[SHIP][WIP] The Chaser

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Mista_Slaya

[SHIP][WIP] The Chaser

Postby Mista_Slaya » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:59 pm

Backstory

Before the Rebellion, the Federation was working on a prototype fighter designed to chase down and cripple their targets. With the outbreak of the war, this ship was released with a final mission to deliver vital data to the Federation base...

The Chaser
Prototype Interceptor

Layout

Equipment:
Long-Range Scanners
Automated Re-Loader
FTL Recharge Booster
Burst Laser Mk II (x2)
Artemis Missile Launcher (x1)

Systems:
Weapons: 5
Engines: 3
Shields: 2
Hacking: 2
Med Bay: 1
Oxygen: 1
Doors: 1
Sensors: 1
Piloting: 1

Starting Crew:
Human
Engi (x2)
Rockman

I know the weapons seem OP, but if you do not upgrade them at some point, things may prove difficult..
This is my first finished(somewhat, anyway) ship. I am still currently working on this ship; a few of the room images are not showing up and there are no gibs when you die as of yet. However, this ship does work ingame via Slipstream Mod Manager. Please leave feedback on what you think I should fix. Thanks!

Download Link: Prototype Federation Interceptor
Russian Rockman

Re: [SHIP][WIP] The Chaser

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:02 pm

Wow, good job on the hull. It's really unique! :) Mirror the right half and that would actually make a good space station.

I don't have a problem with the weapons being OP, but with the 4 thrusters and a name called "the chaser" I would expect this ship to have some crazy engine power at the start. Maybe you should consider a different weapon loadout and something like 5-6 engines to start! As far as I know that never been done before.
Mista_Slaya

Postby Mista_Slaya » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback! And I understand what you mean about the engines, I just wasn't sure if having that much would be doing too much, and with my first ship I wasn't entirely sure what to do. And I've already got a new ship design finished, I might post it as well pretty soon. I just have to work a few things out. I'll work on upgrading the engine power. And did you have any ideas for a new weapon loadout?
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:15 pm

Dude, tone the signature down a bit please? 150px total is about the tallest you ever need to go.

As for the ship, nice splicing job. The shading is a bit inconsistent but the parts all work together pretty well. Looks good!
Xeneonic

Postby Xeneonic » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:39 pm

I like your hull design, below I have some pointers as to some practicality issues that may or may not be intended by you;

Yellow/black checkered = the game did this itself, I run CE mod, not sure if that's what causing it or because it's a WIP from you :)
Red = Clipping error (Room goes through the hull. This is only a visual problem.
Purple lines = indicator that it takes a very long time for a crew member to reach out to those areas to fix anything broken.
Green lines = possible suggestion to connect the rooms for quicker access.

Purple and green are entirely my sole opinion and this might be a design choice of yours.

Since it is a chaser, I would assume more utility to slow down the enemy is more preferable than raw firepower, as such an ion weapon might be better. Then again this ship has hacking so maybe that base is already covered enough. Your discretion :)

Picture seems to be cut off, added clickable link: http://imgur.com/1GOWCQm
Mista_Slaya

Postby Mista_Slaya » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:10 am

Xeneonic wrote:Yellow/black checkered = the game did this itself, I run CE mod, not sure if that's what causing it or because it's a WIP from you :)
Red = Clipping error (Room goes through the hull. This is only a visual problem.
Purple lines = indicator that it takes a very long time for a crew member to reach out to those areas to fix anything broken.

I have been having problems with the rooms because I had to edit some of the in-game ones to fit the rooms/face the right way(Hacking, Engines, Weapons) I'm working on fixing it. And two of the essential rooms, Hacking and O2 are further away on purpose, kind of make it a challenge if one goes down in the middle of a fight. When I played through with it I had a full crew and had someone stationed at doors and sensors, so they were close enough to fix them before things got really bad.

Xeneonic wrote:Since it is a chaser, I would assume more utility to slow down the enemy is more preferable than raw firepower, as such an ion weapon might be better. Then again this ship has hacking so maybe that base is already covered enough. Your discretion :)

I was thinking about ion, and I might make a Type B with ion, but I liked the idea of Hacking when I was making it (even though I rarely use it :?) and I felt that having Hacking AND an ion weapon would be too much. But then again, I'm new to this, so I might be completely wrong.

And Superluminal updated again, so I'm working on the Gibs right now as well. And Kieve, I'm working on the reshading now. I knew it was kinda off and it bugged me but I wanted to get it out and see if people would like it and enjoy using it. I'll keep you Captains posted on the progress, thanks for the help!

Link to reshaded V1: http://imgur.com/D9xw4AV
Please let me know what I should work on. I know the reshading isn't 100% beautiful, I'm doing my best. lol As soon as I get the Gibs done, I'll have the new download link up
Boomboofer

Postby Boomboofer » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:17 am

This ship is way OP, because it has no drawbacks and crazy good weapons. Yes, you may need to upgrade your weapons at some point but if you have a solid defense that setup will take you all the way to the end. Also, weapon re-loader AND long-range scanners AND FTL recharger? What? However, it does look pretty good IMO.
Mista_Slaya

Postby Mista_Slaya » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:24 pm

Okay, I know I kind of died a bit, but I'm still here, I promise. With senior year starting I've had little time to work on extracurricular things, but I am trying to find time to make this better than it currently is. Bear with me, I'm trying my hardest. I'll keep you guys posted :)
Zoltan Connor

Postby Zoltan Connor » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:55 am

Besides the missing-texture, yellow and black pixel puke; I like it!
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:37 am

Xeneonic wrote:I like your hull design, below I have some pointers as to some practicality issues that may or may not be intended by you;

Yellow/black checkered = the game did this itself, I run CE mod, not sure if that's what causing it or because it's a WIP from you :)

Purple and green are entirely my sole opinion and this might be a design choice of yours.

Since it is a chaser, I would assume more utility to slow down the enemy is more preferable than raw firepower, as such an ion weapon might be better. Then again this ship has hacking so maybe that base is already covered enough. Your discretion :)

Picture seems to be cut off, added clickable link: http://imgur.com/1GOWCQm

I think the clipping isn't that bad, I mean the vanilla ships do it.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.