Add custom music to FTL? (don't care about moods)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
innerdrum

Add custom music to FTL? (don't care about moods)

Postby innerdrum » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:47 am

I bought some music on Bandcamp which will perfectly fit this game. I want to add this music to the original game music. Is this possible?

I don't care if it's not "mood" played meaning it can play anytime and not just some music for exploration and other for combat.

This is what i got if you're curious https://sanmateo.bandcamp.com/album/deepstaria

Thanks!
KingdomKrafters

Re: Add custom music to FTL? (don't care about moods)

Postby KingdomKrafters » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:26 am

This question is probably better suited for the Mod Development section.

But yes, it is possible. You will have to convert the tracks to .ogg files as FTL does not support any other file type for music. To explain everything you would have to do from step 0 is too difficult to give in a single forum post, so I'm just going to give the very basics. Make a mod, create an audio folder, in the music folder add your track in ogg format. Go into sounds.xml.append, create a new section for your track. If using explore/battle variants, make sure they are the same length, or close to it. Go into sector_data.xml.append, find the sector you want the music to play in, and add a line for it.

If you have no idea how to do that, I don't blame you. But to explain it all in detail would take too much time. If you want a better rundown, you can always join the FTL discord and someone (including me) can help you. You could also download a mod like Arsenal+ or one of the many music addon mods that add new tracks and look at them for examples.

(FTL Discord: https://discord.gg/btqm3cY)
innerdrum

Re: Add custom music to FTL? (don't care about moods)

Postby innerdrum » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:44 pm

Thanks for your input. I will go to discord for help-
Thanks again :)