[SHIPS] The Flex Tape Kestrel (Flexstrel)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
porcu93

[SHIPS] The Flex Tape Kestrel (Flexstrel)

Postby porcu93 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:18 pm

Greetings everyone, and welcome to my very first (somewhat successful) attempt on making a mod for this game. This idea came out when a user posted this image on the FTL Discord server:
https://imgur.com/lA0Ye6w

so you know that the starting point is a meme, but the ship may be fun to play. Because I'm a noob at the game, I've only tested them on easy.

Now, on to the "lore" of this ship pack:
During the first days of the rebellion many refitted Kestrel Cruisers have been destroyed by the Rebels. One day an Engi with some crazy ideas decided to use the rest of these broken ships to rebuild them, refit them and experiment, using a lot of Flex Tape (not sponsored BTW) to keep the wreckeges from falling apart. And before you ask: the Tape is there, but I'm too lazy to add it on the whole ship, so it will be visible just on the border.

The Flexstrel:

Starting with 5 missiles, 5 drone parts, 2 drone slots available when Drone Control is installed and 7 reactor power, this is kind of the obvious "recolor" of the Kestrel A. The point of this version is low power consumption at the beginning of the game, so you get some decent 1-power weapons for damage dealing: the Adv. Flak Gun and a Heavy Pierce Laser Mark I that consumes one less power at the cost of 2 extra seconds of cooldown. The power for the Medbay needs to be juggled from other stations, like in the normal Kestrel A. The ship has the standard 30 HP. The Engi is there because he's technically the guy that made the ship.

The OP Flexstrel:

This version also has 5 missiles and 5 drone parts for starting resources, but it also comes with 2 max level artillery weapons. But those aren't the weapons from the Federation Cruisers A/B and C, otherwise that would have been excessive. I've opted for a modified Dual Shot Laser that pierces 1 shield for 12 seconds of cooldown and for a modified Pike Beam that also pierces 1 shield for 2 extra seconds of cooldown and 150 pixels long beam instead of the normal 170. Because you can't fully power up one of the two artillery systems, I gave you the Zoltan.
Because you would end up with only a pickable system if Drones, Cloacking, Mind Control and Hacking weren't installed, I gave you all of them so that you can decide how to redirect the 40 reactor power. But to make sure you work for the OPness all of those mentioned systems start at level 1 to kind of make it a bit fair.
All of this power comes at a cost though: the ship has 2/3 of your standard HP (20 HP) and you only have 2 weapon slots and 2 drone slots, so choose wisely on how to arm yourself and what you should upgrade. Both the Cloning Bay and the Backup Battery systems are installable. And yes, it's the same Engi from the previous ship.

The Auto Flexstrel

This version, this time with 5 missiles and 15 drone parts for your initial resources, is your obvious auto-ship, with 3 weapon slots and 4 drone slots to balance the missing crew and the used drone slot for a System Repair Drone. As your starting weapons you a Mini Beam to use in conjunction with your Combat Drone Mk I. You still have your 30 HP, but with 9 reactor power and a level 3 Drone Control, you'll have to juggle between attacking with your Combat Drone Mk I or defending from missiles (and maybe asteroids too) with your Defence Drone Mk I. You also get an Anti-Personell Drone just in case some Lanius decides to board you. To compensate the necessity of drone use you get a Drone Recovery Arm and a Drone Reactor Booster, and those 15 drones are there just in case they get blown up. In this ship you won't be able to install any Oxygen or Medbay/Clone Bay, as you can't buy any cremember even after having gained one through events. The Engi here has been replaced by the System Repair Drone for obvious reasons.

For any constructive feedback feel free to write here in this post, GL HF.

Code: Select all

Changelog:
v 2.0: Major changes:
- made the ship border totally black;
- added 3 custom (edited) made weapons, you can't find them on shops;
- rearranged and changed the layout of all 3 ships.
v 1.2: Because I didn't do basic math when adding the power, The OP Flexstrel ship now has 15 extra reactor power, for a total of 45.
EDIT: also fixed a mount to be attached to the correct gib, still in the same ship mentioned.
v 1.1: Finally added a proper cloaking image for each ship, also added the icon for each ship
v 1.0.1: Minor naming changes for consistency (my bad), now the name is "Flexstrel" instead of "Flextrel"
v 1.0: Initial release

And here's the download link, using google drive because I don't have to worry about the link going down, enjoy ^_^
v 2.0: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LW18zuLg_QzUdgHcAN8rhDMbquJLTh6i/view?usp=sharing
v 1.2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14u3vQl7Hbnk5eOyQwMNssjpIQ2qEAg6T/view?usp=sharing
v 1.1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uRnJkVDCxfpV-30VtU3IbVRTyHElDJb4/view?usp=sharing
Last edited by porcu93 on Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
porcu93

Re: [SHIPS] The Flex Tape Kestrel (Flexstrel)

Postby porcu93 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:31 am

v 2.0: Major changes:
- made the ship border totally black;
- added 3 custom (edited) made weapons, you can't find them on shops;
- rearranged and changed the layout of all 3 ships.