Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
UltraMantis

Re: Serious probs

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:01 am

http://ftlwiki.com/wiki/Modding_Ships

Code: Select all

ROOM
1   - room number, starting from 0.
7   - x coordinate, starting from 0. 0 is the leftmost position a room can have. 1 moves it 35 px to the right, moves it 70 px and so on.
8   - y coordinate, starting from 0. 0 is topmost position. Same as x, each number moves a room by 35 px.
2   - width of a room. you can use any but the game expects 1 or 2 only. each value represents a 35x35 px block.
1   - height of a room. save as above.

DOOR
2   - x coordinate. same as rooms.
2   - y coordinate. same as rooms.
0   - number of room to the left, or above the room you are connecting to (except for airlocks. use number of room you are connecting to in that case).
1   - number of room you are connecting to (except for airlocks. use -1 in that case).
1   - is the door horizontal (0) or vertical (1).

If airlocks dont work, probably the order of conected rooms is reversed.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Spearka

Postby Spearka » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:30 pm

okay, though i know i sound like a complete douche asking this, but i have tried creating airlocks and moved the shield image, but in both instances, it crashed the game, so i would like to ask someoen else to do it instead :P
attatched the most recent data file in previous post
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:32 pm

I checked your data, and it looked good.
Tried patching it and started FTL... all good.

The problem is not in the shiep blueprint or ship.txt/ship.xml. The only issue i have found is that airlocks did not empty the proper rooms. Otherwise the pathing works well, and all rooms are reachable.

For airlocks:

DOOR
2 - x coordinate
7 - y coordinate (coordinates are fine btw)
1 - room to vent (this is the problem, incorrect rooms are being vented)
-1 - -1 is empty space
1 - door orientation: 1- vertical, 0- horizontal (this is ok)
Spearka

Postby Spearka » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:27 am

okay, the airlocks now work, but the shield image is still off-center, i also made some new room images for the rooms i made (since there isn't any existing room images) but it causes the game to crash, as per usual, i am attatching the data file and also the interior files
interior.zip

data.zip
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:30 pm

To get the shield image to match, the best idea is to load both the ship and the shield as layers in an editor. Once you are happy with the position of the shield, crop or resize canvas and export the shield image only. Then export the ship image. Both images must be the same size in order to align properly.

As for the crashes, well there's another typo in the blueprints.xml:

<engines power="2" room="0" start="true" img="room_prometheus_engine"/>
         <slot>
            <direction>right</direction>
            <number>1</number>
         </slot>
      </weapons>

The ending tag is </weapons> and it should be </engines> A copy paste error.

I suspect that your computer screens will not glow properly but i could be wrong. You wont get the FTL ones to align easily, so you may have to make your own. Use the room sprite as a base image, then make a selection to include the screen you wish to glow. Add a new layer and paint the glow colors there, then save only that layer as the _glow.png file.
You can ommit the _glow.png files entirely, the game will work fine, except the screens will allways be grey.

Keep up the good work, this ain't easy to do. :)
GIMP is a program you can use to acomplish both the glows and the shield alignment.
Spearka

Postby Spearka » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:41 pm

UltraMantis wrote:To get the shield image to match, the best idea is to load both the ship and the shield as layers in an editor. Once you are happy with the position of the shield, crop or resize canvas and export the shield image only. Then export the ship image. Both images must be the same size in order to align properly.

As for the crashes, well there's another typo in the blueprints.xml:

<engines power="2" room="0" start="true" img="room_prometheus_engine"/>
         <slot>
            <direction>right</direction>
            <number>1</number>
         </slot>
      </weapons>

The ending tag is </weapons> and it should be </engines> A copy paste error.

I suspect that your computer screens will not glow properly but i could be wrong. You wont get the FTL ones to align easily, so you may have to make your own. Use the room sprite as a base image, then make a selection to include the screen you wish to glow. Add a new layer and paint the glow colors there, then save only that layer as the _glow.png file.
You can ommit the _glow.png files entirely, the game will work fine, except the screens will allways be grey.

Keep up the good work, this ain't easy to do. :)
GIMP is a program you can use to acomplish both the glows and the shield alignment.

i did the alignment, but i do not know if this works since the game won't even start up due to "runtime" errors, i have no idea what is causing this :P
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:33 pm

This usually means a syntax error of sorts. Try checking whether you haven't made some kind of typo, or wrongly placed space.
Comparing to vanilla files might help.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Spearka

Postby Spearka » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:21 pm

kartoFlane wrote:This usually means a syntax error of sorts. Try checking whether you haven't made some kind of typo, or wrongly placed space.

i am pretty sure that isn't it, i never actually got a runtime error due to typos before and even so, i checked for spelling errors and got none
shark

Postby shark » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:39 pm

Spearka wrote:
kartoFlane wrote:This usually means a syntax error of sorts. Try checking whether you haven't made some kind of typo, or wrongly placed space.

i am pretty sure that isn't it, i never actually got a runtime error due to typos before and even so, i checked for spelling errors and got none

You aren't helping us help you. If you're pretty sure you know where the error isn't to be found, post the parts of the code you're unsure about.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:17 pm

a single misplaced > or / is enough to cause the game to crash out with runtime errors. as is an out-of-range number. or all kinds of other things. check everything
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage