Help?

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Varis

Re: Help?

Postby Varis » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:37 am

Dire_Venom wrote:That narrows it down, have you tried re-installing Slipstream? The problem will be that it isnt linked to ftl or one of the two is corrupted.
Re-installing mine, I donwloaded from here (http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17102) presumbably the same place as you.
I then moved the downloaded zip folder and extracted it under mydocuments/mygames (where the ftl folder is).?

Yup. I've deleted and reinstalled it three times so far, still to no avail. My FTL seems to be working normally, but, given my relative newness to the party, I could be playing a majorly messed up game and not even know it. xD But, jokes aside, if you downloaded the 1.6 Windows version, then yes. Same source, same file. I also got that window when first running SMM after opening it for the first time (and after reinstalling it) and I double checked to make sure it /was/ the correct route each time. About the only difference is that I extracted SMM to desktop instead of "My Games" simply for convenience sake, and because I strongly dislike shortcuts. Can't explain why, but I never really have liked them. Something about that little curvy arrow just irritates me. xD
Varis

Postby Varis » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:44 am

Actually, there may be one more difference.

I doubt it's the problem, but I'm no expert, so I could be wrong. Do you HAVE to download and play FTL through Steam? Because if so, that may be the error. I downloaded it from OceanOfGames while looking for Civ IV (funny, that. I'm looking for one childhood favorite, and I find an adulthood favorite!) and have had no problems with it (aside from it's occasional annoying stuttering and freezing, but that's just par for the course with my laptop.)

If this is the problem, I don't suppose you know any other way to use mods? Because my laptop /really/ does not like Steam.
Dire_Venom

Postby Dire_Venom » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:15 am

You can play the game without it showing you playing it in steam, so no, steam is not required (you could download it via steam and then never open steam again XD). Steam can cause some issues for games in general, but I doubt thats it.
Is your Java up to date:? Worth trying I guess. I run FTL on 2 different laptops (one beyond potato and no issues).

Ah just re-read what you posted, if you installed the game from a different source, then yes it could potentially be causing issues. The version you download might be in-compatible with slipstream. The Ocean version may not be up to date, does it come with the AE (advanced edition) content:?
Looking it up I also came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XOPSEWRLSo but I doubt thats any help.

I think the problem here is likely arising from there.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:39 pm

From those errors it looks like it's having some sort of trouble accessing the resource files from the FTL location. Some some of permission issue, maybe? Do you run smm as admin? I'd also move everything to a secondary partition you use for games or at least just a normal games folder, not use desktop. Windows is particular about its documents folders sometimes. I have FTL on D:/, SMM inside the FTL folder. Use fresh install.
Varis

Postby Varis » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:50 am

Dire_Venom wrote: The Ocean version may not be up to date, does it come with the AE (advanced edition) content:?
Looking it up I also came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XOPSEWRLSo but I doubt thats any help.

Yup. It comes with AE, and games from there are generally always up to date. As per the video, that's the basic tutorial on how to install for dummies. It's a good idea. Stop them from getting endless "Herr derr i cnt play it u suck" messages from people who don't know how to extract files.

So, if I need the Steam version, for SMM, I don't suppose you know of any other ways I can play CE on FTL?

meklozz wrote: From those errors it looks like it's having some sort of trouble accessing the resource files from the FTL location. Some some of permission issue, maybe? Do you run smm as admin? I'd also move everything to a secondary partition you use for games or at least just a normal games folder, not use desktop. Windows is particular about its documents folders sometimes. I have FTL on D:/, SMM inside the FTL folder. Use fresh install.

Yup. I always run everything as Admin. Even League which /really/ does not need admin privs, but hey. I find it's better safe than sorry. xD If I don't run it as admin, it gives me a different error, telling me that it can't find the files, or that the route given is incorrect. Something along those lines, despite it being exactly where it says it is.

So, you're suggesting dropping SMM AND FTL in "My games"? I suppose I can give that a shot, see if it works.
Dire_Venom

Postby Dire_Venom » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:38 am

Varis wrote:
So, you're suggesting dropping SMM AND FTL in "My games"? I suppose I can give that a shot, see if it works.

Please do try it : ) I think it might solve the issue.
If not, at least we've eliminated one potential cause.
Varis

Postby Varis » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:41 am

Dire_Venom wrote:Please do try it : ) I think it might solve the issue.
If not, at least we've eliminated one potential cause.

Well, it works now! Apologies for vanishing. Personal shit kicked off, so I wasn't on my laptop.

I uninstalled and fully deleted both SMM and FTL, then redownloaded them (1.6 SMM) and then dropped both folders into "Program Files (X86)". After redownloading all the CE mods, organising them and patching, it's running perfectly!

Thanks for the help, Dire!
Varis

Postby Varis » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Okay, I spoke too soon.

When I made that reply, I had just told it to open and it was loading.

After 30+ minutes of loading, it finally opened, but the boxes on the right hand side of the screen, where there should have been the options to start a game, options, settings, etc etc, there were only black rectangles. After a few minutes of "not responding" and my mouse being invisible over the FTL window, it closed automatically.

Could you tell me if any of these are in the wrong order, and if not, do you know any patches that could solve this?

Beginning Scrap Advantage 1.1.ftl
Engi Scrap Advantage 1.1.ftl
CE Resource Pack 1.301.ftl
FTL Captains Edition 1.301.ftl
CE Additional Music Addon 1.301.ftl
CE Infinite Addon 1.301b.ftl
CE Additional Music Infinite Compatibility Patch 1.0.ftl
EL Texture Pack 1.27.ftl
CE Endless Loot Addon for CE Infinite 1.301.ftl
CE Non-EL Enemy Loadouts Addon 1.26.ftl

I have them all enabled, aside from the Scrap Advantage mods.