Breaking Infinite Space: Suggestions and Review

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
NewAgeOfPower

Breaking Infinite Space: Suggestions and Review

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Tue May 21, 2013 10:17 pm

So, I went through my steam account and realized I didn't play FTL in almost 2 months! Unacceptable!

But vanilla was so... vanilla... and so rather than work on my own mod, I downloaded Infinite Space, fired up Grognak's mod manager, and a dozen hours or so later, I have broken the game.

*Note, I am also using Kieve's Obsidian Cruiser mod, because the ship is absolute eye candy. That, and the starting weapons kit it comes with helps you farm scrap really quickly.

Overview:
Augmentations and Spare Parts/Alternates:

This build takes no thinking at all to obliterate any opponent, the toughest opponent is probably the Pirate BB.

You just hyper in with weapons hot, if they have Zoltan Shields, you launch 3 Advanced Anti-Ship Drones, which chew through shields pretty quickly. Then you unload your massive 12 damage, 6 multiple independent warhead salvo into their shield room, and then cut through 3-4 rooms with the Advanced Beam. With a moderate amount of skill and patience, the Advanced beam is almost always 8-9 damage guaranteed- and with opponents that have clustered room design, its possible to hit 6 rooms for 18 damage!

If they somehow survive the alpha strike, you either wait for them to launch a heavy salvo and Cloak at 1 to dodge incoming hits, or Cloak 3 to reload all your weapons and repeat your alpha strike- and thats if 3 drones don't kill the enemy ship by themselves- if you've hit the engines or disabled the piloting station, 3 Advanced Anti-Ship Drones really melt the opponent.

With 3 crewmen at 6/6 mastery and 5 crewmen at 5/6 mastery (none of them are more than green, or veteran at weapons officer), losing a crewman is far more painful than getting hit a few times or losing a few hundred scrap.

With Zoltan Shields boarding is almost never an issue, since you can roflstomp your opponents with the silly firepower in this build and use cloak to supplement/preserve the boarding immunity, and even 4 Zoltans in a room can overwhelm 2 Mantii, given Medi-Bots. If there weren't events that caused boarders to appear on your ship despite the Zoltan Shields, I'd consider switching to a 6 or even 8 Zoltan build so I could power all my Drones, Weapons, and still max my Shields without setting Oxygen to 0 8-)

Thoughts:

Because of how Defense Drones tend to focus-fire one missile at a time, even if an hypothetical opponent had 3 defenders you'd almost certainly still get 1-2 hits on their shield generator unless the RNG really hates you (happened to me once or twice). Which reminds me, I need to ask Kieve if a beam-based defense drone is possible; i.e. instant-hits against missiles with 100% accuracy, with no/negligible projectile travel time.

Infinite Space needs to give its 'boss' opponents more HP.

If a very powerful and accurate defense against missile-opponent was introduced, you could always switch to TP bombs, Ion or Breach. Fire takes too long to work, during which you get shot at, although it is quite hilarious to set half the enemy ship on fire and burn everything.

Even though bombs tend to be far more power-efficient for damage than Missiles, no bomb system fires two bombs at once- and thus they get screwed over far more often by RNG. I've tried quadruple Bomb builds with this mod and in vanilla, and all too often you get triple or even quadruple misses. I've yet to get all 6 Pegasi missiles to miss, though.

EDIT: Resized images.
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
shark

Re: Breaking Infinite Space: Suggestions and Review

Postby shark » Wed May 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Sounds like a 'good run' rather than a 'broken mod'. It sounds like you had a very enjoyable experience, which is the sole point of single-player games. You downloaded the mod to avoid the bland gameplay the vanilla offers and you weren't disappointed.

If this happens on every run, then yes - it could use some tweaking, but other than that it doesn't sound like you had a bad time at any point of your game, which only testifies to the quality of the mods used, right? :)

"It needs to be harder" isn't a valid opinion/thing to say when you control your gaming environment, you pick what you play. The point is to tune it for your and your alone enjoyment :) HAving said that, if you think the boss needs more HP, just tweak his HP, playtest and if the change is good - let the author know and maybe he includes your change in his mod.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Infinite Space isn't the only way to un-vanilla the game. New Enemy Classes (with its recommended mods installed correctly) totally mixes up combat with more varied enemies, weapons, and drones. Rare enemies also appear with advanced equipment that really raise the difficulty up a notch. Insanity Difficulty is basically designed to challenge overpowered ships. Crusher's Type C(hallenge) Ships are underpowered ships that make the game more difficult. And there's Descent Into Darkness, which makes the early game really fun by being 72 ships in one.
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
shark

Postby shark » Wed May 22, 2013 7:26 pm

We're in the mod-dev section, every thread here is about un-vanilling the game in a different way :)
Like, I had the Drone mod, the overcharged equipment mod, the stolen ships mod... many ways to make the game fun. Best one being making it more fun for everyone, not just you :)
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Thu May 23, 2013 4:36 am

Unable to download Descent into Darkness. Mediafire is being a buttmonkey.

TheNewbie

Postby TheNewbie » Thu May 23, 2013 5:07 am

NewAgeOfPower wrote:Unable to download Descent into Darkness. Mediafire is being a buttmonkey.

I have the same problem. :(
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Thu May 23, 2013 4:30 pm

NewAgeOfPower wrote:Infinite Space needs to give its 'boss' opponents more HP.

Infinite Space wasn't designed with a specific custom ship in mind. That would be a horrible idea. It was always play tested with the base ships. Not that I recommend it, but if you read through the posts there are plenty of people complaining the boss ships are over powered. Of course it's relative to the ship you're playing, and other mods you may or may not have installed.
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Thu May 23, 2013 8:52 pm

I'd rate the Obsidian as stronger than the Fed Cruiser early game, but weaker late game. YMMV.

No other mods were used; its just that if your going to give players the ability to load up a half-dozen Pegasi you need to increase HP levels of your opponents.