[MOD] Starcraft Conversion v0.5: 18 new ships!

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
alextfish

Re: [MOD] Starcraft Conversion v0.5: 18 new ships!

Postby alextfish » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:04 am

Ginger Dragon wrote:I'm pretty sure that enemy weapons just target rooms at entirely at random, so I don't think moving the oxygen room would do much, I'm just unlucky/lucky depending on how you look at it.
Normal weapons, yes. But I think beams take a diagonal line between two rooms chosen at random; and the O2 room is en route between a lot of other room-pairs. If it was the northernmost room, it'd only get hit if it were one of the two endpoints.

Ginger Dragon wrote:Also, I love the idea of the Reconstitution Gland!

Refilling 5 health per at the beginning of the sector could be a good idea, but I'm not sure how you could limit it to only Zerg ships. Maybe you could add a ship specific event at the beginning of the sector? But that would allow for the Warp Prism to do it as well, and could be quite time consuming I think.I feel that giving them Rock Plating (Chitinous Plating) instead of regenerative carapace might be a better idea, especially since now they'll have the Repair Drone to help fix hull breaches as well.
I think I'd make it a blue option for Parasitic Healing. I could even update the text for Parasitic Healing to make it clear that it does that; so that players would realise before selling it. (Also, currently it can be bought in shops. If I let it stay in shops then that'd clarify that you'd get that effect for buying it too :) )
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
RetryAgain

Postby RetryAgain » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:48 pm

Do the ships in this mod replace any of the existing ones? I'd love to use it if not.
Ginger Dragon

Postby Ginger Dragon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:54 am

RetryAgain wrote:Do the ships in this mod replace any of the existing ones? I'd love to use it if not.

All modded ships replace in-game ones, thats just the way FTL mods work. If you want to play the vanilla ones again, just uninstall the mod (have GMM patch the game with nothing selected).
Check out my youtube channel. I do FTL mod playthroughs, as well as all kinds of other assorted games.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GingerDragon87?feature=mhee
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:38 pm

Yeah. These ships replace all the existing ships. But it's easy to just quickly run GMM before FTL if you decide you're in the mood for some base-game ships sometimes.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
y0sho

Postby y0sho » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:08 pm

This mod is awesome. Not only do the ships look great, but they give a different play style than the original ones. Its really fun. Thanks for making it.
aztechrome

Postby aztechrome » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:09 am

Thanks for this great mod!

Here's a backup Bayfiles link for the mod files:
http://bayfiles.com/file/EzSD/2BtaBu/St ... FTL_mod.7z
or
http://bit.ly/XA6ymh

Just in case the private server this is on stops working at some point.

Regards.

- aztechrome
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:18 pm

Thanks for the mirror. Toothycat.net is pretty reliable - it's run by a close friend of mine and hosts a number of artists' websites, so it can handle some pretty intensive traffic - but it's always fine to have other mirrors. (I'm not very keen on BayFiles, but whatever.) Thanks for zipping them up together and making a single archive, especially with proper credit - cheers.

In fact, for similar reasons, it'd make sense to host the mod on some other sites too. I've uploaded it to ModDB here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/ftl-starcraft-conversion
DarthVader12

Postby DarthVader12 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:02 pm

Thanks for this great mod! I am trying it out now. One question though what is SC2Text.ftl file and why don't we need it? Link
Annilalate

Postby Annilalate » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:32 pm

This is an excellent mod. The ships seem well balanced, if not a tad bit more difficult to use. My only problem is that some of the ships (like the Carrier) don't have symmetrical doors, and one in particular (the Queen) is completely asymmetrical. While this is not a big deal, it does make me wince.

One thing I might suggest is possibly adding some of the HotS air units (though the only one that would REALLY fit in the FTL world is the Tempest, and I'm not entirely sure how it would work because you've already got all 18 ship slots filled).
Gunman698

Postby Gunman698 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:58 am

I have an error to report,

I downloaded SC2Ships.ftl and UI, Installed them alongside 2 other mods (Diversity and Better Planets and Backgrounds), then launched FTL. It gets as far as completing the loading bar before it crashes and gives me a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error, which is completely blank, even the ok button is blank. When I click the error, it minimizes the game, and when I click back into the game, the error is there. Same thing when I tried without the 2 other mods and even SC2Ships on it's own. Is this a bug or would it be wise just to reinstall FTL?

I tried to show the error message with PrtSc but it then says the clipboard does not contain an image.