Warhammer 40k - Battlefleet Gothic Mod -New Screens!-

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
DauntlessK

Re: Warhammer 40k - Battlefleet Gothic Mod

Postby DauntlessK » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:03 pm

shark wrote:Reading this thread inspires me to make a Blood Bowl mod for Tetris.

Oh Games Workshop. So much awesome yet so ridiculously expensive. If only they didn't make their figures out of gold.
DauntlessK

Postby DauntlessK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:48 am

--UPDATE!--

Artwork for the "Imperious" Imperial Cruiser is complete! I spent a ton of time on the lighting effect and shadows to create the illusion that this flat drawing of a ship is 3D. Hopefully it is pretty obvious. Posted to the first page of the mod! Check it out!
shark

Postby shark » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:22 pm

DauntlessK wrote:
shark wrote:Reading this thread inspires me to make a Blood Bowl mod for Tetris.

Oh Games Workshop. So much awesome yet so ridiculously expensive. If only they didn't make their figures out of gold.

It looks like you missed my point. //which goes deeper than "why are plastic minis pricier than metal ones if you changed to plastic so they could be cheaper?"

The point was:
even though Blood Bowl is a cool thing and a nice game, making it in Tetris wouldn't fit the theme of neither blood bowl, nor tetris. needless to say, it'd be easier to mod Madden into it than Tetris.

much of what you're trying to do will hit dead-end roadblocks. because you come off to me as a guy that designs ideas, fleshes em out on paper, designs more ideas on top of those, fleshes em out further on paper, decides he needs graphics to go with it because they sound good and gets stuck in that "content" loop without first having checked out the "features" loop. Making sure your new features work and can be done can save a lot of drawing time.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
DauntlessK

Postby DauntlessK » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:54 pm

Never played blood bowl so your sarcasm was missed. Besides, I'm not sure how a game of space ship combat isn't for for a game of space ship combat so really I still don't understand the reference.

Well you got part of that right. I have too many ideas much of which can't be done... so sorry for putting those ideas out there. I'm a creative person if you couldn't tell. Ideas and design are my specialty. Though I'm not sure what your blood bowl reference has anything to do with it. I do know what is and isn't capable, I did not skip that stage... If you read my to-do list that I put on my first post recently, I think you'll find everything there is very accomplishable.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:52 pm

To put it bluntly, culling ideas because they're unfeasable is a waste of time. Time that would have been beter spent learning where the limits of modding FTL are, so that you can adjust the complexities of war40k to fit. I have aluded to this myself. Your mod is one of the most ambitious, so if it doesn't go anywhere because you burn out and abandon it, it may struggle to reach playable state because it is simply your first attempt at modding FTL.

Ambitious mod idea + no FTL modding experience. No need for gauging sarcasm or hostility, there wasn't any malicious intent, just a fair warning.

I have been researching adapting another space series into FTL and currently the amount of work required to pull of a quality mod is turning me off on the idea. The concessions to FTL game mechanics would also be considerable, and would require rebalancing all over the shop. I have been toying with this idea for over a month, and during this time i have created 3 ship mods, one which is a beta release currently on hold, another that is nearing completion, and the third, oldest and most ambitious of the lot, that has been languishing for some time. It will be released last, because i did not have the knowledge to complete it before. And those are just ship mods, not total conversions.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
DauntlessK

Postby DauntlessK » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:23 pm

I would have never guessed that when I simply put a few ideas down in one post of what i want ftl to be every one would take it so seriously. Again I point you guys to my to-do list.

I might have to wait until that awesome ftl overdrive project is done or maybe ftl2. Who knows. I appreciate you telling me what is and isn't currently feasible, I really do. But this seems a bit overboard.
shark

Postby shark » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:07 am

Well, it takes exactly those kind of ideas and determination to probe the boundaries to which you can go. And some people, including myself have wasted / willingly invested time on finding those. And also while daydreaming, laid out a few notes of what i'd need to 'learn' to do and after some legwork and a few questions with one of the developers, I quickly realized that most of my ideas weren't possible without investing too much time for too little gain. The disguised hint is - baby steps first.

Didn't stop me from working out a contemporary solution and poke with everything that can be poked in our little box
of pokable things. Which I believe we're all cheering for you to do as well, in a w40k fashion :)

And just in case you missed it, we all chipped in because the list is awesome. I'm rooting for a Ork Kruzer really.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:23 am

And a weapon with any permutation of spleen, rip, bust , lungs or burna! f'k yea
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
DauntlessK

Re: Warhammer 40k - Battlefleet Gothic Mod -New Screens!-

Postby DauntlessK » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:31 am

Hey not a problem. Like I said, I definitely have problems when it comes to wanting to do way more than is possible. Time will tell whether the more advanced things I want to do will come, as you have pointed out, some won't be possible without outside help, aka overdrive or waiting until FTL 2.

With how much detail i'm putting into these models (possibly too much) it takes patience anyway. You guys have helped certainly, which is why my to-do list doesn't involve a mountain of ridiculous tasks at the moment.

[ quote="shark"]I'm rooting for a Ork Kruzer really.[ /quote]

THAT will be interesting for sure. :twisted:
DauntlessK

Re: Warhammer 40k - Battlefleet Gothic Mod -New Screens!-

Postby DauntlessK » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:32 am

New screenshots!! Take a look! :D

Weapons, as I said, aren't final, I'm just showing them off a tiny bit. Still testing them out.