MOD REQUEST: boarding ship

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
DryEagle

Re: MOD REQUEST: boarding ship

Postby DryEagle » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:25 am

NewAgeOfPower wrote:You run into minor problems vs AI ships without oxygen.

if you have a level 2+ teleport, or rock/crystal crew, you can beam them back before they suffocate
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:49 am

DryEagle wrote:

if you have a level 2+ teleport, or rock/crystal crew, you can beam them back before they suffocate

That's true, but you have no way to deal the last point of damage without sacrificing a crew member. That's the reason that my Overlord has a Beam Drone. It's basically useless except for the two situations a boarding ship has problems with: Zoltan shield and dealing the last point of damage to AI ships (once you've destroyed their shields).
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
shark

Postby shark » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:58 pm

alextfish wrote:
DryEagle wrote:

*snip*

Boarding drone ;)
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:37 am

shark wrote:Boarding drone ;)
Doesn't always work - if you get one of the compartmentalised ones, and the drone lands in an empty room...
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
shark

Postby shark » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:00 pm

DryEagle wrote:
Doesn't always work - if you get one of the compartmentalised ones, and the drone lands in an empty room...

Flee or pull out a gun. Overengineering a sureproof solution that never fails is terrible game design.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
The Hawk

Postby The Hawk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:36 am

DryEagle wrote:If you can provide me with a good-looking graphic I will happily build a ship to your specifications ;)

I'd be happy if you'd take the stealth cruiser type b for the ship's graphic! :D
Also, thanks for everyone for helping me and this thread so far! Keep it up. :mrgreen:
The Hawk

Postby The Hawk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:03 pm

shark wrote:
DryEagle wrote:

Flee or pull out a gun. Overengineering a sureproof solution that never fails is terrible game design.

Weapon system is kind of a sure proof solution, unlike boarding.
shark

Postby shark » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:08 pm

The Hawk wrote:Weapon system is kind of a sure proof solution, unlike boarding.

that one isn't overengineered, it's pretty straight-forward and the default way of playing actually ;)
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
The Hawk

Postby The Hawk » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:31 pm

shark wrote:
The Hawk wrote:Weapon system is kind of a sure proof solution, unlike boarding.

that one isn't overengineered, it's pretty straight-forward and the default way of playing actually ;)

Default way of playing? So you are implying that other ways are not meant to be played? Something that is not the default way of playing is to use game breaking benefits or cheat and stuff. I consider weapon system to be more like the majorly used system for fighting but not a "default" way of playing. If this is what you meant, then sorry for misunderstanding you.

And when I say majorly used system for fighting, I base myself on the fact that there few boarding ships made. By ftl modders, I've seen more "shoot to win" than everything else.
shark

Postby shark » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:46 pm

Looking at the initial design for the game (and the product), it seems implied that 90% of conflicts are to be solved by your guns or engines.

With drones and buyable augmentations we bring it down to 60-70%. With neat modding and systems extending and big teleporters, and long cloakings etc we can bring it down to about 30%. But at one point you are gonna need a gun in this game. And a good one at that.

.... because if you beat the endboss by boarding you lose the game before you win it.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.