[wip] U.S.A.F. Daedalus class battlecruser.

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
vashts1985

[wip] U.S.A.F. Daedalus class battlecruser.

Postby vashts1985 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:04 am

early wip. basic stuff dome up in Draftsight.
hashed lines will be weapon hardpoints

still working on layouts and crap. need to finish the vector and paint first though
thashepherd

Re: [wip] U.S.A.F. Daedalus class battlecruser.

Postby thashepherd » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:40 am

Hey, buddy - you might want to upload your picture in a different manner, since we can't see the whole pic as things stand now.

Without seeing any in-game work, though, I just want to say that I find the name "U.S.A.F. Daedalus" to be evocative. I'd say (absent feedback) that I'm the "realistic" guy when it comes to Sonata weapons and ships, and I love seeing more of that. It gives me ideas.

Please, tell us more about the history and technology of your Daedalus! What suns has it touched, what scars have been burned into its hull?

Finally (in absentia of comments from Kieve) let me give you the FTL forum spiel: your ship will go over better if you can demonstrate some in-game material, and we'd encourage you to give us a screenshot in the hangar. It's not that creating a layout and throwing a ship in-game is difficult; it's just that it takes a certain amount of work. We'd love to welcome you into the FTL modding community, and the price of that entry is some work in game!

Will be watching.
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
TJJ

Postby TJJ » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:48 am

thashepherd wrote:Hey, buddy - you might want to upload your picture in a different manner, since we can't see the whole pic as things stand now.

It's just cropped by the forum's layout; the image is still complete.
Right click the image->view image to see it complete & independent of the forum layout.

Without seeing any in-game work, though, I just want to say that I find the name "U.S.A.F. Daedalus" to be evocative. I'd say (absent feedback) that I'm the "realistic" guy when it comes to Sonata weapons and ships, and I love seeing more of that. It gives me ideas.

Please, tell us more about the history and technology of your Daedalus! What suns has it touched, what scars have been burned into its hull?

Finally (in absentia of comments from Kieve) let me give you the FTL forum spiel: your ship will go over better if you can demonstrate some in-game material, and we'd encourage you to give us a screenshot in the hangar. It's not that creating a layout and throwing a ship in-game is difficult; it's just that it takes a certain amount of work. We'd love to welcome you into the FTL modding community, and the price of that entry is some work in game!

Will be watching.

Sounds like you are not familiar with Stargate SG1/Atlantis. That's where the OP has been inspired from.

Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen!
Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here!

Kieve

Postby Kieve » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:21 am

Never seen more than the original Stargate movie, so the Daedalus is new material to me, but I like what I see so far. I imagine it'll be more impressive once you start cell-shading and filling in the ship.
A word of caution: it seems pretty goddamn huge! Large ships can be... shall we say, difficult to work with. You may find yourself running out of space both horizontally and vertically once game GUI is taken into account. I recommend scaling down a little, if possible. Last thing you want is to wind up unable to click your pilot room because the flagship's "Target" window is overlapping it.

thashepherd wrote:Finally (in absentia of comments from Kieve) let me give you the FTL forum spiel: your ship will go over better if you can demonstrate some in-game material...

They only get that spiel if they show nothing to indicate an attempt at modding for themselves. ;)
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:33 am

Yeah - we're talking about zero familiarity :)

I'm aware that you can still view the image, it's just a call to forum professionalism...or whatever it is we have.

And Kieve, clearly I am not man enough to fill your shoes! lol
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
vashts1985

Postby vashts1985 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:09 am

Kieve wrote:Never seen more than the original Stargate movie, so the Daedalus is new material to me, but I like what I see so far. I imagine it'll be more impressive once you start cell-shading and filling in the ship.
A word of caution: it seems pretty goddamn huge! Large ships can be... shall we say, difficult to work with. You may find yourself running out of space both horizontally and vertically once game GUI is taken into account. I recommend scaling down a little, if possible. Last thing you want is to wind up unable to click your pilot room because the flagship's "Target" window is overlapping it.

thashepherd wrote:Finally (in absentia of comments from Kieve) let me give you the FTL forum spiel: your ship will go over better if you can demonstrate some in-game material...

They only get that spiel if they show nothing to indicate an attempt at modding for themselves. ;)

the plan is to scale it to an existing ship (im thinking the Osprey). the rooms wont represent a 1:1, because it is a really large ship. i think the beauty of this game is not having to create deck plans in immaculate detail, just enough to be believable.