[Save Manager] FTL Homeworld AE -v3.1

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Vhati

Re: [Program] FTL Homeworld

Postby Vhati » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:23 am

iceburg333 wrote:Bat's can't seem to do spaces (or I don't know how)
Quotes.

Code: Select all

java -jar "FTL Homeworld.jar"
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:52 am

roza4567 wrote:
java -jar FTLHomeworld.jar
pause
Pasted it, but it just comes up with an error:
java -jar FTLHomeworld.jar
pause is not recognised as an external command

See if this helps.
Edit: Link removed.

It looks for Java, and "FTL Homeworld.jar" (with the space) then creates a bat script for you.
Put it in the same folder as your jar.
Last edited by Vhati on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
roza4567

Postby roza4567 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:05 am

it created the bat file, but the bat file would be blank and would never start up FTL Homeworld.jar :(. TY though anyways
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:27 am

roza4567 wrote:it created the bat file, but the bat file would be blank and would never start up FTL Homeworld.jar :(. TY though anyways

if it got far enough to create a bat, I can't imagine why you'd see no words inside the bat when you opened it with a text editor.

If you mean double-clicking the bat brought up an empty black window that then disappeared, that was by design. Any errors would be saved to "emergency_log.txt".

* I've updated that tool (new link in my earlier post) to fix a few unrelated bugs.
roza4567

Postby roza4567 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:18 am

Vhati wrote:
roza4567 wrote:it created the bat file, but the bat file would be blank and would never start up FTL Homeworld.jar :(. TY though anyways

if it got far enough to create a bat, I can't imagine why you'd see no words inside the bat when you opened it with a text editor.

If you mean double-clicking the bat brought up an empty black window that then disappeared, that was by design. Any errors would be saved to "emergency_log.txt".

* I've updated that tool (new link in my earlier post) to fix a few unrelated bugs.

yeah. it creates the bat but then closes and does nothing. the log says this:

'"C:\Windows\system32\java.exe"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
cheesyhead11

Postby cheesyhead11 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:54 pm

how do i install i have no idea how and i dont know how to get the editor i have almost no knowledge of computers so for those like me could you give more nclear instructions on wear to move the .jar file and were to find this ftlprofile editor
iceburg333

Postby iceburg333 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:39 pm

cheesyhead11 wrote:how do i install i have no idea how and i dont know how to get the editor i have almost no knowledge of computers so for those like me could you give more nclear instructions on wear to move the .jar file and were to find this ftlprofile editor

Cheesyhead11: You know, give me a couple days and I'll try to make an actual video where I install it myself. All you really need to do is download it, unzip it, and then double click FTL Homeworld.jar. What part are you having touble with?
roza4567 wrote:

'"C:\Windows\system32\java.exe"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

Roza, do you have java installed on your computer? Try installing it here: http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Vhati: Thanks, putting "FTL Homeworld" in quotes makes sense to make the bat work with spaces, but once again I wouldn't have thought of that. :D
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:54 pm

roza4567 wrote:

Okay my 32bit tool definitely saw java.exe there, but the bat script didn't.

By any chance, are you on 64bit Windows, with 32bit Java?
If so, installing 64bit Java as may help (it's okay to have both Javas).

Warning: Technobabble Follows...

Java's normally installed in "C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.2.3_45\bin\java.exe".
Scripts wouldn't know to look for it there, so a frontend/dummy/copy is also put in "C:\Windows\System32\java.exe" where scripts always check.
This would be fine except...

64 bit Windows has this irritating habit of putting 32bit apps in a sandbox to keep them from seeing 64bit stuff (lying about folders and the registry: System32 is really somewhere else). And 64bit apps aren't lied to, but they generally don't bother peeking into the sandbox (so they may not be aware of 32bit stuff).

Edit: I've updated the LauncherGen to partly account for the folder lies.
FTLHomeworld_LauncherGen_v2.2
It does some magic to bust out of the sandbox, likely seeing things from the bat's point of view (and not seeing things), as it searches for a viable java.exe.
The tool still needs more tweaking to run 32bit Java on 64bit Windows.
roza3436

Postby roza3436 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:55 pm

Vhati wrote:
roza4567 wrote:

Okay my 32bit tool definitely saw java.exe there, but the bat script didn't.

By any chance, are you on 64bit Windows, with 32bit Java?
If so, installing 64bit Java as may help (it's okay to have both Javas).

Warning: Technobabble Follows...

Java's normally installed in "C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.2.3_45\bin\java.exe".
Scripts wouldn't know to look for it there, so a frontend/dummy/copy is also put in "C:\Windows\System32\java.exe" where scripts always check.
This would be fine except...

64 bit Windows has this irritating habit of putting 32bit apps in a sandbox to keep them from seeing 64bit stuff (lying about folders and the registry: System32 is really somewhere else). And 64bit apps aren't lied to, but they generally don't bother peeking into the sandbox (so they may not be aware of 32bit stuff).

Edit: I've updated the LauncherGen to partly account for the folder lies.
FTLHomeworld_LauncherGen_v2.2
It does some magic to bust out of the sandbox, likely seeing things from the bat's point of view (and not seeing things), as it searches for a viable java.exe.
The tool still needs more tweaking to run 32bit Java on 64bit Windows.

I hate you. I had time. I had a dwindling social life. Now on top of ftl and other games, I am now suddenly interested in coding. (any links to coding tutorials to fuel it? ;)) still though. will see if this works
roza3436

Postby roza3436 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:01 pm

The bat fileworks fine now but the docking program doesn't. It works once and then crashes and never works again. Apparently, according to my pc, it is the config file. I have deleted it times over and it allows it to work once but somethings goes wrong in writing the config. It says error saving to homeworld.cfg.
The config file says this:

#FTL Homeworld - Config File
#Tue Jul 30 06:56:44 EST 2013
ftlDatsPath=C\:\\Program Files (x86)\\FTL\\resources
ftlSavePath=C\:\\Users\\Student_2\\Documents\\My Games\\FasterThanLight