[SHIPS/WEAPONS]F5 Mercury - The Starfighter UPDATED for FTL 1.6

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
WhiteWeasel

[SHIPS/WEAPONS]F5 Mercury - The Starfighter UPDATED for FTL 1.6

Postby WhiteWeasel » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:55 pm

Musteline Aerospace (MLAS) presents: The F5 Mercury from one of my favorite indie games Ring Runner. Credit to the developer for being cool with me making a mod of his ship! The Mercury was was the king of mobility, essentially the Z-fighter of star ships. It was a bit fragile, but can hit hard and fast, and retreat into distance in the blink of an eye. I've taken the time and effort to make them into FTL ships for you to play! What makes these ships different from most other (even modded) FTL ships is the use of the two weapons slots configuration. The weapons bays on the Mercury were small, but to make up for that it was equpped with a unique fixed weapon slot. In FTL this translates into the form of artillery.

To play up the fragile speedster role the F5 filled, I have changed the system blueprints of shields to max out at 6 instead of 8 and reduced the price of engines (380 scrap to fully upgrade, now only takes 255). The two weapons bays will provide a unique challenge as your conventional weapons don't really scale that much as you progress. So don't neglect your artillery since that's where a lot of your firepower comes from. The fact you can't just slap any piece of junk in your third weapons slot to be useful, and anything you do find has to compete for your current slots, your starting weapons will be a bit better than average to make up for the lack of scalability. And before someone says it, I know it looks a ton like the Swordfish II from Cowboy Bebop. Given the sheer amount of sci references and nods Ring Runner makes, I wouldn't be surprised if this was intentional.

Important Notes:
-The Mercury replaces the Kestrel Types A,B, and C
-The two weapon slots means there is no autofire button. This can be resolved by left ctrl+ targeting with a desired weapon.
-The layout A has a issue where the oxygen is de-powered when the zoltan is returning to his station from the medbay.
-The Layout B does not support mind control due to room constraints.
-The layout C has no shields at all, but you still get the prompt to but them at stores! Do not buy them, you'll just waste your scrap!

To do list:
N/A

This mod has been upgraded to be fully standalone and usable alongside with my weapons pack. Would you like to encounter your ship's unique starting weapons on your adventures? Check out it's sister mod here!

Code: Select all

F5 Mercury
Crew: Human, Engi, Zoltan.
Augments: Shield Charge Booster, FTL Recharge Booster.

Weapons: Repeating photocaster MK II - fires more shots than an equivalent power burst laser, but it's very inaccurate. And a longbow missile launcher. The missile itself is weak with only one damage, but has a decent chance of inflicting side effects with it's low chance of fire/breach/stun and sports a short cooldown and will pack a decent punch until you find an upgrade.

Artillery: The Titan beam is your bread and butter, the beam ignores shields like the fed cruiser, but it's beam twice as strong, in addition to having a decent breach chance. The beams downside is that it travels slower than the fed beam and is not even half as long (still longer than a pike beam though). This will more often than not be your killing blow when things get hairy.

F5RA Prototype
Crew: Slug, Engi, Zoltan.
Augments: Adv. Scanners, Drone Recovery Arm

Weapons: Gemini Seeker Missiles - Advanced missiles that bypass MK I defense drones and inflict 2 normal and 2 system damage, (4 damage total a hit system) and will stun any crew inside. Essential for picking off weapons when you are vulnerable and shields for when you go on the offensive. Stun Beam II - A shield bypassing beam that stuns enemy crew. No damage, but it's far from harmless and not to be underestimated. It's shorter cooldown than the regular (obtainable versions) make it really good at stunlocking crew in fires/vacuums, halting repairs from your system disablers, or keeping the enemy FTL from charging if you target the helm.

Drones: This ship has the unique 4 slot drone bay to make up for the lack of direct killing power of the Gemini Artillery beam. Shield Overcharger MK II - A one power variant because the three power version is useless. Combat Drone MK I - This is your main source of damage as your other weapons are primarily disablers. Thanks to your recovery arm, you can use drones liberally.

Artillery: Gemini Artillery Beam - REBALANCED: A short laser beam that does 2 system damage, pierces shields, and stuns enemy crew inside. This Artillery's cooldown is very short. So it's "weak" effect offset by it being a much more spammy artillery.

The Spray & Pray
Crew: Lanius, 2 Engi
Augments: Weapon Pre-Igniter, Adv. Scanners- This ship was sorta of a joke of mine. What if I made the Simo-H but with the weapon Pre-igniter instead of that stupid shield drone as it's gimmick? I think starting with the best augment in the game is a much more interesting trade off for the weaknesses it has.

Weapons: Longbow Salvo missiles - Fires four 1 damage missiles across an area, good since it is not stopped by shields. Repeating Photocaster MK I - Three projectiles in an area, but is hard to target specific rooms with.

Artillery: This ship really needs to hit hard and fast, so starts with a whopping level 3 Titan Beam!

-Authors note: This ship has no shields AT ALL. Have fun against the rebel flagship.

Get the mod here! Currently at version 1.6 for FTL 1.6.14

Changelog

-------------MAJOR OVERHAUL---------------
-Removed ALL _non-starting weapons_ in this mod. This is now a standalone ship mod.
-All ship starting weapons are player versions of themselves so they do not clobber with their normal counterparts
 if used in conjunction with my weapons pack mod.
-Fixed issue titan/gemini artillery sprite being missing ever since FTL updated to 1.6
-Rebalanced the Mercury B. It's gemini laser does 2 system damage (down from 3) per room, but pierces all shields, and has a slightly longer cooldown. Slightly less "powerful" but overall more consistent and reliable.

OLD CHANGELOG
-Release
-Added miniship sprites
-Made Bio Beam II obtainable
-Fixed minor spelling errors
-Made weapons available to enemy ships
-Minor Sprite Tweaks
-Removed shields entirely from the Layout C, Now supports mind control
-Added variance to the Titan Beam SFX
-Increased targeting area and cooldown of Photo Vulcan (final RoF is still the same)
-Rephrased Photocaster text to be more clear with how many (true) projectiles they fire
-Added Resonant Beam
-Changed Resonant beam to resonant beam II
-Made Resonant beam II more rare (was too common)
-Added Resonant beam I
-Made Scalpel Beam sprite more distinct
-Changed Bio Beam II Tooltip

Video Runs:
Biohazard063 (layout B): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp7Z4B_8BtI
Ben Tenkage (layout A): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCptdGzdqvg
Last edited by WhiteWeasel on Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:10 pm, edited 20 times in total.
WhiteWeasel

Re: [SHIPS/WEAPONS]F5 Mercury - The Starfighter

Postby WhiteWeasel » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Reserved in case I need the space.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:40 pm

Updated to 1.1! It finally has miniship icons and is now what I consider a complete mod.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:01 am

Major Update! The playing field is now a little more even since your enemies are packing the heat too!
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:35 pm

I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:47 am

Also, for the record. I haven't forgotten about the request for a showcase either.
Streamed the run a while back and first episode for YT will be going up next Tuesday.
Alternatively, I can provide a link to that particular stream.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:34 am

Biohazard063 wrote:Also, for the record. I haven't forgotten about the request for a showcase either.
Streamed the run a while back and first episode for YT will be going up next Tuesday.
Alternatively, I can provide a link to that particular stream.

Awesome, can you post that link for me?
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:44 pm

WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:04 am

mr_easy_money wrote:
WhiteWeasel wrote:Awesome, can you post that link for me?

part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp7Z4B_8BtI
part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gPPnKGtxa4
part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1BQc_m-_zg

I'm glad they did the coverage of my mod! I wish I was there to interact with the chat and see how they reacted to my ships and how they played. Though it's a shame the ship wasn't exactly played as intended due to the arsenal mod replacing the combat 1 and them getting shields and hacking, but it got to the flagship nonetheless. Also the weapons section of the mod didn't come into play very much as the other mods bloated the spawn list. Oh well. :?
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:26 am

WhiteWeasel wrote:
mr_easy_money wrote:
WhiteWeasel wrote:Awesome, can you post that link for me?

part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp7Z4B_8BtI
part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gPPnKGtxa4
part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1BQc_m-_zg

I'm glad they did the coverage of my mod! I wish I was there to interact with the chat and see how they reacted to my ships and how they played. Though it's a shame the ship wasn't exactly played as intended due to the arsenal mod replacing the combat 1 and them getting shields and hacking, but it got to the flagship nonetheless. Also the weapons section of the mod didn't come into play very much as the other mods bloated the spawn list. Oh well. :?

hey don't worry bout it, I'll play the ships again during one of my live streams
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269