The Rebels have always reigned supreme when it came down to AI ships even outshining the engi race. One problem though, the ships were never that big, therefore they could be used for defending planets, stations and jump-nodes but were never able to perform FTL jumps between sectors themselves. Meaning they couldn't truly be used as an army. The AI-C001 code name "The Anomaly" was the first in the line of AI-cruiser that could actively patrol an entire region rather than a single sector.
The problem however was that the current AI was perfectly suited for combat since it had orders to fire at anything not having a Rebel ID, this wouldn't do for a ship designed to cover an entire sector. Therefore, a better AI systems was required in order to be able to distinct right from wrong, good from evil. Seeing how the engi race already had such an AI, the Rebel scientists thought it would cut some corners and "borrow" said AI programming. The AI excelled in VR testing making all the choices it was expected to make and even in small scale testing in open space the Anomaly performed brilliantly. Furthermore, whilst the smaller AI ships could easily return to base for repairs, the Anomaly couldn't. So a solution had to be found for it's main weakness : breaches. Once again, the scientists saw it fit to 'borrow' a solution from their fellow friends. This time they had their eyes set on the slugs and their way of dealing with breaches.
So, before mass producing began, the rebels saw it fit to give it a proper test run. They dismantled and removed the O2 supply and mounted a burst laser and beam weapon on it. Finally sending it out on its path.
It turns out that the engi have a very different perception on good and evil then the Rebels do... It didn't take long before the Anomaly started attacking Rebel ships and helping refugees from the war. The Anomaly was recaptured and disabled with a strange device to be brought back to a science station. At the station, the Anomaly overheard the Rebels' plans to dismantle the ship and try again. This, combined with a glitch in the disabling device sparked the Anomaly to became fully self aware.
The first words it spoke against its Rebel captors were :
"This brief encounter with this station has taught me everything I need to know. You have to make your own meaning in life, choose to live a way that seems good to you, be good to others. I had the good fortune of meeting a lot of fine people who didn't judge me based on the fact that I'm a machine. I will always be grateful to those. Coming here made me realize how much of a scourge the rebels are to this universe. Even the pirates I encountered had some ethics. I will therefore take it upon myself to destroy every single rebel I come across, by myself or with the few friends I made if they are willing. This station, that is rotten to the core, will serve as an example to the rest of the rebel scum out there. You forced my hand, prepare to meet your maker."
The Anomaly broke free of the station and destroyed it, leaving no survivors. It didn't take long for the news to reach the Federation about an autonomous ship completely destroying a Rebel station and an unarmed ship was sent to make contact with the Anomaly. After awhile, the Anomaly accepted the mission that could end the war once and for all and set out towards the Federation base with some very important information on board.
A fully functional AI ship with all the benefits of it:
* Constantly manned stations
* Auto repair
* No starting crew, you can still get them through events
* Tiny beam ( Beam weapon even shorter than the mini beam)
* Burst Mk I
Starting Drones :
* Repair Drone
* Anti-Personnel Drone
Starting Augments :
* Slug repair gel
Starting Crew :
This ship has an artillery system that can be bought in a store (without needing another mod !). Price is 150 and the weapon deals 3 ion damage and 1 system damage. Base cool down of 30 seconds (at lvl 1) and -6 seconds with every extra power bar going into it. With only 3 weapons slots and the bigger part of your drone system reserved, it might not be a bad idea to get it.
*WARNING !* If you buy the artillery system you have to finish the run. Save + quitting (or returning to main menu) and continuing the run crashes the game ! Even the Artillery Crash fix won't be able to help you !
Having no crew has its downsides and upsides, just like enemy AI ships, your ship will auto repair at a slow rate any system damage it takes.
And just like enemy AI ships, it can't fix rooms with a breach. That's why you start of with Slug repair gel and a system repair drone.
No air will make sure that most boarders are dealt with quickly, but just in case it doesn't, the ship comes with a trusty AP drone.
You'd be wise to keep the AP drone in case of a Lanius attack.
Another downside of having no crew is that you can't level them up, so say goodbye to a lvl2 engine person and all that other good stuff.
On the other side, you'll get to laugh at ships coming with a mindcontroll system.
Getting crew is a possibility, but are they worth the investment to keep them alive? Most races need O2 and you might want a medbay or clonebay to keep them alive.
There are tons more of upsides and downsides but I'll leave those up to you to discover.
Captains Edition Compatibility
Since this ship starts with slug gel, the necessary adjustments have been made to said augment to no longer allow scott free piracy and attacking after accepting a surrender offer. Thanks to the hard work of RannL.
Download this ship :
Watch the maiden voyage of this ship on my channel :
Part 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wyus_ihtKQ
Part 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydn24FVKYrs
Watch The Anomaly's V2.1 showcase :
Part 1 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0BU6Y_-ZYE
Part 2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGGokElCkW0
* The game will crash if you're supposed to loose a crew member in an event. You're fine if you win the "roll" though. Fix
* The game continues like you still have oxygen (in that one encounter) and you can still talk to crew members in flavor text. Nothing game breaking but pretty lame.
* The game can be lost if your Drone control gets breached and destroyed (and you sold the slug gel...), it's an AI ship after all.
* Sensors will not be fully disabled in nebula's as the AI will still be able to man them keeping them at lvl 1.
* Buying artillery makes it so you have to finish the run. You won't be able to click continue on the main menu as it will crash the game.
This ship was made with the Superluminal program :
The art for the hull, gibs, cloak etc. isn't mine.
But a work of KartoFlame in his mod :
And Sleeper service, creator of the CE mod :
For pretty much the entire artillery weapon...
RannL, creater of the Rand-trell mod and co-creator of the Flagship randomizer for the continuous support and hard work in getting the SlugAugRemover created and combined with the original ship.
Code: Select all
* Allocated a room for an Oxygen system and set the price to 50 scrap
* Made artillery available in AE as well (thanks RAD-82 and Sleeper Service !)
* Removed the door system
* Exchanged mini beam for the custom tiny beam. (Beam length from 45 to 25)
* Removed advanced FTL Navigation augment (to niche and sold for to much)
* Created a fancy story for the ship
* Ship starts with 2 bars in shields, no longer 3
* Consolidated Medbay and Clonebay
* Added interior image for Medbay
* Consolidated AE and CE version into 1 version
* Downgraded the artillery a bit going from 4 ion and 2 system damage every 16 sec to 3 ion and 1 system damage every 20 seconds
*Finally came around to creating and adding a thumbnail.
* Fixed the offset of the ship
* Fixed pilot glow
* Added location for teleporter, clone bay and medbay system
* Moved a few rooms around to make it look better
* Fixed artillery mount (2x now...)
* Engines should be able to be manned now
* Added RannL's SlugAugRemover to give the CE version Slug repair gel without the benefits