[Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal [NOT UPDATED TO AE]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
kartoFlane

Re: [Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - version 13-08-20

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:34 pm

@BrownieTheOne
Wait, what? I'm kinda confused as to what exactly you're doing.
Either way, if you've properly linked everything in the editor, and the files are not deleted/moved/renamed while the editor is running, it should export correctly.
However, if you're opening the ships via File > Load ship from .ftl... option, then it might be quite error prone during exporting / project saving/loading (since the editor unpacks the .ftl to temporary files, which are deleted when no longer in use).
Try File > Include Mod and select the ship you wish to load, restart the editor, then load the ship in question via File > Load ship...

That said, as mentioned in previous posts on this page, there is a bug with the editor that will cause the game to crash if you try playing any ship created with the editor. It'll be fixed later today.

@Vhati
Gotta keep you busy somehow :lol:
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
BrownieTheOne

Postby BrownieTheOne » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Loving your quick and continued support of this tool :D

It looks like I got it working accidentally, as I used the method you described and it loaded the version of the ship I had made, and then when I went into FTL and tried to load it, it crashed the game. Guess I'm just going to wait on that crash fix then!
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:31 pm

Alright, I've updated the 8-20 release with the fixed versions.

Tassyr wrote:Okay, I need help. The 64 bit version says this:
ERROR: It appears that SWT cannot be loaded.
SWT: gtk, version: 4234
This error means that you may have downloaded a wrong version of Superluminal for your system.
The editor still MAY launch successfully, but if it doesn't, try another version of the program.

Looks like you've downloaded the Linux distribution of the editor, but you have Windows 7 installed.
Download superluminal_win_x## and all will be well.
Xorte-Renshe

Postby Xorte-Renshe » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:46 pm

kartoFlane wrote:@Xorte-Renshe
Yup, the files all being in a single line is precisely the reason why it doesn't work.
In a previous update I switched the editor to use LF line endings everywhere (instead of Windows' usual CR+LF), assuming that FTL would still read that correctly.
It works fine for all .xml files, but not so much for the .txt layout files, apparently.

I'll get a fix up later today, after I figure out Tassyr's issue.

Ah, cool! Thanks. So that was the issue. There's my limited understanding of this type of modding at work, haha.
Tassyr

Postby Tassyr » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:50 pm

Boy do I feel dumber than a box of rocks. It was the linux version. That's what I get for trying to do this at 3 am after fighting the other editors... :oops:
Tassyr

Postby Tassyr » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:34 pm

Ignore the gibs question I had, I was using the 'enemy' ones. How do I remove the floor completely? I kinda don't need it. XD
Last edited by Tassyr on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:49 pm

Nope -- gibs are just images, so you'll have to edit/rotate them by hand in a graphic tool, for example Gimp or Photoshop, and then load them back up in the editor.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:48 pm

Tassyr wrote:Ignore the gibs question I had, I was using the 'enemy' ones. How do I remove the floor completely? I kinda don't need it. XD

I've found 2 ways to do it:

• Make a transparent image the same size as your ship. Put a black dot somewhere that will be covered by a room. For some reason, if the image doesn't have that black dot FTL will render it as a huge black rectangle.
  • Load the same image you used for your ship as your floor :lol:

(I'm serious about that 2nd one. It works just fine)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Tassyr

Postby Tassyr » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:54 am

Thank you! That worked GREAT! Last question, I hope. How do I 'rotate' the stations? They're -all- facing the wrong way on the ship I was making, because they try to orient to the top of the cell.

(Also, is there a danger using 1x1's?)
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:02 am

Tassyr wrote:Thank you! That worked GREAT! Last question, I hope. How do I 'rotate' the stations? They're -all- facing the wrong way on the ship I was making, because they try to orient to the top of the cell.

(Also, is there a danger using 1x1's?)

That's another one of those things I don't remember. It's click and a key like shift/alt/ctrl to rotate stations.

And there's nothing wrong with 1x1 rooms though they'll look funny without air unless you use an alternate "no o2" image like my Low O2 Icons. Feel free to include it in your mod or suggest it as an addition in your forum post.

Oh, there's one danger with 1x1 rooms: If you have a lot of them together you can get DECIMATED by beams.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."