[Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal [NOT UPDATED TO AE]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
ZobmieRules

Re: [Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - version 13-12-22

Postby ZobmieRules » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:08 pm

kartoFlane wrote: I appreciate it, and thank you :) Everyone makes mistakes when they're learning new stuff, so no big deal here -- I'm partially to blame, too, because I haven't really provided any kind of tutorial on how to use the editor...

It's pretty self-explanatory. I just jumped right in and got to work (though that may have not been the smartest thing to do xD). The only reason I haven't pumped out a dozen cruisers is that I do custom art for each of my cruisers and that takes a day or two. The thing that helps are the tips (really cool of you to add), and the layman's terms that are in there. Glows weren't explained at all, so I assumed it was just a generic room lighting. That could be solved with just a new "tip".

kartoFlane wrote:
ZobmieRules wrote:So this post actually submits something somewhat useful to the thread, I'll ask a question:
Are you planning on making another version for FTL: Advanced Edition? (It releases tomorrow, I'm so excited!)

Yup, I am working on a new version of the editor specifically for AE -- however, seeing as I'm rewriting the editor from scratch, am busy with college, and will have to figure out all the new AE stuff, the update may get pushed back a bit.
But I guess there's enough new content for people to make it through a month or two without needing mods :P

Yeah, of course. Take your time. I think I speak for the whole community when I say that I'd prefer to have a great tool in like, 6 months than an alright tool in three weeks. In case I've forgotten to say it, thanks for all the work you've put in for us. If I could, I'd donate some coin for ya'. xD

While I have the opportunity to talk to the dev of this software, may I ask:
How many ships did you yourself make in Superluminal?
or
How often do/did you use your own software to make cruisers?

One little suggestion, though? Please add in a way to zoom! :lol: Because we're dealing with pixel art ships, and having to align things, I've found myself trying to "ctrl-plus" all the time, to no avail. I work at a ~1600% zoom in Gimp for making the art, and when I transition to Superluminal, I keep wondering "Huh, why can't I- oh, yeah, whoops. xD"
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:13 pm

ZobmieRules wrote:While I have the opportunity to talk to the dev of this software, may I ask:
How many ships did you yourself make in Superluminal?

I made about four fully functional ships, two of which I have published (the Auto Cruiser and the Smaragdos). I used to play around with the editor from time to time in the few months following its release, but nothing ever really came out of it.
ZobmieRules wrote:How often do/did you use your own software to make cruisers?

Not counting all that time I've spent testing and debugging every feature? :lol: Not that much... I did create all of my ships using the editor, but I just don't spend that much time on modding anymore. I don't play as much FTL as you'd expect -- frankly, I don't think I have played any FTL for months now.

ZobmieRules wrote:One little suggestion, though? Please add in a way to zoom! :lol: Because we're dealing with pixel art ships, and having to align things, I've found myself trying to "ctrl-plus" all the time, to no avail. I work at a ~1600% zoom in Gimp for making the art, and when I transition to Superluminal, I keep wondering "Huh, why can't I- oh, yeah, whoops. xD"

I know, I feel that way myself sometimes :P But that may be a bit tricky to implement... I never designed the editor with moving or scaling the viewport in mind, and I never really tried doing something like it.
Although, now that I think about it, I do have an idea how to go about this... But I'd need to test this first, and even then it's not terribly high-priority right now.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
ZobmieRules

Postby ZobmieRules » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:45 am

kartoFlane wrote:I made about four fully functional ships, two of which I have published

"Fully" functional ships? I think it'd only uhh... benefit the community if you'd decide to err... upload those cruisers as well? I'm asking too much, sorry, it's just that the two you HAVE shown off are awesome, and you've peaked my interest by saying that. If it's not rude, may I at least ask what they're like? xD

kartoFlane wrote:
-- frankly, I don't think I have played any FTL for months now.

Yeah, my original FTL "phase" lasted only a month or so, but now that I've found the modding/custom content side of FTL, my love for it is at an all-time high. Especially now that I can make some content myself, thanks to you.

kartoFlane wrote:
ZobmieRules wrote:One little suggestion, though? Please add in a way to zoom! :lol: Because we're dealing with pixel art ships, and having to align things, I've found myself trying to "ctrl-plus" all the time, to no avail. I work at a ~1600% zoom in Gimp for making the art, and when I transition to Superluminal, I keep wondering "Huh, why can't I- oh, yeah, whoops. xD"

I know, I feel that way myself sometimes :P But that may be a bit tricky to implement... I never designed the editor with moving or scaling the viewport in mind, and I never really tried doing something like it.
Although, now that I think about it, I do have an idea how to go about this... But I'd need to test this first, and even then it's not terribly high-priority right now.

Like I said before, no one's trying to rush you. I just provided feedback because I enjoy what you've made and I'd love to see it be even better. I'm happy that something may come out of this. Think of it this way, it's just anothing thing helping you to potentially gain more experience in design/programming. ;)
Sciguystfm

Postby Sciguystfm » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:50 am

Any interest in updating for the advanced edition that just came out?
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:38 am

Sciguystfm wrote:Any interest in updating for the advanced edition that just came out?

You're not big on reading previous posts, are you?

That's all we've been talking about for the past week on this thread.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Kamakazie Pidgeon

Postby Kamakazie Pidgeon » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:21 pm

I have a issue with the program. I have a mac i have downloaded both 64 and 32 bit versions updated my java and when i open the program nothing happens. The icon bounces as if it opens then it dissapears. I've looked at the permissions thing and i don't have that file anyway. Can someone help?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:42 pm

Hmm. Would you mind testing something for me? I have a possible fix for the major.minor.51 error (which is the most likely culprit), but I have no way of testing whether it works (since I don't have a Mac)

Fixed version here: nope
Let me know how it goes.

Edit:
Apparently I messed compiler settings up, and the editor still "required" Java7 to run. You can get the (hopefully) Java6-compatible Mac version of the editor here (the ones with _java6 at the end)
Last edited by kartoFlane on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Mr_Wary

Postby Mr_Wary » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:33 pm

Hello kartoFlane,

I have just a quick question for you.
I would like to create a basic ship without any of the new stuff. Can I use your non-updated version or not ?
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:01 pm

Mr_Wary wrote:Hello kartoFlane,

I have just a quick question for you.
I would like to create a basic ship without any of the new stuff. Can I use your non-updated version or not ?

You could just... not add any of the new systems...
Mr_Wary

Postby Mr_Wary » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:24 am

English Narwhal wrote:You could just... not add any of the new systems...

Ok thank you, it's my plan.
I just didn't know if the update changed the basics systems too !