuperLuminal, and everything works, except for the graphic part.

I've added the PNG, and when I cloak the ship in game, I can even see it temporarily, but most of the time I'm flying a black box.
Here's the .ftl file
And here's the .shp file

I sourced the artwork from here, by the way, not claiming it as my own: http://www.colonialchrome.co.uk/Ships/G ... elvian.htm

Can someone help?

EDIT: I somehow solved it, but I'm not sure how. I think it was just adding a blank "floor" image.
5thHorseman

Re: [Help Needed] Black Box instead of ship image

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:32 pm

I have this problem whenever i forget the Floor image. It also happens when my floor image is 100% a transparent image.

To fix it temporarily I make a 100% transparent image and then draw a 1 pixel dot somewhere that will be covered by a room, and use that as the floor image.

To fix it fully, I actually make a floor image :)

Note: The same thing will happen with a cloak, but only while the ship is cloaked. I don't know about shields but it could happen there as well.

EDIT: Weird. I just tried it and it works fine. Well it almost works. The shield isn't coming up! Once you set your shield graphic in SuperLuminal it should work fine.

One final thing, recenter it in SuperLuminal as well. It's a bit low on the screen. It may just be too wide of a ship for the game.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:28 pm

Some things i noticed.

I think the cloak image is in 8-bit depth, u should change it to 32bit depth, as 8-bit depth are not supported by the game (even if they will work sometimes, but its a common issue).

Second, the floor image, as far as i know, is optional, but i dont know if having a floor image exactly like the hull image will produce any glitches, u should make an actual floor image , any reason u didnt??

Third, the hull image reference on the blueprints file should be "myship" without the "_base". Since the game will automatically search for the "_base" and if u already have that in the reference the game will search for "_base_base" and of course it will not find the hull image (maybe thats the reason of the glith, since wat u are looking at is actually the floor image, not the hull). This is a common issue in older versions of superluminal, but i think the last versions doesnt have that glitch anymore. Maybe thats the reason as well, when u use cloak, the hull image is mixed with the cloak image, so if u dont have a hull image , probably that will cause the black box.

But who knows, try to change the image to 32-bit as well just in case.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:20 am

floor image is a layer between hull graphic and the rooms, and is only visible when the rooms are visible, i.e. not when jumping. in game it's used for the grey border around the rooms. if you aren't going to include such a border, you should include a transparent png for the floor layer.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage