[MOD] Recalibrating Protocols

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
BlackAlpha

Re: [MOD] Recalibrating Protocols

Postby BlackAlpha » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Twinge wrote:Some odd changes here. A 10% chance of fire is not a trivial amount; Ion weaponry should not have any chance of starting a fire.

A bit of an odd change on the beam weapons making them require less power and have higher cooldowns - Glaive+Igniter is ridiculously strong, and it's even stronger here.

Fire Bomb wasn't that bad before and you gave it a *huge* buff.

Well, everything+Igniter is ridiculously strong. That's just the Igniter being OP. It has been like that since vanilla. Personally, I don't have a problem with that because it's very hard to find and quite expensive. Plus, it feels very satisfying to get your hands on it.

As for the Glaive, I made it WORSE, not better. Like you said, I increased the cooldown a tiny bit but reduced the power requirement to compensate. It now performs worse. Plus, it's extremely rare (rarity 5, Igniter has 4 ;) ). It's one of those best weapons that are hard to find. But it has a big weakness, it charges slow and when there are shields, it only does average/low damage.

But really, how many times did you come across the Glaive and were able to use it in vanilla? Once, maybe twice, out of 50 playthroughs? It had an extreme power requirement and it has always been extremely rare and expensive. All I did was make the weapon somewhat useful and make it matter, so that it would add something to the game. That's a big part of the mod, it makes weapons useful. It gives you more variety and gameplay styles.

Firebomb has been reworked entirely. It's now a tier higher and more rare. Other bombs have taken its place.

But you can't judge the stats out of context like this. You need to see how all parts work together, you need to see it ingame. ;)
Evbomb

Postby Evbomb » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:56 pm

Was it your intention for crew to be instagibbed by nearly every missile in the game? I mind it only sometimes in that it can be vexing (like most everything else). But it's a little imba to have 3 people in your med bay get hit by a missile and die instantly.
zabbo2

Postby zabbo2 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:14 pm

This mod looks like the most interesting one yet released :) I like the proposed changes. Certainly will give this one a whorl...
BlackAlpha

Postby BlackAlpha » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:39 pm

Evbomb wrote:Was it your intention for crew to be instagibbed by nearly every missile in the game? I mind it only sometimes in that it can be vexing (like most everything else). But it's a little imba to have 3 people in your med bay get hit by a missile and die instantly.

There should only be one missile capable of that, the new anti-personnel missile. I need more feedback on it. There's also anti hull missiles which focus on damage, but they shouldn't be able to take out more than 60% crewman HP with a direct hit, not including the weak races which have very little HP.

I did multiple playthroughs so far, but only really got hit by by the anti-personnel missile once. It happened when I gathered my crew around the medbay, left the doors open, and a missile flew into the medbay, killing everyone inside and even a guy outside. Lost 4 guys in a blink of an eye. Well, I think that's sort of fun, but not if it happens too often.

So please tell me if stuff like that happens too often. The missile SHOULD be rare. Also, keep in mind it can easily be stopped with shields or defense drones, and it has a really long cooldown.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:09 am

I found the 1.0 version really nice, but I'm still not used to the missile rework in the subsequent versions.

My main problem is that I have a hard time recognizing what the enemy missile does. That, and that now using missiles seems a bit of a waste, though that must be my impression since the enemies still kick my ass.

Oh, and the Vortex is a bit overpowered early-game now, what with the Heavy Laser being able to pierce the first shield and disabling it, and then the ion cannon disabling weapons and spreading fire.

Yeah, personally, I wouldn't have the Ion weapons have any chance to start a fire at all.
A little bug report: I recall the Anti-hull beam description being nso long one line was outside the text box. Maybe you could remove an enter between main desdcription and the beam note, if that's not put there automatically.

Future things to modify: do you think it's possible to randomize a bit a shop's crew experience bars (also based on the sector)?
And at least: how would you feel about having all "laser" weapons renamed to "blaster"?
BlackAlpha

Postby BlackAlpha » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:06 am

A general question to everyone. Would you rather see new weapons or new events? New weapons would be similar to what you already see in the game. It would be just mostly alternate versions or overpowered versions of existing weapons (similar to how other weapon mods do it). New events would be more random events that apply to all sectors and maybe with a few bigger sector-specific events. Just wondering what people prefer to see.

Mr. Mister wrote:I found the 1.0 version really nice, but I'm still not used to the missile rework in the subsequent versions.

My main problem is that I have a hard time recognizing what the enemy missile does. That, and that now using missiles seems a bit of a waste, though that must be my impression since the enemies still kick my ass.

Oh, and the Vortex is a bit overpowered early-game now, what with the Heavy Laser being able to pierce the first shield and disabling it, and then the ion cannon disabling weapons and spreading fire.

Yeah, personally, I wouldn't have the Ion weapons have any chance to start a fire at all.
A little bug report: I recall the Anti-hull beam description being nso long one line was outside the text box. Maybe you could remove an enter between main desdcription and the beam note, if that's not put there automatically.

Future things to modify: do you think it's possible to randomize a bit a shop's crew experience bars (also based on the sector)?

And at least: how would you feel about having all "laser" weapons renamed to "blaster"?

I can understand the new missile system takes some getting used to. It's different from the vanilla system. But I can assure you, all missiles are useful. Each missile is good for a specific role it performs, so you just need to find out how to best make use of them. They all have pros and cons. But maybe I overlooked something. So could you tell me which missile in particular you think is no good and why?

About the Vortex, you are right. It's a very effective combo, too good for starting gear. I downgraded the ion cannon to the lowest tier ion cannon, I think it's more balanced that way. I also made some weapon adjustments on the alternate version of the Zoltan ship for the same reason.

I can't fix the Hull Beam text without removing the text altogether. It happens due to a technical limitation. The developers simply made those windows too small to show all the stats. That's why one of the lines can be seen below the window. By the way, I think the beam note is hardcoded, it's added automatically to all beam type weapons, so I can't change that.

Crew stats are hardcoded. So can't change anything there.

I will definitely think about changing the name of "lasers". I never liked it that the non-lasers are called lasers, and the actual lasers are called something else. However, I haven't changed it yet because I'm not sure what the new name should be. I think "blasters" is an okay name, but I'd prefer to use something else. But if no one comes up with a better name, then I'd probably use that.
liakad

Postby liakad » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:54 pm

I tweaked the game quit similar the last 2 days before I found this Forum and Thread. ;)

I rearranged the laser weapon stats, balanced the low-tier lasers, added a 4-shot burst laser and made
the heavy laser II a one-shot, 1 shield-piercing weapon with relativly high fire chance.

All-shield-piercing Missiles just feel wrong to me, because it's a much older technologie then lasers + shields.
But missiles + lasers are too much stress for the shields. It would be awesome if I could regulate shield damage and actual hull damage separatly. So, I could give missiles a shitload of hull-damage and effects, but they would just "pop" on active shields with no damage at all (just an expample).

The player would need to time his weapons more and actual hitting with missiles would feel more rewarding
(would also need a changed enemy behavior).

Everything else like spriting new art for the different rocket-types would be doable.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:49 pm

I think I understand what you mean: assuming the shield has an EMP-like field component, then any missile going through it would just go nuts. But the thing is that missiles are the only vanilla weapons that can bypass shields AND inflict hull damage. Hence why the existence of defense drones lv1.

So, without their shield-ignoring skill, missiles won't be much of a threat, and not even a profitable one, with spending missiles.

UNLESS

You twist the defense drone functionality by deprieving it of its firepower, giving it health or just deploy four instances of the drone at the same time, and increase its translation speed to insane amounts.

You following what I'm saying? Try it! At least the insane translation part, and you'll know what I mean (it must be REALLY insane if there's only one drone).
SSk77

Postby SSk77 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:44 pm

Please, register and post your mod here:

http://ftlmods.forumeiro.com/
Dal

Postby Dal » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:27 am

I'm looking forward to playing this, but please post a .ftl for future versions!