[Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal [NOT UPDATED TO AE]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Weltall Zero

Re: [Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - b26-2-13

Postby Weltall Zero » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:24 pm

kartoFlane wrote:@Weltall Zero
Whoa. This is really weird. The error is actually related to rooms, how you got it with mounts is beyond me. And I can't seem to be able to reproduce it... What exactly were you doing?
That said, I've already fixed it, but still, I can't comprehend how it happened in the first place...

I'm trying to reproduce it making a ship from scratch, but I can't seem to. It only fails with ships I had already created.
I have to leave the house now; I'll try to investigate it further later today or next week. Alternatively, if you put your new version online, I can check if it solves it. :)
xdiesp

Postby xdiesp » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:47 pm

Weltall Zero wrote:You can do something as simple as a .bat that zips them all up and then renames the resulting .zip. Just check your .zip utility's command line.

I did not know about making .ftl on the fly, thanks! So, I have tried opening the simplest .ftl file I could make with Superluminal and it appeared to contained image files. Are those necessary, or can you skip them if you are not planning to change the graphics?
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:04 pm

xdiesp wrote:
Weltall Zero wrote:You can do something as simple as a .bat that zips them all up and then renames the resulting .zip. Just check your .zip utility's command line.

I did not know about making .ftl on the fly, thanks! So, I have tried opening the simplest .ftl file I could make with Superluminal and it appeared to contained image files. Are those necessary, or can you skip them if you are not planning to change the graphics?

From Grognak's Mod Manager:
Creating an .ftl File

A .ftl file is simply a renamed .zip with a specific file structure. For an example, try renaming and unpacking the example .ftl file that comes with the program.

The root of the ZIP file should contain one or more of these folders:
  • data/
  • audio/
  • fonts/
  • img/
You should ONLY put in the files that you want to modify. This keeps mod sizes low and prevents major conflict between mods.

The Append Extension

Any file in your .ftl with the extension .xml.append will be appended to its respective vanilla file. (See the example mod.)

It is highly recommended that you take advantage of this as much as possible. As a rule of thumb, if you're editing an event xml file, you're going to want to append your changes rather then flat out replace the file. Keep in mind that you can override vanilla events to your pleasure by having the same event name, and using .append helps prevent mod conflict.

Programming languages often have functions to create zips on the fly too.
xdiesp

Postby xdiesp » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:00 pm

Thanks. I don't get exactly what the "append" thing is, but I guess that I just want to completely replace the ship's xml and that's enough.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:51 pm

xdiesp wrote:Thanks. I don't get exactly what the "append" thing is, but I guess that I just want to completely replace the ship's xml and that's enough.

There are a lot of things in the vanilla blueprints.xml for instance.

If you made a zip that contained data/blueprints.xml, and your blueprints file had a new/replacement weaponBlueprint... After applying the mod, the entire file would be clobbered (weapons, ships, augments, everything gone) to have only what you wrote, your weapon, in it.

If you made a zip that contained data/blueprints.xml.append, and your blueprints file had a new/replacement weaponBlueprint... All the vanilla stuff would be there, plus your weapon tacked onto the end. The weapon's "name" attribute determines whether your weapon will override an existing weapon in-game.
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:05 pm

I discovered wat was giving me so many headaches. I didnt notice, when u start a ship on superluminal, the coordinates are not the real ones, the anchor is not located at the point 0,0, so when u make the ship, u need to manually move the anchor to the upper left corner, if u want to work with the real coordinates. I wasnt doing that, and i never undesrtand y the editor was writing "50" and it was "20" for real, for example.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:00 pm

Yeah, it may be kinda confusing - generally, all displayed coordinates are in the window-relative coordinates, not "FTL-relative". The correct, in-game coordinates are calculated during exporting.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:55 am

kartoFlane wrote:Yeah, it may be kinda confusing - generally, all displayed coordinates are in the window-relative coordinates, not "FTL-relative". The correct, in-game coordinates are calculated during exporting.

But moving the anchor to the point 0,0 is useful right?? or its useless? i mean, does the editor change the coordinates if u move the anchor to the 0,0 point or it keep using the same coordinates that when u started the editor??
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
kartoFlane

Re: [Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - u5-3-13

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:09 am

@speedoflight
No, you had the right idea -- moving the anchor to the top left corner will cause the coordinates to be virtually the same for both the editor and the game. Pretty clever.

----

New update's out - 5-3-13.

Chagelog:
  • Fixed - Fixed crystal cruiser 2 being classified as "other" instead of "player".
  • Fixed - Fixed arrow keys not working with text fields
  • Fixed - Fixed tab inserting tabs in description field, instead of jumping to the next field.
  • Fixed - Fixed the editor not detecting the unpacked archives after the directory was moved somewhere else (changed paths to be relative)
  • Fixed - Fixed precision of gibs' linear and angular velocities to two decimal places in shipname.xml
  • Fixed - Fixed an error in exported enemy ship blueprints ("droneList missiles=")
  • Fixed - Fixed a bug causing the editor to crash when a new ship was loaded while hull was still selected
  • Fixed - Fixed double-clicking on the list in ship choice dialog without any selection causing a crash
  • Fixed - Fixed weapon mounts positioning - should be 100% accurate now, at least most of the time
  • Added - Added ship choice dialog for regular ship loading
  • Added - Added possibility to import room layout from shipname.txt - not thoroughly tested, but should work
  • Added - Added "About" window.
  • Added - Added a progress bar for archive unpacking
  • Added - Archive window will now try to locate FTL installation by checking default paths - if found, the dialogs will open to this location - thanks to Vhati.
  • Added - Added option to show/hide grid, accessible via View menu, or by pressing X
  • Added - Added possibility to view powered/unpowered states of weapons - alt-left-click on mount to toggle it.
  • Added - In export window, it is now possible to write path into the text field - an alternative to the browse button
  • Changed - Weapon mounts now can be placed without having to set weapon slots, up to a maximum of 8.
    To compensate, the editor will export only the first 4 (or less, equal to number of weapon slots) mounts that have slide other than NO. If the ship has artillery, the first mount with a NO slide will be exported as artillery mount.

Dropbox Download Directory: Superluminal 5-3-13
ad.fly link to the above
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
UltraMantis

Re: [Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - u5-3-13

Postby UltraMantis » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:16 am

Nice big fat list of changes there. Good work. :)
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.