[HARD-CODED] FTL: Hyperspace

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
User avatar
Engi-nious
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:34 am
Location: Sector 8

Re: [HARD-CODED] FTL: Hyperspace

Postby Engi-nious » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:32 am

(I don't know if double-posting is frowned upon here, if so, please let me know and I will avoid doing it in future)

So after toying around for a (short) while, I can safely say that this is awesome and should revolutionize FTL modding (if anyone is still actively playing mods, that is). You guys have done an awesome job with this!
However I did have a few questions, in no particular order:

    - I don't understand what "Hacking Drone Fix" does. Does it just destroy the drone when the system has no power? I thought that if the drone had landed it was meant to be able to be turned off/on, so not sure how it's a fix so much as a balance change.
    - I am aware that "new" ships (in the infinite ships menus, which are epic btw) cannot have highscores or achievements, however, can they be given unlock requirements? Or will they always be available by default?
    - Lots of questions about custom races - most notably, there seem to be many functions of vanilla races that are not adjustable. I cannot find any variable to adjust the speed that skills are learnt (which humans reportedly do faster) the ability to do damage upon death (like zoltans) or to apply a crystal lockdown ability to crew (or maybe even other abilities, if possible...?). Are these all coded differently to the rest of the crew variables, or is there a simple syntax to adjust them?
    - I am also going to assume that things like races having different genders is not within the scope of this version of hyperspace. It seems like ghost have genders, even though the default mod seems to show no support for this? I am a bit confused honestly - even as to how the game "detects" which sprite sheet corresponds to which race.
    - In any case, it would be really handy to have the "default" values for the rest of the vanilla races, even if only for reference sake.
    - And finally... any chance we could get support for custom environmental effects in the future? I imagine that's a tough ask, though...

(Sorry for the text wall! I tend to do that a bit.)

Again, this mod is totally awesome and I am eager to see what people do with it (Woona already made a whole race in Mod Development, complete with lore, 3 player ships and enemies, and a sector - completely impossible until a few months ago)

Thanks for the help!
This (hyper)space intentionally left blank.
maymoToTheBone
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:33 am

Re: [HARD-CODED] FTL: Hyperspace

Postby maymoToTheBone » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:13 am

I've done some messing around with crew races(but I haven't finished one yet), so hopefully I can help a little. There are 3 xml files a race needs in order to show up and have unique stats: hyperspace.xml.append, blueprints.xml.append, and animations.xml.append. It seems to me that the only way the game "knows" how to link the crew definition with the crew blueprint and animation is that the names are the same.

To answer your question about the sprite sheet, in the animation file, the top line of the animSheet has a place where it should say "people/[name of race]_base.png"

It's pretty late where I am and I'm stating to lose my grip, so let me know if that didn't make sense or answer your question.
User avatar
Engi-nious
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:34 am
Location: Sector 8

Re: [HARD-CODED] FTL: Hyperspace

Postby Engi-nious » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:43 am

maymoToTheBone wrote:I've done some messing around with crew races(but I haven't finished one yet), so hopefully I can help a little. There are 3 xml files a race needs in order to show up and have unique stats: hyperspace.xml.append, blueprints.xml.append, and animations.xml.append. It seems to me that the only way the game "knows" how to link the crew definition with the crew blueprint and animation is that the names are the same.

To answer your question about the sprite sheet, in the animation file, the top line of the animSheet has a place where it should say "people/[name of race]_base.png"

It's pretty late where I am and I'm stating to lose my grip, so let me know if that didn't make sense or answer your question.

I figured that may of been the case... just found it particularly confusing when accounting for races such as humans and ghosts that have genders - perhaps they have some sort of hidden override variable.

At least that will help in the creation of all-new races. Thanks!
This (hyper)space intentionally left blank.
User avatar
mr_easy_money
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 9:05 pm
Location: A galaxy far, far away

Re: [HARD-CODED] FTL: Hyperspace

Postby mr_easy_money » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:25 pm

Engi-nious wrote:I don't understand what "Hacking Drone Fix" does. Does it just destroy the drone when the system has no power? I thought that if the drone had landed it was meant to be able to be turned off/on, so not sure how it's a fix so much as a balance change.

ah, it only destroys the drone if it's depowered mid-flight. yeah, it's a bit poor wording, but the essence of the fix is that it prevents the hacking drone trick. if you're unaware of the 'trick', by turning off hacking right after a defense drone fires, and waiting until the shot has passed before repowering hacking, the hack effectively 'dodges' the shot and bypasses the defense drone. there are mixed reactions to this, with the devs calling it an interesting use of game mechanics, others believing it an outright exploit. whatever the case, this option in hyperspace lets you disable the trick.
Engi-nious wrote:I am aware that "new" ships ... cannot have highscores or achievements, however, can they be given unlock requirements? Or will they always be available by default?

not at the current moment. but yeah custom unlock reqs would be cool.
Engi-nious wrote:Lots of questions about custom races - most notably, there seem to be many functions of vanilla races that are not adjustable. I cannot find any variable to adjust the speed that skills are learnt (which humans reportedly do faster) the ability to do damage upon death (like zoltans) or to apply a crystal lockdown ability to crew (or maybe even other abilities, if possible...?). Are these all coded differently to the rest of the crew variables, or is there a simple syntax to adjust them?

yeah again not at the current moment. to my understanding, attaching these abilities to the custom crew is a bit harder than the regular stats. hyperspace would really eventually like to make some kind of modding API that gives us more freedom in unlocking previously immovable parts of the game, rather than waiting on the hyperspace team to implement them. but I think the whole reverse engineering process is very tiring, and burnout happened. we can hope it will happen at some point? we waited years for hyperspace and they did eventually deliver ;)
Engi-nious wrote:It seems like ghost have genders, even though the default mod seems to show no support for this?

uhm, I think the ghost race was originally planned for the game and got scrapped, but was still coded as a race, which is why regular mods could re-enable it. in those mods, the sprite sheet for the ghosts was derived from the human layers 5+. the link between the humans and ghosts may explain why they have genders.
Engi-nious wrote:it would be really handy to have the "default" values for the rest of the vanilla races, even if only for reference sake.

well you can just look at their abilities and make changes accordingly, right? I seem to remember something about how fireRepairMultiplier doesn't do anything, which also could mean that when it was found that crystal crew have a hidden 0.85x multiplier for this stat that may amount to absolutely nothing. I'd be more concrete than wishy-washy if only the discord search function wasn't currently broken.
User avatar
Engi-nious
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:34 am
Location: Sector 8

Re: [HARD-CODED] FTL: Hyperspace

Postby Engi-nious » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:06 am

mr_easy_money wrote:
Engi-nious wrote:I don't understand what "Hacking Drone Fix" does. Does it just destroy the drone when the system has no power? I thought that if the drone had landed it was meant to be able to be turned off/on, so not sure how it's a fix so much as a balance change.

ah, it only destroys the drone if it's depowered mid-flight. yeah, it's a bit poor wording, but the essence of the fix is that it prevents the hacking drone trick. if you're unaware of the 'trick', by turning off hacking right after a defense drone fires, and waiting until the shot has passed before repowering hacking, the hack effectively 'dodges' the shot and bypasses the defense drone. there are mixed reactions to this, with the devs calling it an interesting use of game mechanics, others believing it an outright exploit. whatever the case, this option in hyperspace lets you disable the trick.
Oh. I know the trick, just wasn't sure if the fix was also referring to the drone after it had landed on the ship (which would be kind of silly)
mr_easy_money wrote:
Engi-nious wrote:I am aware that "new" ships ... cannot have highscores or achievements, however, can they be given unlock requirements? Or will they always be available by default?

not at the current moment. but yeah custom unlock reqs would be cool.
Fair enough.
mr_easy_money wrote:
Engi-nious wrote:Lots of questions about custom races - most notably, there seem to be many functions of vanilla races that are not adjustable. I cannot find any variable to adjust the speed that skills are learnt (which humans reportedly do faster) the ability to do damage upon death (like zoltans) or to apply a crystal lockdown ability to crew (or maybe even other abilities, if possible...?). Are these all coded differently to the rest of the crew variables, or is there a simple syntax to adjust them?

yeah again not at the current moment. to my understanding, attaching these abilities to the custom crew is a bit harder than the regular stats. hyperspace would really eventually like to make some kind of modding API that gives us more freedom in unlocking previously immovable parts of the game, rather than waiting on the hyperspace team to implement them. but I think the whole reverse engineering process is very tiring, and burnout happened. we can hope it will happen at some point? we waited years for hyperspace and they did eventually deliver ;)
Yeah, that's probably more what I was expecting from the mod going in. Still, the team has done an epic job so far, and I am super excited to see what the future holds. My biggest concern with these is that I was hoping to make identical duplicates of the races (for... important hacky reasons)
mr_easy_money wrote:
Engi-nious wrote:It seems like ghost have genders, even though the default mod seems to show no support for this?

uhm, I think the ghost race was originally planned for the game and got scrapped, but was still coded as a race, which is why regular mods could re-enable it. in those mods, the sprite sheet for the ghosts was derived from the human layers 5+. the link between the humans and ghosts may explain why they have genders.
I was messing around with these sheets and really struggled to figure out what was going on. Hyperspace, by default, appears to add a "new" set of sheets for the ghosts, but it doesn't seem to be used in the actual game. To add to the confusion, there's definitely a script in vanilla that claims to give ghosts the "teleport" animation for death, but in my testing they didn't even play the normal death anim - they just made a dying sound and disappeared. Really I was hoping there was some way to make a custom crew with a gender distinction, but atm I think that's not possible. (Tangently related - where did the "phase" sound file come from? I don't believe it was in vanila anywhere)
mr_easy_money wrote:
Engi-nious wrote:it would be really handy to have the "default" values for the rest of the vanilla races, even if only for reference sake.

well you can just look at their abilities and make changes accordingly, right? I seem to remember something about how fireRepairMultiplier doesn't do anything, which also could mean that when it was found that crystal crew have a hidden 0.85x multiplier for this stat that may amount to absolutely nothing. I'd be more concrete than wishy-washy if only the discord search function wasn't currently broken.
Really? In my testing I managed to get it doing something (unless I tweaked repair multiplier or something by accident as well). I think that it's definitely inconsistent - it may actually take the normal repair modifier (whatever that is) and then multiply by that - but I haven't looked into it enough. I am pretty sure I had a race extinguishing fires pretty fast yesterday though. Other than that (I don't think there are any other "hidden" variables?) I probably could just use their in-game ability charts.

(Also, not related to anything else, I think I found a "bug" of sorts yesterday - custom augments only seem to work with functions that have working values. I could fuse rock armor with crew stims just fine, but couldn't get a zoltan shield to work with it. It is also entirely possible I am just doing it wrong. XD)

In any case, thanks for the help! I hope none of this comes across as complaining - I think what the team has accomplished is absolutely astounding. I'm just curious as to what it's current limitations are so I know what I'm working with (and what to tentatively hope for in future). :)
This (hyper)space intentionally left blank.
TheSwiftTiger
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 9:21 am

Re: [HARD-CODED] FTL: Hyperspace

Postby TheSwiftTiger » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:15 am

Update 0.2

This update DOES NOT make the mod work on the latest version of FTL. You will have to downgrade to version 1.6.9 - the instructions for that are in the main post.

Changelog

Code: Select all

- Added custom crew features:
  > Custom death sounds
  > Custom shooting sounds
  > Oxygen change effect
  > Damage taken multiplier
- Fixed NANOBOT_DEFENSE_SYSTEM attacking mind controlled crew
- Added a text tag for a custom augment having no effect
- Custom ships page now populates as intended


Known Issues

Code: Select all

- Oxygen change effect for crew does not work without an oxygen system
- Hovering over a custom augment can cause the game to crash


Download link is on the main post
Loving_Metropolice
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:08 pm

Re: [HARD-CODED] FTL: Hyperspace

Postby Loving_Metropolice » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:06 pm

I have a very similar issue to engi.
I've tried a multitude of things such as : Changing the download location, down-grading to the required version, disabling all mods, enabling certain mods, exiting all over applications, going fullscreen and of course the thing that fixed it removing either one of the mods DLLs.

Unlike the error being related to achievements my error is as follows: "Failed to find address for function CApp::OnInputFocus"

I bet it's something obvious that's the problem, but I can't fix it.
User avatar
bamalf
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:57 pm
Location: Russian

Re: [HARD-CODED] FTL: Hyperspace

Postby bamalf » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:17 pm

because
This update DOES NOT make the mod work on the latest version of FTL. You will have to downgrade to version 1.6.9 - the instructions for that are in the main post.
Image Image Image
Loving_Metropolice
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:08 pm

Re: [HARD-CODED] FTL: Hyperspace

Postby Loving_Metropolice » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:03 pm

Well, I did that, but alright.
User avatar
bamalf
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:57 pm
Location: Russian

Re: [HARD-CODED] FTL: Hyperspace

Postby bamalf » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:09 pm

I just checked it out. This error appears in 1.6.12, but does not appear in 1.6.9.
Image Image Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 45 guests