Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Capt. Spongeatom

Re: [Tool] Yet Another FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - u2-2-

Postby Capt. Spongeatom » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:28 pm

4AM? Jesus, even I pass out at 4AM.
Capt. Spongeatom

Postby Capt. Spongeatom » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:41 pm

kartoFlane wrote:Got it, found where the error lies, working on a fix now.
...damn, so many bugs, that's what you get for coding at 4 AM. .__.

edit: I have narrowed it down to some weapons' images causing problems (specifically CRYSTAL_1 and FED_ARTILLERY). Is that what you were trying to change in the ship properties? If you could narrow it down to one specific element, that'd help me a great deal.

I did try to include FED_ARTILLERY, yes.
aaaaaaaand that's the problem. That was indeed the problem. So now I know to avoid those until the next update. Cool. Got it. A'right.

Thanks, by the way!

Edit: Um, now my custom hull doesn't show up ingame? Thinking that this is a problem on my part, but still, someone help please?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:21 pm

1. Open your .ftl package (it's just a renamed .zip) and check if your ship's image is included in img/ship/.
2. Does the original file share name with any of this list? (better use ctrl+F for that). If yes, you have to rename it (or check the Don't check if files are already present box, but the former solution is preferred).

Edit: on second thought, DO try to export your ship again with the Don't check if files are already present box checked, I've found a small mistake in my exporting function (basically it performs the default name check on the renamed file, not the original one)
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Capt. Spongeatom

Postby Capt. Spongeatom » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:58 pm

kartoFlane wrote:1. Open your .ftl package (it's just a renamed .zip) and check if your ship's image is included in img/ship/.
2. Does the original file share name with any of this list? (better use ctrl+F for that). If yes, you have to rename it (or check the Don't check if files are already present box, but the former solution is preferred).

Edit: on second thought, DO try to export your ship again with the Don't check if files are already present box checked, I've found a small mistake in my exporting function (basically it performs the default name check on the renamed file, not the original one)

Still not showing up :cry:
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:37 pm

I can't replicate your problem, it's working fine for me. I'm completely clueless as to what could be the cause :/
One last thing you could try checking is the blueprints.xml.append file in your .ftl package... Open it up and in the first line find the img= tag and what it's set to, note that name and then go to the /img/ship/ directory and check if the copied files contain that name.
Other than that, I've completely no idea.
Tweevle

Postby Tweevle » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:55 pm

First off, great editor!

I have been getting a replicable bug, though - on enemy ships if I try to move one particular weapon mount the program crashes. It appears to happen on every enemy ship and it's always one mount in particular; the others always work fine. Also, when I've loaded a ship and then try and create a new one, the shield oval is carried over into the new file.

I don't know much about Java, but would it be possible to implement an undo/redo function? That'd make it a bit easier to work with.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:37 pm

I've fixed the weapon mount crash now, I think. Wasn't too difficult. The shield oval is taken care of as well.
As for the undo function... It'd be tricky, I think. Mostly because I've no idea how to implement it (though to be frank, I haven't thought about it that much). I'd need to research it a bit, look how it is done in other programs, whether it's just simply remembering previous states of variables or something more sophisticated.

Either way, a new update is pretty much ready, I'm gonna upload it within an hour. Just got to check a few minor things.
Capt. Spongeatom

Postby Capt. Spongeatom » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:57 pm

kartoFlane wrote:I can't replicate your problem, it's working fine for me. I'm completely clueless as to what could be the cause :/
One last thing you could try checking is the blueprints.xml.append file in your .ftl package... Open it up and in the first line find the img= tag and what it's set to, note that name and then go to the /img/ship/ directory and check if the copied files contain that name.
Other than that, I've completely no idea.

This will probably be a rather stupid question but... how do I open the blueprints.xml.append file? :oops:
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:29 pm

Just use any text editor. It's a regular .xml file, but since it has .append extension at the end, the OS doesn't automatically recognise it.

By the way, new update's out.
Changes:
  • Added - The number of crewmen now cannot exceed the maximum.
  • Added - Enemy ships can now have random crew set. On player ships, this option defaults to humans.
  • Added - Hull, shield, floor, cloak and miniship buttons now have an image on them, which indicates whether the image has been set or not (only checks whether the path is set, not whether the image itself exists)
  • Added - Errors console, which automatically pops up when any errors occur during ship loading or exporting.
  • Fixed - Fixed zoltan crew not loading/saving properly.
  • Fixed - Weapon mounts with images should now get highlighted properly. Also, they can now be selected by clicking on the actual weapon image.
  • Fixed - Fixed crapload of other small bugs, issues, tweaks, etc that I've since forgotten about.

Download directory: Superluminal 3-2-13
Tweevle

Re: [Tool] Yet Another FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - u3-2-

Postby Tweevle » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:20 pm

That's fixed it, but now the enemy ships don't seem to be loading their systems any more? Apart from the Auto-Scout's drone control system, bizarrely. Maybe it's just me, I'm not sure. Also, it appears that if you click Properties after loading a project saved in an earlier version it crashes the program.

I've been messing around with it for a little while and came up with some ideas to improve functionality and convenience (some of these might not be possible/already exist but I haven't found them yet):
  • Some way of telling which weapon mount corresponds to which slot.
  • Make the work space a little bit bigger towards the bottom so things don't get cut off as much.
  • A "nudge" function with the arrow keys, e.g. pressing right makes the selected element move right by one pixel or grid cell. Shift+arrow key could make pixel element move by 35 pixels (one grid cell), to make re-aligning things easier.
  • Similar to the above, little buttons next to the arbitrary position boxes that add or subtract 35, so you don't have to work it out yourself.
  • Stop things jumping to the top-left when you shift-click to select them (this may be a bug, I'm not sure) - it makes using the precision mode a bit of a pain.
  • Perhaps re-allocate precision mode to ctrl-drag and change shift-drag to only move things along one axis, like it works it Photoshop.
  • Make alt-dragging resize shields around their centre rather than from one edge.
  • Possibly the ability to select more than one element at once by ctrl-clicking, so you can move things around easier?
  • The ability to set enemy ships' shields, weapons and engines to a maximum of 10, which happens sometimes in vanilla.
  • The ability to uncheck "available at start" for systems on enemy ships (so that not all of them will have that system).
  • Under properties, minimum and maximum sector attributes for enemy ships.
  • An option to turn off the automatic assigning of room-graphics on saving (since enemy ships don't have them).
  • A way to unload graphics as well as just replacing them e.g. the floor graphic.
  • Being able to change the shield graphic on loading enemy ships; at the moment you have to place a room and then delete it before the button is available.
  • Perhaps the ability to hide the shield oval entirely without also hiding the hull.
  • Possibly a way to preview the cloak and pirate versions of the ship.
  • Using two different default directories for loading/saving projects and loading graphics - at the moment if you're doing both it means you have to jump around a lot.
  • Change "R-click" in the tooltips to "right-click" - maybe I'm just stupid but for a while I thought it meant pressing the R key + left clicking!
  • Perhaps some way to convert a player ship project into a enemy ship project and vice versa.
  • Make the Auto-Scout appear on the enemy ships list - it appears to be missing at the moment.
  • Gibs editing, although of course you're already working on that.

Sorry for the massive wall of text! But it's so well polished already that at least some of these things would make it closer to perfect.