[TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open source!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
olteonz

Re: [TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.88] (Please test!)

Postby olteonz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:28 pm

Darkfrost wrote:Yeah, the way weapons work on enemy ships is slightly different, and I'm not entirely sure how it works, it seems there's a list of weapons they randomly pick from or something?

Weapon mounts I haven't looked into too much yet, if someone could link / explain exactly how they work, I could probably get them added a bit faster :)

hey, i think i got it. there is a xml for ships in data for every ship and those lines are from the file of kestrel B the slide is what direction is the weapon, mirror is if the weapon has a mirror image, gib is to what gib are weapons connected when ship is destroyed and x,y is the position. rotate is if the weapon is rotated to up or right i think. no idea what is artillery mounts testing. propobly didnt help, but maybe i did :) .
<weaponMounts>
<mount x="540" y="170" rotate="true" mirror="true" gib="6" slide="up"/>
<mount x="540" y="274" rotate="true" mirror="false" gib="6" slide="down"/>
<mount x="390" y="135" rotate="true" mirror="true" gib="5" slide="up"/>
<mount x="390" y="309" rotate="true" mirror="false" gib="5" slide="down"/>
<!-- artillery mounts testing -->
<mount x="540" y="170" rotate="true" mirror="true" gib="6" slide="up"/>
<mount x="540" y="274" rotate="true" mirror="false" gib="6" slide="down"/>
<mount x="390" y="135" rotate="true" mirror="true" gib="5" slide="up"/>
<mount x="390" y="309" rotate="true" mirror="false" gib="5" slide="down"/>
</weaponMounts>
Absu

Postby Absu » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:03 pm

I think "mirror" means that the weapon is the mirror or not. It seem to affect the offset on the y-axis in the animations.xml (if the offset is up or down). It might also affect it's position and if it's inverted vertically or not.
robochibi

Postby robochibi » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:17 pm

Absu wrote:@OP: If you're not developing this any more do you think you could release the source files? I just really want to be able to update the blueprints-files directly with the new data as well as create and update the ship-XML file (also TXT-file). It's really annoying to have to realign the ship's image manually in the XML-file.

P.S. Just asking because the OP haven't been updated in some time. I'm sorry if you're working on this. Don't mean to rush. I'm just working on my mod and I'm anxious to do a lot of work with adding lots of ships :)

I agree with Absu that all three of you including tazadar and DarkFrost need to collaborate on a single ship editor for the good of the community. This one is the most complete but is still a long way from working in the game. I believe a ship-editor is the most valuable mod for FTL.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:29 am

Got this working pretty smoothly with GMM. Works nice, at least for hacking the Kestrel into a Medivac :) Good job!

One question: Is it possible to remove weapons from ships? If I select the Kestrel's 2nd weapon and press Del, that seems to leave the dialog looking as if it should have no weapon there, but when I load it up in FTL the second weapon's still there.

I encountered a few minor bugs:
  • When you have the options window open in front of the ship editing window, if you click on a dropdown that happens to be in front of one of the ship editing window's buttons like "Load floor", it'll count as a click on that button even if I was clicking in the options window not the ship edit window!
  • I also encountered the bug where the close button doesn't close the window permanently (it immediately reopens). It only happens if you've not yet selected a ship to be editing. I can close the program either via Task Manager -> Kill Process, or by selecting a ship from the game folder and then using the close button as normal.
  • And I think when I export to XML, it both creates the xml file called blueprint.xml, and also asks what name to save the xml as.

Finally: What's the best way to save a ship so that I can actually load it back into FTL Ship Editor? If I export as XML and then reload that XML via "From the game folder" -> "Custom file", it keeps some parts of the ship, but loses all the weapons and drones, and gets rather confused about the crew counts. How should I be saving and loading?

Many thanks for the tool!
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
legorules1001

Postby legorules1001 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:44 pm

how do you accutally save the ship/use it in the game?
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:11 pm

legorules1001 wrote:how do you accutally save the ship/use it in the game?
Install GMM (Grognak's Mod Manager). Then from within FTL Ship Editor, click "Options", click "Export to .ftl". Copy the .ftl file that it produces into your FTL /mods/ directory. Run GMM and click your new ship, then click Patch. Then launch FTL and enjoy.

If anyone knows how to reload a saved ship into FTL Ship Editor without it losing all the weapons / drones / augments, though, it'd be grand if you could tell me.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
Mattamue

Postby Mattamue » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:21 pm

I got this error when I try to export to a .ftl for a rock ship I was editing:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Faster Than Light\FTLShipEdit\PLAYER_SHIP_ROCK refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet on your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location."

How do I fix this? I have noticed that I can only see the 'unpacked' data.dat and resource.dat when I am in the explorer within FTLShipEdit and they show up with a lock on them. They are not in the normal explorer.
Jedi_1993

Postby Jedi_1993 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:46 pm

I've created a layout of rooms and a custom base/floor to go with it. I used the Crystal_B ship to start with. But whatever I do, the base and floor do not show up in-game. They do however show up in the editor. Am I exporting it wrong? Do I need to put the images somewhere specific?
The rooms turn up fine, as does the custom crew, augments etc. It's just the images. I'm pretty certain I'm not putting them in the right place but can't figure out where? They are currently in the img folder in both the PLAYER_SHIP_CRYSTAL_2 and resources folders within the editors files. Help?
Ginger Dragon

Postby Ginger Dragon » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:32 pm

Jedi_1993 wrote:I've created a layout of rooms and a custom base/floor to go with it. I used the Crystal_B ship to start with. But whatever I do, the base and floor do not show up in-game. They do however show up in the editor. Am I exporting it wrong? Do I need to put the images somewhere specific?
The rooms turn up fine, as does the custom crew, augments etc. It's just the images. I'm pretty certain I'm not putting them in the right place but can't figure out where? They are currently in the img folder in both the PLAYER_SHIP_CRYSTAL_2 and resources folders within the editors files. Help?

You need to place the "_base", "_floor", "_shield", and "_gib" images directly into the resource.dat unpacked > img > ship folder.
Check out my youtube channel. I do FTL mod playthroughs, as well as all kinds of other assorted games.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GingerDragon87?feature=mhee
Jedi_1993

Postby Jedi_1993 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:51 pm

Ginger Dragon wrote:
Jedi_1993 wrote:I've created a layout of rooms and a custom base/floor to go with it. I used the Crystal_B ship to start with. But whatever I do, the base and floor do not show up in-game. They do however show up in the editor. Am I exporting it wrong? Do I need to put the images somewhere specific?

You need to place the "_base", "_floor", "_shield", and "_gib" images directly into the resource.dat unpacked > img > ship folder.

I cannot find the unpacked folder, I can only see the .dat files within my FTL > resources folder.
Unless you mean the FTLShipEdit > resource > img > ship folder, which is where they are currently.
:/