[MOD] Better Planets and Backgrounds 1.3.2

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Re: [MOD] Better Planets and Backgrounds 1.3.1

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:39 am

The AE pulsar could get redone, to match the sheer epicness of the BPaB sun. ;) It's up to sanmunko I guess.
sanmonku

Postby sanmonku » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:44 pm

isn't the pulsar ipad only? because i see only in the ipad folder a pulsar background, that is not used in "events_imageList.xml" and has the wrong resolution...

i've took a quick look at a few other xml files and didn't find anything pulsar related... at least image related
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:17 pm

sanmonku wrote:isn't the pulsar ipad only?

Like, in the game? No. There are pulsars in the game in all platforms. I hit one in (IIRC) the very first jump of my very first AE LP video.

Here's the vid.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:38 pm

Yep, exists on all platforms. The separation between I-pad and original files in the folder hasn't so much to do with on which platform the images will actually be used. The PC/Linux/Mac release uses quite a few of of the I-pad folder images, for example the stuff for the map.
Estel

Postby Estel » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:22 pm

Summing it up, it would be great to have prettified versions of background from ipad folder, too, as they're used in PC version. Sanmonku, up for the task? :)

Speaking of which - pulsar is actually animated (quite simple animation, but still adds to the effect). I don't know if it's in your expertise area, but it would be great to make it animated in BPAB(AA), too. I wonder, does AE actually allow to make regular "class m-star" animated, too?

Last but not least, please, PLEASE take look at graphic used for ABS artillery. It super-ugly. It's worse than that. Actually, its, IMO, single worst looking graphic in whole FTL. It looks like rebels started to shot out Giant Gelatinous Cubes of D&D fame at us.

I'm not expert at graphic re-dos, but as Sleepy suggested, they may be as ugly cause they start as small graphic and are scaled 5-6 times up during their "flight" from rebel fleet to us (from "inside" screen to 4th wall, in player direction). Which makes them having pixels as huge as Rock crewmember. I think that using more uniform color for them might reduce the pixelness. Also, their color is terrible - it looks like pudding. Making it actually green (like heavy lasers, Artillery lasers, etc) might help, too.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your work sanmi!

/Cheers,
/Estel
sanmonku

Postby sanmonku » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:04 pm

this.forum.just.won't.let.me.post.anything:roll:

yeah found it... the pulsar animation is quite cheap...
and i can't believe that backgrounds from the ipad folder are used, because they have a different resolution...

have to play the game first before i'm going to make anything, and i have no idea when this will be... but what i know for sure is, that i won't change any non cosmic related graphics.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:22 am

Since the AE has redone the way that the beacon map looks I think we could use some new map images. The devs have essentially blown up the map images, but they look pretty bad now because the resolution is messed up. If you have some time I would appreciate if you made some images to replace them. :D
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:05 am

Thought I would post this here since I would like sanmonku's opinion if possible. :)

I took some time to redo the images for the beacon map since I really don't like the resolution on the new ones now. I think they look pretty good, but maybe someone more experienced could do something better. It took me a while, but I found the original version of the images from NASA, copied them into gimp, resized them, did a bit of sharpening, and layered over them the hex pattern of the text screen (tried to recreate it as best I could) to try to stay as close to the vanilla style. I'm pretty happy with them, but I think they look "slightly" too dark... Way more detailed though.

Anyway maybe someone else could do better? SOmeone with more experience and a program other than GIMP? ;) If you want the original NASA images just PM and I can send them to you. What do you guys think?

Zone_1
Zone_2
Zone_3

The blue you see is my WIP on redoing the UI to sort of match the style of FTL Remastered. Pay it no mind... ;)
ScubaSteve3465

Postby ScubaSteve3465 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:27 am

How would I go about using those beacon images?
CoryStarkiller

Postby CoryStarkiller » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:05 am

Do we need to run Asteroids with BPaB 1.3.1?