[SHIP] The Oregon Trail

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
SentryJumper

Re: [SHIP] The Oregon Trail

Postby SentryJumper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:31 pm

I know nothing of Oregon Trail besides the results of a 5 minute Google, but I still had fun with this mod. :)

I have to ask - what are the two rooms by the reins for? They don't attach to anything and don't fit that well with the hull image. Speaking of, would you be open to using a cleaned up version I'm working on (better reins, etc.)? This ship is too good for black lines!
Image ImageImage
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:40 pm

SentryJumper wrote:I have to ask - what are the two rooms by the reins for?

the rooms at the front are the wagon's "horses" if you will. hence why:
stylesrj wrote:All navigational assets are in the front end of the ship

SentryJumper wrote:They don't attach to anything

the fact that they don't attach to anything is the whole gimmick of the ship:

stylesrj wrote:every time you get a new crew member, they'll be in the pilot's seat ... you have a Clone Bay at the start so if they die, they'll be in the proper section of the ship ...
The front section of the ship is highly vulnerable to attack. The pioneers couldn't extend the barrier around the AI ship. So don't expect to do things like grinding crew XP or laughing at the Beam Master because they can kill you if they attack the front.

SentryJumper wrote:[They] don't fit that well with the hull image.

the fact that they don't fit that well with the hull image is just something that you'll have to make do with as if the image was any bigger it would look larger than the main wagon. I suppose if the main wagon was larger then maybe? but then the whole thing might become too big

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thankfully weapons aren't in the front, otherwise you'd be screwed with regards to fixing up a breached piloting. that's why a good number of player ai ships come with slug repair gel to fix up breaches, but then by stylesrj's standards it would be a slug ship which then you could implement the thing in bio's ai cruisers that gets rid of that slug ship option in CE. you could just remember not to use it as it doesn't make any sense to do that... :roll:
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:45 am

SentryJumper wrote:I have to ask - what are the two rooms by the reins for? They don't attach to anything and don't fit that well with the hull image.

They prevent the game from crashing. Having too much space between unconnected rooms causes the game to crash. Only one of those rooms are required, but that would look worse than two.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
SentryJumper

Postby SentryJumper » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:45 am

mr_easy_money wrote:
SentryJumper wrote:I have to ask - what are the two rooms by the reins for?

the rooms at the front are the wagon's "horses" if you will. hence why:
stylesrj wrote:All navigational assets are in the front end of the ship

SentryJumper wrote:They don't attach to anything

the fact that they don't attach to anything is the whole gimmick of the ship:

I may have been somewhat vague - I meant the two empty 1X2 rooms each by themselves inside the shield.

RAD-82 wrote:They prevent the game from crashing. Having too much space between unconnected rooms causes the game to crash. Only one of those rooms are required, but that would look worse than two.

Huh. That explains an issue I've had with a ship mod a recently, so thanks.
Image ImageImage
SentryJumper

Postby SentryJumper » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:38 am

Image fixes
I mentioned these earlier and they're finished now, so here they are.

Hull Image

Hull Image (Alt)

With any luck, these should also now fit the two disconnected rooms.

Gibs
For those that have changed, anyway.

Gib 5

Gib 6 (& alt)
Image Image

Gib 7
Image ImageImage
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:02 am

Wow, those look nice. Especially the grappling hooks :)