[MOD][WIP] The Buffalo: Beta (v0.9)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
EchoesofOld

Re: [MOD][WIP] The Buffalo

Postby EchoesofOld » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:42 pm

BrenTenkage wrote:I'd make a new lets play of it, but I want to see some original weapons as well

Maybe on my next ship, as this is intended to be an unarmed vessel. I'll look around and see what I can come up with that hasn't already been done
The Rebel Flagship: The only ship to make the DemonStar look like a pansy.

Be ye wary of the ship with the demon airlock...
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:36 pm

Well, the 4-slot medbay was a suggestion from a player-friendly standpoint - if you have a 4-slot teleport, it's a pain having to heal 3 at a time only.
Crew can move through doors simultaneously, but it would take the bottom row longer to go through the top door and down to the bottom of the medbay rather than straight across. Just a 'fluidity' suggestion there.
The image, fyi, is (unless I'm terribly mistaken) a ship from Gratuitous Space Battles.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
EchoesofOld

Postby EchoesofOld » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:39 pm

DryEagle wrote:Well, the 4-slot medbay was a suggestion from a player-friendly standpoint - if you have a 4-slot teleport, it's a pain having to heal 3 at a time only.
Crew can move through doors simultaneously, but it would take the bottom row longer to go through the top door and down to the bottom of the medbay rather than straight across. Just a 'fluidity' suggestion there.
The image, fyi, is (unless I'm terribly mistaken) a ship from Gratuitous Space Battles.

That it is. I was doing some research this afternoon and it is indeed a Gratuitous Space Battles vessel. They make great ship backgrounds for someone like me who is a horrible artist. :P

And I see what you're saying with the Medbay. I'll change that in v0.3.

alextfish

Postby alextfish » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:19 pm

Both having a functional 4-slot medbay, and putting the medbay adjacent to the teleporter, are player-friendly choices in that they make life a bit easier for the boarding player.

Now, of course, not every player wants life to be made easy for them. And we shouldn't necessarily aim to make the player's life easy in every way. (Starting the game with full power in every system makes the game kinda pointless, after all.) So there's an argument against making the player's life that easy.

On the other hand, these abilities just kinda smooth things over, letting the player get healed up after combat more easily. It's not often that an event's result will be swung due to having the medbay adjacent to the teleporter. So there is an argument for making these kind of minor smoothing choices, to let the play focus on more significant issues.

Do note however that almost all the base-game ships position the teleporter a significant distance from the medbay. It may be for good gameplay reasons (since obviously it's natural to want the medbay and teleporter adjacent).
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:20 am

I saw the updated layout and you, sir, are a cruel, evil person.
Airlock in the oxygen room? That's bound to end well... :twisted:
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
EchoesofOld

Postby EchoesofOld » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:55 am

DryEagle wrote:I saw the updated layout and you, sir, are a cruel, evil person.
Airlock in the oxygen room? That's bound to end well... :twisted:

Well, it was that or Teleport & medbay on polar opposite sides of the ship... :P

mrguy888

Postby mrguy888 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:31 am

Here is my thoughts. The problem with this ship is that it takes a lot longer to take out the crew of a ship than it is to disable the weapons. Cloak is fine for the first volley but the second and third are likely both hitting for full. The stealth ships have pretty high fire power so they work. I see this ship taking way too much damage in every fight. Correct me if I am wrong about this.

I don't really know how to fix that issue and keep late game balance. Starting with 4 mantises might be an option but as soon as you get shields you would be pretty OP. A lockdown bomb might be a cool idea too but I think those are pretty OP too.
EchoesofOld

Postby EchoesofOld » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:17 pm

mrguy888 wrote:Here is my thoughts. The problem with this ship is that it takes a lot longer to take out the crew of a ship than it is to disable the weapons. Cloak is fine for the first volley but the second and third are likely both hitting for full. The stealth ships have pretty high fire power so they work. I see this ship taking way too much damage in every fight. Correct me if I am wrong about this.

I don't really know how to fix that issue and keep late game balance. Starting with 4 mantises might be an option but as soon as you get shields you would be pretty OP. A lockdown bomb might be a cool idea too but I think those are pretty OP too.

That's the challenge to this ship. You gotta hustle to get shields up and running ASAP

EchoesofOld

Re: [MOD][WIP] The Buffalo: Beta (v0.1)

Postby EchoesofOld » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:08 pm

Ok folks, ive gotten my images lined up, and correct room visuals loaded up. BUT, I still need to tweak my room slots and stuff. I added the appropriate lines of code for engines and shields, and the game now crashes on start up. What did I do wrong?

Code: Select all

<!--tempfix-->
<shipBlueprint name="PLAYER_SHIP_HARD" layout="kestral" img="kestral">
   <class>ReCon: Diplomat</class>
   <name>The Buffalo</name>
   <desc>The Diplomatic ReCon vessels are unarmed, peaceful vessels that want only the best for all they encounter.  Too bad no one else knows that...</desc>
   <systemList>
      <shields power="2" room="6" start="true" img="room_shields_8" />
      <weapons power="1" room="7" start="true" img="room_weapons_5" />
         <slot>
            <direction>right</direction>
            <number>1</number>
         </slot>
      <pilot power="1" room="10" start="true" img="room_pilot_2">
         <slot>
            <direction>right</direction>
            <number>1</number>
         </slot>
      </pilot>
      <engines power="4" room="2" start="true" img="room_engines_3" />
         <slot>
            <direction>up</direction>
            <number>1</number>
         </slot>
      <drones power="2" room="3" start="false" img="room_drones_7" />
      <cloaking power="1" room="5" start="true" img="room_cloaking_5" />
      <medbay power="1" room="9" start="true" img="room_medbay">
         <slot>
            <number>1</number>
         </slot>
      </medbay>
      <oxygen power="1" room="0" start="true" img="room_oxygen_2" />
      <doors power="1" room="1" start="false" img="room_doors_6" />
      <sensors power="2" room="4" start="true" img="room_sensors_6" />
      <teleporter power="1" room="8" start="true" img="room_teleporter" />
   </systemList>
   <weaponSlots>3</weaponSlots>
   <droneSlots>4</droneSlots>
   <weaponList count="0" missiles="8" />
   <droneList count="0" drones="0" />
   <aug name="FTL_JUMPER" />
   <aug name="ADV_SCANNERS" />
   <health amount="30" />
   <maxPower amount="15" />
   <crewCount amount="1" class="engi" />
   <crewCount amount="1" class="mantis" />
   <crewCount amount="1" class="energy" />
   <crewCount amount="1" class="crystal" />
</shipBlueprint>

Kieve

Re: [MOD][WIP] The Buffalo: Beta (v0.1)

Postby Kieve » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:14 pm

EchoesofOld wrote:Ok folks, ive gotten my images lined up, and correct room visuals loaded up. BUT, I still need to tweak my room slots and stuff. I added the appropriate lines of code for engines and shields, and the game now crashes on start up. What did I do wrong?

Code: Select all

<engines power="4" room="2" start="true" img="room_engines_3" /> <!--Remove ending slash>
         <slot>
            <direction>up</direction>
            <number>1</number>
         </slot>
<!--missing your </engines> closing tag here.>

Little coding hiccup with your engines tag there. ;) Fix that up and it should work.