[Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal [NOT UPDATED TO AE]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
ZigzagMag

Re: [Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - version 13-08-20

Postby ZigzagMag » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:27 am

PLEASE HELP ME. For some reason i have done everything right havnt left anything out but for some reason my ship is not loading and just crashes my ftl when i try to click on it. please help me. if there was a way to show you the file it would be great because someone could probably tell me whats wrong
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:55 am

You can upload the ship here. Free and no signup required.

My best guess.. if FTL loads ok, but crashes the moment you select the ship in the hangar, then there is porbably a typo in the mod, or you tried using an illegal value somewhere.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:09 pm

5thHorseman wrote:One minor thing I noticed, You've got "ARTILLERY_BOSS_4" listed as "Heavy Ion" in the Lasers. I'm not sure what it should be but at least one of those things is wrong :D

Yeah, the weapon categorizing is very error prone... Since all ion weapons are listed as LASER, the only way to distinguish ions from regular lasers is to check if blueprint/title has "ion" in it.

5thHorseman wrote:Also, if you have two weapons set up as Ion Blast and Mini Beam (not drone), and then swap them in the properties (I deleted the top one and then readded it so it would be the 2nd one) the location of the arrows changes. I'm not sure if that's happened before or if it's intended, but it makes me think the weapon placements moved. I haven't checked it in the resultant FTL files yet.

Thanks, I didn't notice that! Fiddled around with it a little - the exported weapon locations are almost certain to be changing. I'll look into it, but it might be somewhat tricky to fix.

Edit:
I've updated the 8-20 release. Fixed the issue with mounts having incorrect positions if their assigned weapon was changed.
Also fixed an oversight in undo/redo for the mount properties, which would cause the other mount to not be redone (if index was modified)

That said, the editor is probably scheduled for a rewrite sometime in the future... It's becoming completely unmaintainable in its current state.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Xorte-Renshe

Postby Xorte-Renshe » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:11 pm

I've looked everywhere for an answer to this, and although people have seemed to have similar problems, I've yet to see a fix to it (that worked for me):
The .ftl files Superluminal exports crash the game when I click "new game" at the main menu. In the stats screen, the "mini" image works fine, but that's all I'm able to check because of this problem.

I followed every step to the letter when it came to the written and video tutorials (albeit the video one was done on an earlier version of this tool, but most of it still applied). Yet this problem persists.

I thought it might have just been that I did something wrong with my mod, but I checked that by taking an already existing mod that I have used before (the Enterprise D one), opening it in Superluminal, and then re-extracting it as a new .ftl file. Despite the original working perfectly, this re-extracted one crashed the game. Thus, it seems as though it's a compatibility issue between Superluminal and my game.

Just to cover all the bases, I have whatever version of FTL that Steam has most recently installed. I'm not sure which version that is, if it's incompatible with the current version of Superluminal (13-08-20).

Any help, please? ///益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Superluminal doesn't export custom weapons/drones and the like, only the files directly related to the ship - ie. shipname.txt, shipname.xml, and blueprints.xml.append with the ship's blueprint only.

So if your ship uses modded weapons/drones/augments/etc, it'll crash when you try playing it.
To fix this, you have to open the .ftl file (or export without checking "create .ftl file"), and put the required blueprints in corresponding files.

If it still doesn't work or the above is not the case, upload the two .ftl files here (both the working and broken Enterprise D), so I can figure out what's wrong and fix it, if it's the editor's fault.
Xorte-Renshe

Postby Xorte-Renshe » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:57 pm

kartoFlane wrote:Superluminal doesn't export custom weapons/drones and the like, only the files directly related to the ship - ie. shipname.txt, shipname.xml, and blueprints.xml.append with the ship's blueprint only.

So if your ship uses modded weapons/drones/augments/etc, it'll crash when you try playing it.
To fix this, you have to open the .ftl file (or export without checking "create .ftl file"), and put the required blueprints in corresponding files.

If it still doesn't work or the above is not the case, upload the two .ftl files here (both the working and broken Enterprise D), so I can figure out what's wrong and fix it, if it's the editor's fault.

Thanks for the quick reply! ///_^
My own mod doesn't use custom weapons/drones/augments (at least, I never told it to, I'm pretty sure), but I'm not positive about the Enterprise D.
The original file is the one called "EnterpriseD", while the re-packaged one is called "Galaxy". I could send you my mod (as it stands) if you want to check that as well.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bd2qd ... _files.rar

===EDIT===
(Just to preface, what I tried didn't work, but here's just some more information.)
So, I was looking at the .txt and .xml files in the data folder, and I noticed that the ones I made with Superluminal looked like this:
http://i.imgur.com/8cx3WYw.jpg
as opposed to, say, the Enterprise's files that looked like this:
http://i.imgur.com/l9ci9vk.jpg

I tried manually editting the Vesta's (my mod's) file to resemble the way the parsed-looking Enterprise's files looked (basically, with the .txt file, I pressed the left arrow key until there would be a double halt -in other words, I'd have to press it twice to get it past a number or word- and then press enter. The double halt told me where the paragraph breaks were supposed to be. Then, with the .xml file, it was easy to know where to press enter, just by how it was layed out.)

Didn't work. I might have made a mistake somewhere in the .txt one, but perhaps this isn't the issue at all. Either way, just brining it to your attention.
Tassyr

Postby Tassyr » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:05 am

Okay, I need help. The 64 bit version says this:
ERROR: It appears that SWT cannot be loaded.
SWT: gtk, version: 4234
This error means that you may have downloaded a wrong version of Superluminal for your system.
The editor still MAY launch successfully, but if it doesn't, try another version of the program.

But the 32 bit version says this.
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Could not load SWT library. Reasons:
no swt-gtk-4234 in java.library.path
no swt-gtk in java.library.path
Can't load library: C:\Users\Dare\.swt\lib\win32\x86\swt-gtk-4234.dll
Can't load library: C:\Users\Dare\.swt\lib\win32\x86\swt-gtk.dll

at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.C.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
at com.kartoflane.superluminal.core.Main.open(Main.java:454)
at com.kartoflane.superluminal.core.Main.main(Main.java:418)

Someone who knows java- could I have that in english so I know what to FIX? All I want to do is rebuild a ship...
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:22 am

@Tassyr
Huh. Looks like I bundled something wrong, the program is looking for the library in completely wrong places.

@Xorte-Renshe
Yup, the files all being in a single line is precisely the reason why it doesn't work.
In a previous update I switched the editor to use LF line endings everywhere (instead of Windows' usual CR+LF), assuming that FTL would still read that correctly.
It works fine for all .xml files, but not so much for the .txt layout files, apparently.

I'll get a fix up later today, after I figure out Tassyr's issue.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:06 am

kartoFlane wrote:In a previous update I switched the editor to use LF line endings everywhere (instead of Windows' usual CR+LF), assuming that FTL would still read that correctly.
It works fine for all .xml files, but not so much for the .txt layout files, apparently.

Finding new ways to break the game, eh? :lol:

I'll teach the new mod manager to watch for that (Validate warning + Fix during patching + readme).
At the moment, layout txt is copied unaltered.
Oh, I inadvertently did that myself when writing SMM. ;)
While appending xml, it starts by switching to LF for convenience, but I forgot to reinstate CRLF when done.
BrownieTheOne

Postby BrownieTheOne » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:07 pm

So I grabbed this tool looking to get into modding a few of the modded ships I've started using, and to use this as maybe a starting point to get into some more overhaul-ish modding. Unfortunately, it appears the only assets I can use for images are ones in the mod's files if I've already tried to export the ship. The problem here is that when I try to export the ship as a .ftl it will export all the assets to folders, but can't create the .ftl because it can't find the hull/cloak assets, despite them being present in the folders it has created.

Am I missing something important here? Or would it be possible to compress it all into a .ftl somehow for GMM to read?