(Ship) The Mosquito

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
sandiestcomet

(Ship) The Mosquito

Postby sandiestcomet » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:26 pm

Hello! God.....I'm Farting out mods like a..........um....a......Uhhhhhhh.....Mod making.....Apple....

http://www.mediafire.com/download/kf4c5 ... squito.ftl

Download

Thanks To Google Images For The Picture

Bye! :D
NarnKar

Re: (Ship) The Mosquito

Postby NarnKar » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:59 pm

I recognize this ship hull too! This one's from here.

First of all, Google Images isn't a valid source for images. It's just a service, and doesn't produce the content you see. You really should be citing Skorpio, of the opengameart forums. It's even in his licensing:

Skorpio wrote:Attribution Instructions:
Just add my nickname to your credits list.

Second, I really don't think such a small initial ship sprite should be scaled up so big, as it's going to be really blurry...after all, making FTL mods is just as much about the visuals than the actual ship's mechanics. I mean, it's not bad, considering the tools you have, but compared to the people doing custom pixel art for their ships (here, for example), it's not the best around, either.

So what I'd recommend to you is: get better tools, really. Online photo-editing services just aren't as good as actual programs. (Unless you have some sort of parental restriction against downloading stuff, in which case it can’t be helped.)
Personally, I recommend GIMP. It’s free and relatively easy to use, and though it doesn’t have all the capabilities of Photoshop, it has enough to do good spritework.
I also heard FireAlpaca’s free, and maybe Paint Tool SAI was free too? I can’t remember, and I don’t know too much about those.

If you have any of those, they preserve the transparency of images—which, on your online service, shows up as black pixels. This gets rid of that weird fuzzy border that’s been around your last two ship hulls.

Other than that, I’d recommend picking bigger images to use in your ship editing. Skorpio--same guy as above--has a whole bunch of spaceship sprites, and you can assemble those into bigger spacecraft.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:29 am

While the technical issues have been covered, I'm going to state one that isn't usually considered:
Some people don't like it when you use their images.
That's not really an issue with this particular mod, since that's what OGA is for and the licensing the artists provide generally spells out pretty clearly how their sprites and other files can be used. I'd strongly caution against relying on Google Image though, since you can very easily get yourself in trouble by "borrowing" random images without permission.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:39 am

Building off of what Kieve said...

I'm not strictly against Google Images, but I am against using it haphazardly. It's always good to click on an image and hit "visit page" instead of just "view image"...look at who's hosting the content, and see whether they specify it's free usage or not. If they say "free for all use" then go ahead...if they say "don't distribute", don't use it obviously...if they don't specify usage agreements, it's always ALWAYS good to ask before using the image.

In any case, straight-up ripping images from Google isn't really my thing...I like to take Google Images as my starting point, rather than my ending point. I like splicing other things onto the Google Images base, and make something that's really my own.