[SHIP][MOD] Space Invader /w custom art (AE)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
MaeniAck

[SHIP][MOD] Space Invader /w custom art (AE)

Postby MaeniAck » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:00 pm

This has probably been made before, but I haven't stumbled on one myself. This is the Medium Space Invader (also known as the Crab), and probably the most iconic of the enemies from the 1978 arcade game Space Invaders, with artwork to fit the FTL artwork.

Space Invader:
A blast from the past.
Replaces Zoltan Cruiser Type A

This ship can be both challenging in sectors 1 through 7, or become rather easy dependent on your luck, what the real task becomes is to make it harder for yourself in those sectors to get the tools for the final battle as I've yet to beat that or see it beaten by people who tested it for me.
This ship should only be played with Advanced Edition content on. It relies on cloaking instead of shields entirely, as shields are not supported. Though this modifies the cloaking system to be at a maximum of 6 power rather than 3. which I thought would make the ship easier to play.
It's not completely balanced, but this seems to be the closest I can get. It resembles the Stealth Cruiser Type C a bit, but it hopefully it differs enough.

Code: Select all

SYSTEMS AND SUPPORT:
Starting:
-Piloting (2)
-Door control (1)
-Sensors (2)
-Clonebay (1)
-Engines (4)
-Weapons (2)
-Cloaking (1)
Supported:
-Teleporter
-Hacking
-Drones
-Battery
-Oxygen
Weapons:
-Burst Laser Mark II
Augments:
-Stealth Weapons
-Adv. FTL Navigation

DOWNLOAD:
The Crab Space Invader
http://www.mediafire.com/download/td6m0y7ffe2dl59/medium_space_invader_ship.ftl

Note:
To change what ship these mod replace, change the file extension of the .ftl files to .zip and go to /data/blueprints.xml.append and open that with a text editor. Then change "PLAYER_SHIP_ENERGY" in the line:
<shipBlueprint name="PLAYER_SHIP_ENERGY" ... to one of the following:

Kestrel Cruiser: A: PLAYER_SHIP_HARD, B: PLAYER_SHIP_HARD_2
Mantis Cruiser: A: PLAYER_SHIP_MANTIS, B: PLAYER_SHIP_MANTIS_2
Stealth Cruiser: A: PLAYER_SHIP_STEALTH, B: PLAYER_SHIP_STEALTH_2
Engi Cruiser: A: PLAYER_SHIP_CIRCLE, B: PLAYER_SHIP_CIRCLE_2
Federation Cruiser: A: PLAYER_SHIP_FED, B: PLAYER_SHIP_FED_2
Slug Cruiser: A: PLAYER_SHIP_JELLY, B: PLAYER_SHIP_JELLY_2
Rock Cruiser: A: PLAYER_SHIP_ROCK, B: PLAYER_SHIP_ROCK_2
Zoltan Cruiser: A: PLAYER_SHIP_ENERGY, B: PLAYER_SHIP_ENERGY_2
Crystal Cruiser: A: PLAYER_SHIP_CRYSTAL, B: PLAYER_SHIP_CRYSTAL_2

and then close the .zip archive and change the file extension to .ftl again
NarnKar

Re: [SHIP][MOD] Space Invader /w custom art (AE)

Postby NarnKar » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:17 pm

Dang, it actually really does fit the FTL style! Nice!

I have to ask, though--have you tested level 6 cloaking? Does it work? Or does it kinda just crap out at 3 bars of cloaking, and all bars afterwards don't do anything?
MaeniAck

Postby MaeniAck » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:37 pm

NarnKar wrote:Dang, it actually really does fit the FTL style! Nice!

I have to ask, though--have you tested level 6 cloaking? Does it work? Or does it kinda just crap out at 3 bars of cloaking, and all bars afterwards don't do anything?

Thanks man. Yeah I got that tested, for each level you get 5 more seconds cloaked, which means for 6 bars, that is 30 seconds cloaking, which would be overpowered for nearly anything else, but at 14 hull and no shields it helps with those harder scenarios where you need to disable their offensive line before you die.
MaeniAck

Postby MaeniAck » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:25 pm

It's come to my attention that this ship didn't work for one of my friends, and thus I would like to know if anybody else experiences this scenario.

I can run it fine myself and fail to see where I should have made a typo in my scripts.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:38 am

MaeniAck wrote:this ship didn't work for one of my friends...I can run it fine myself

Sounds like user error to me, but then again, some people just have cranky computers. :|

I did take a look and noticed custom engines and weapons that don't have functioning glows. You need a file called rooms.xml.append to make them work. I'll even give you the code (that I believe should work based on the images in the mod file) to put in the file.

Code: Select all

<roomLayout name="engines_space_invader"> <computerGlow name="room_engines_space_invader_glow" x="0" y="0" dir="UP"/> </roomLayout>
<roomLayout name="weapons_space_invader"> <computerGlow name="room_weapons_space_invader_glow" x="0" y="0" dir="UP"/> </roomLayout>
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
MaeniAck

Postby MaeniAck » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:17 pm

RAD-82 wrote:I did take a look and noticed custom engines and weapons that don't have functioning glows. You need a file called rooms.xml.append to make them work.

Whoops, thanks man, and now when I think of it, I think I'm missing room.xml.append from the Firefly mods as well, I just never noticed when running them.
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:47 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cSEQaZgasg not a bad ship, and I had fun ^_^
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269