[SHIP] Firefly & Reaver Firefly /w custom art (AE) UPDATED

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
MaeniAck

Re: [SHIP][SMM] Firefly ship with custom pixel art (AE suppo

Postby MaeniAck » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:26 pm

First off, sorry you've not gotten answers sooner, but University has been a bitch.

ScubaSteve3465 wrote:Could you make an optional version without the rug in the sensor room? Sorry just looks so out of place and weird. I know its supposed to be part of the lore but I figured I would ask for an optional patch and see what ya thought.

I might do, but not separately, it will come with other changes I do then.

Russian Rockman wrote:I would say lose the heal bomb
Rock Plating for an FTL Recharge Booster
You could keep the ion blast to get through Zoltan shields I suppose,
It would be interesting to start with no weapons or weapons power at the start, but have a scrap recovery arm from the start.

Well I agree mostly, I thought the Rock Plating was more useful, not more lore correct. Just to give it a better chance. Due to battleclads suggestion I made it to a Titanium System Casing. I though I like both these ideas evenly. I removed the heal bomb, but kept the Ion blast for the purpose it serves and to get a bit extra scrap for when you sell it.

And thanks for the kind words :).

Battleclad wrote:I have to agree with starting with no weapons, I'd also say no teleporter as well. I'd arm it with two Boarding Drones instead and give it a minimal weapons upgrade...

A lot what you suggest here, I straight out disagree with, cloning and hacking is not fitting for a boat as the firefly. Boarding drones seem further from the lore than the teleporter, like Russian Rockman said:

Russian Rockman wrote:I don't like the boarding drones idea because they didn't have "drones" in the Firefly series. I was thinking of ways to make it a more authentic Serenity. That would mean giving it no weapons, but they often boarded other ships in Firefly so that would mean giving it a teleporter and Scrap Recovery arm for scavenging. ;)

If possible I would really have liked a dual purpose room, but from my understanding of the XML data this is not possible. :S, but thanks for your input :) . I added the Titanium System Casing as you suggested, and went down on the amount of weapons, though I stuck to the Ion Blast.

I might consider so of your suggestions Battleclad if I get around to doing a Load-out of the previous firefly types.
As well as some of the other suggestions I couldn't meet with this load-out.

My thought is to make a Firefly Series 1 that has no shields, larger engine - relies on dodge change - has no weapons systems, but instead boarding drones.
Last edited by MaeniAck on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:31 pm

Wow, I read your reasoning behind the room placement and you put A LOT of thought into this ship. :)

I just watched Serenity and had another idea! I see lots of people making reskins of the vanilla ships with the new pirate paint job. You could maybe make a Type B Serenity that looks like the "Reaver-ized" Serenity from the movie. And that one could actually have weapons and a new layout maybe.
MaeniAck

Postby MaeniAck » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:31 pm

Russian Rockman wrote:Wow, I read your reasoning behind the room placement and you put A LOT of thought into this ship. :)

I just watched Serenity and had another idea! I see lots of people making reskins of the vanilla ships with the new pirate paint job. You could maybe make a Type B Serenity that looks like the "Reaver-ized" Serenity from the movie. And that one could actually have weapons and a new layout maybe.

I actually thought of that too, and is actually the reasoning behind why you have have weapons on the Firefly.
But yeah that would be hell'a cool.
Edit: I don't mean I was already planing it, but the idea crossed my mind, and from your suggestion it actually gave me spark to continue on doing some more for this mod.

But damn that means more art, and that takes a long time.

My plan was to make the Firefly series 1, the original, as another layout first:

Then as the third the Reaver-ized could be done. I might even consider doing that first, as that might be easier.

Though I must say I don't entirely know yet how to make multiple load-outs for one ship, so I'll have to look into that.
MaeniAck

Postby MaeniAck » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:54 pm

ScubaSteve3465 wrote:Could you make an optional version without the rug in the sensor room?

MaeniAck wrote:if you don't like [the carpet] you can replace it with this image: http://i.imgur.com/8TPd67N.png - convert the .ftl to .zip and replace img\ship\interior\room_sensors_firefly - then convert the .zip back to a .ftl).
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:34 am

MaeniAck wrote:
ScubaSteve3465 wrote:Could you make an optional version without the rug in the sensor room?

MaeniAck wrote:if you don't like [the carpet] you can replace it with this image: http://i.imgur.com/8TPd67N.png - convert the .ftl to .zip and replace img\ship\interior\room_sensors_firefly - then convert the .zip back to a .ftl).

It's supposed to be Inara's shuttle though from the series, I didn't get it either until I read the rest of the post. Titanium System casing is a nice change by the way. FTL Recharge Booster wouldn't be bad either, but it may not be necessary. I really like how with this ship you might be running from half your encounters until you can get some better weapons, but the Scrap Recovery Arm sort of makes up for that.

If you could make other custom room images that would be soooo awesome!!!! But like you said, art takes a lot of time... You seem to be good at it though! :) You could put a hammock in the engine room, a chair in the Medbay, the dining table, some cargo crates, etc... Something else I though about maybe doing myself was replacing the word Rebels/Rebellion with Alliance and Federation with Brown coats or something in all the text files.

As for the multiple loadouts thing you could have the alternate versions replace the Kestrel B and C instead of the A. You can assign different hull and cloaking images to each type. If you were talking about layouts you don't really need to change the layout too much if you don't want to.

Lastly, I noticed that you can only have 8 crew, but there are 9 crew of the serenity :( . I suppose that makes sense because ---- and ---- FREAKING ----!!!!!!!! In Serenity, but I refuse to accept that! Shiny! :roll: I don't know who to leave out. :( If I got the right crew types I would end up making Zoe a Mantis, Jayne a Rock(Because he's a bit... Slow), Kaylee an Engi or Zoltan(Because she radiates :D ), and then I'd probably have to make River a Slug for obvious reasons. ;)
MaeniAck

Postby MaeniAck » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:23 pm

Russian Rockman wrote:If you could make other custom room images that would be soooo awesome!!!!
You could put a hammock in the engine room,
a chair in the Medbay,
the dining table,

I might consider that, but if I do it it will probably not deviate a lot from how it is now, to keep the FTL feel.
Russian Rockman wrote: Something else I though about maybe doing myself was replacing the word Rebels/Rebellion with Alliance and Federation with Brown coats or something in all the text files.

Yeah that would be kewl, but this is just intended as a ship mod, but you could always have that as a seperate mod.
Russian Rockman wrote:Lastly, I noticed that you can only have 8 crew, but there are 9 crew of the serenity ...

I'd probably leave out Inara, as often she's away from the ship.

For any the other load-outs they will probably be made 10-12 days from now, as I'm away in that period.
MaeniAck

Postby MaeniAck » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:16 am

MaeniAck wrote:For any the other load-outs they will probably be made 10-12 days from now...

Well I am working on the Reaverized version currently but it's taking time to figure stuff out, hopefully it will be done soon.

I had a setback after trying to both follow how the Reaverized Serenity looked and how the pirate ships look in FTL, it just ended up looking a bit messy. So I started over and hopefully this new approach will both capture a FTL style and be closely accurate to the movie prop.
CoryStarkiller

Re: [SHIP] Firefly Ship v 1.1 - custom pixel art (AE support

Postby CoryStarkiller » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:47 am

Do you have any plans of doing a Type C?
Maybe have it ignoring the Firefly/Serenity lore, and allow it to have regular guns and things like clone bays/etc.

I like the idea of having Serenity as we saw it in the show as Type A, and Serenity as we saw it in the movie as Type B, and you could have Serenity as we know FTL as Type C.

You wouldn't have to change the art for the Type C, just using the Type A would be fine.

Also I can't wait to see what you did for Type B.

Great work so far.
MaeniAck

Re: [SHIP] Firefly Ship v 1.1 - custom pixel art (AE support

Postby MaeniAck » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:21 pm

CoryStarkiller wrote:Do you have any plans of doing a Type C?
I like the idea of having Serenity as we saw it in the show as Type A, and Serenity as we saw it in the movie as Type B, and you could have Serenity as we know FTL as Type C.
Also I can't wait to see what you did for Type B.

My thought are to make a Firefly 1 series for Type C, which would rely on evasion, cloaking and drones as a starter, but have no weapons (though still a weapons system) and no shields.
Which I havn't looked much into, but I like the idea of a small maneuverable ship, virtually undetectable. But your idea is very doable too, and seems to have potential.

Fore Type B I have been very infuriated with making the art, as making the red spots of painting of this revearized version was harder than expected to look par with what I myself would deem acceptable. :D.

So let me share what I think will be my approach to the sprite art so far.

http://i.imgur.com/vRNG0Tp.png
MaeniAck

Re: [SHIP] Firefly & Reaver Firefly - custom art (AE)

Postby MaeniAck » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:35 pm

Finally I got done with Type B, now when I look at it it doesn't seem like it took that much work, but the iterations of both art and gameplay was extensive in comparison to my initial plans.

And I chose to make hacking available instead of drones on the Reaverized Serenity, just to mix up the gameplay a bit.

Hope to see your feedback on the new version.

Cheers, :)