[Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal [NOT UPDATED TO AE]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Heplrox

Re: [Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - u5-3-13

Postby Heplrox » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:02 pm

First, I'd like to say this is the best ship editor/maker tool out there. The others can't do what this one can.

Second, I'm having an issue with the editor. On some of my ships when I load them into FTL the hull is a black box and on another oone of my ships the Gibs are black boxes (in FTL), but in the editor all the images are what they are suppose to be. I have been using Grognaks Mod Manager to add them to the game. Please any help you can give me to ficing this problem would be greatly apperciated. Also, if you need more information to assist me please say so.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:28 pm

Are those your custom-made ships, or ships loaded from the default game files?
My knowledge on graphical technicalities is rather scarce, but the only thing I can think of is that the images you're using were saved with different color depth (or some other setting), and this might somehow be messing with FTL/editor.
Also, all images should be in PNG format - any other might cause all sorts of weird bugs, such as the issue you're having.

And thank you :)
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
alphase7en

Postby alphase7en » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:18 pm

I'm having trouble getting this mod installed.

I'm on a 32-bit Windows 7 machine running the latest version of x86 Java. I download, unzip, run the .exe, and nothing happens. I noticed the superluminal config txt file there... can you just tell me what specific addresses I need to plug in there to make it work? It doesn't seem to want to auto-run.

Thanks.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Config appears, so the app runs... Check the debug.log for any crash reports and post them here.
If I were to guess I'd say that the editor did not find FTL in any of the default locations, and somehow it crashes instead of just allowing you to find it.

(edit: just download fixed version instead)

Either way, there is a way to omit that step, though it's a little bit of work; open up superluminal.ini and write this:

Code: Select all

dataPath = archives\data
resPath = archives\resources

Save and close.

Go to your desktop and create a folder named "archives", and inside it another one called "resources" (both are case sensitive!)
Now, you will have to unpack the game archives. You can use FTL Dat Manager to do this. Once downloaded, open it up, click on Open and navigate to your data.dat file located in FTL\resources\ and open it.
Select the item at the very top of the list that appears, then click on Export and choose the archives folder you've created earlier, accept.
Now, open the resources.dat, and do the exact same thing, but select the resources folder in the export dialog.

Once that's done, move the archives folder into Superluminal's directory. Try running the app again.

edit:
Just checked the code and indeed, there was a bug that would cause the app to crash when it did not find the file in any of the default installations. Fixed it.

edit 2:
Uploaded fixed versions.

edit 3:
Uploaded yet another fixed version - restored compatibility with projects from previous versions.
Heplrox

Postby Heplrox » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:57 pm

kartoFlane wrote:Are those your custom-made ships, or ships loaded from the default game files?
My knowledge on graphical technicalities is rather scarce, but the only thing I can think of is that the images you're using were saved with different color depth (or some other setting), and this might somehow be messing with FTL/editor.
Also, all images should be in PNG format - any other might cause all sorts of weird bugs, such as the issue you're having.

And thank you :)

They are custom ships I'm having issues with. The files are PNG format. Do you happen to know what color depth the images are suppose to be in?
kartoFlane

Re: [Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - 5-3-13b

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:26 am

32 bit RGB. Here's the post where I found it mentioned: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10845&start=10#p36387 - seems like it's been the exact same issue.
Heplrox

Postby Heplrox » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:37 pm

Thank you for your help. That was the problem. My ships and gib images are working as they should be.

I do have another question however. Do you have a tutorial on how to use the gib editor? When I do it I, in game the bibs appear before the ship has been destroyed. So, you see the broken parts of the ship underneath the whole ship.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Glad it worked.
And regarding the gibs editor... There's not much I can do to help you. If the gibs appear even before the ship is destroyed, then that's how FTL handles that stuff internally - apparently the gibs are shown at all times.
So you can't make gibs that have different shape than the intact ship.
Weltall Zero

Postby Weltall Zero » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:16 pm

kartoFlane wrote:edit:
Just checked the code and indeed, there was a bug that would cause the app to crash when it did not find the file in any of the default installations. Fixed it.

edit 2:
Uploaded fixed versions.

edit 3:
Uploaded yet another fixed version - restored compatibility with projects from previous versions.

You freaking rock. I just wanted to give you a big thank you and a virtual hug for all that effort, it's much, much appreciated. :)
I really should take some time to give the finishing touches to my couple of projects (a couple of Star Control 2 ships and the Normandy SR2) and post them here. It's such a pleasure to edit ships now... it's even more addicting than FTL!
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:32 am

Hi again, if i double click with the right mouse button, the editor just closes. I didnt notice this since i never wanted to restore the vertical offset , but i tried and everytime i do it, the editor just closes, without any error msg and anything.

Second, is there a chance that u change the way the editor handles the coordinates?? i cant get 1 single ship to show in the right position in the ship hangar. I always need to move the ship up or down.

I mean, when i make a ship from the beginning, and i use it in game, 2 things could happen. If im lucky and the position of the ship is ok, everything is ok and i dont need to have a headache. But if the position of the ship is not right (99% of the times), my world gets down trying to re-position the ship in the correct place.

Just tell me 1 thing , so i can do proper tests -> if i use the editor and i open the game, and in the hangar the ship is placed too down, how do i need to move the ship/rooms in the editor to move the ship up???

My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage