[Save Manager] FTL Homeworld AE -v3.1

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
iceburg333

[Save Manager] FTL Homeworld AE -v3.1

Postby iceburg333 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:03 pm

Description:
FTL Homeworld lets you manage save files and trade items between saves. FTL Homeworld is now compatible with Advanced Edition.

NOTE: While I plan to continue to update this thread and use it to continue developement, all downloads have been moved to Nexus Mods to provide a more consistent download experience, and new updates will only be hosted on the Nexus.

Space Dock 2 s .jpg

-Spacedock is a save manager that allows you to switch between ships by boarding or docking them. This means that if you're halfway through a playthrough with the Kestrel and you feel like playing with your Mantis Cruiser, you can dock the Kestrel and board your Mantis Cruiser, without having to beat the game with the Kestrel or die trying. After selecting a ship, you can press the "Launch FTL" button to launch the game. At any time, save and exit the game, click FTL Homeworld's "Refresh" button to see your updated ship files, and pick a new ship to play with by docking/boarding ships. :D

Cargo Bay 2 s.jpg

-CargoBay allows you to trade items between ships as well as store them in the spacedock's cargo bay for safe keeping! Got a bunch of extra items and scrap you won't use because you're at the boss fight? Store them for use later, or give them to another ship that could use them!

Download:
v3.1:
FTL Homeworld On Nexus Mods
Sourcecode on Github

OLD:
v2.1:
FTL Homeworld On Nexus Mods
FTL Homeworld on Media Fire
Sourcecode on Github

v2.0
FTL Homeworld
v1.2:
FTL Homeworld
v1.1:
FTL Homeworld
v1.0:
FTL Spacedock 1.0
Sourcecode on github

Installing:
Simple:
Unzip the file, then double click the jar file or bat file (pc).

Long:
This program used to rely on FTL Profile editor, but as of v2.0 it has absorbed the code it relied on. It is now a standalone program that can be installed anywhere. FTL Homeworld will look for your saves folder, as well as your data.dat file as it uses both of these to operate. As of v2.0 if also now creates/uses a Homeworld.sav file to keep track of items stored in the Cargo Bay. As of v3.0 if also now creates/uses a HomeworldAE.sav file to keep track of AE items stored in the Cargo Bay. If you don't have a Homeworld.sav, it will create a blank one for you. :)
FTL Homeworld also creates a "ftl-homeworld.cfg" file to keep track of data paths so that you don't have to tell it where to find your data/saves every time.
If you're having trouble. Try running it by double clicking the bat file it came with (v3.0 and up) and posting the contents of the command window that pops up when it runs. :)

History:
v3.1 Fixed a crash when not loading an active continue, upgraded background.

v3.0: AE Support

v2.1: Space dock: Click a ship's picture and get a summary report on that ship so you can decide if you want to play with it or not
Cargo Bay:
-Cargo items (drones, weapons, and augments) now list their count, so it's easy to stay organized (Ex: "Hull Laser x2"
-Crew members have an info button that when pressed, brings up a report on their service.
-You can now trade missile and drone parts between ships

v2.0: Cargobay Initial Release

v1.2: Should be totally separate from FTL Profile Editor. You *Should* be able to run FTL Homeworld from any directory without needing any other files.

v1.1: Renamed to FTL Homeworld, added buttons to refresh the ship list, select save folders, and to launch FTL. Fixes by Lologarithm as well as added compatibility for mac / Linux and automated guessing of resources. Special thanks to Lologarithm and KartoFlane for helping me with this update. :D

v1.0: (Called FTL Spacedock) - initial release, thanks to ComaToes and especially Vhati for helping me with this release.

Warning:
I've had a wonderful model (in FTL Editor) and gotten some great help from Vhati, KartoFlane, and Lologarithm. But since this is my FIRST java program, I feel it's only fair to warn you to use this at your own risk, as who knows what I could have done wrong/ left out that could cause something bad to happen. So use at your own risk, and I'll happily hear any bug reports you have! (Do note that 1.1 is more stable, though who knows what I'm still missing).

Is this cheating?
-Spacedock: FTL is a rogue like, which means no saving and loading. But this doesn't violate that idea. When you board a ship, you will lose it if you die just like before. This merely lets you have multiple ships/ progress going on at the same time. :)
-Cargobay: This removes an element of the rogue like, in that a full ship that wouldn't be able to use items can now give them to a starter ship, giving that ship an advantage from the beginning. This could unbalance the game, depending on how you use it. I plan to use this with the Infinite Space mod/ after I'm satisfied with beating the boss. The second unbalanced factor of the Cargobay is that in theory you could repeatedly create new ships, store all of their supplies in the cargo bay, and then offload them to new ships / have infinite scrap. Honestly though, it'd be a lot easier to use FTL Profile Editor to just edit your ship's scrap value, so I don't think this adds any new novel cheating opportunities. My end goal is to make a program that let's you build ships from the supplies you've collected and offloaded into the cargobay. This way, you could play and have to build your own ships instead of getting free ones from the Fed.

Credits:
As I've worked on my first Java program, I have been hugely blessed by a number of people who have helped me and encouraged me by providing answers to questions I was stuck with, as well as provided me with solid resources. I've been very encouraged by their constructive criticism and really appreciate what they've done!

Credit to http://www.shipschematics.net/ for their huge bank of Star Trek ship schematics. I used/modified a space station schematic for use in the background of my spacedock.

Credit to by Vhati and ComaToes for their FTLEditor and allowing me to use their source. FTL Editor found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10959&start=70 I've modeled much of my program after their FTL Editor, as well as copied/modified chunks of its code. Anything that reads or writes savegame data was either inspired by, copied from, or depends on FTL Editor (I removed the jar dependency by coping over huge chunks of their code). I'm especially indebted to Vhati who gave me permission to use the code as well as answered my questions as I worked through my first java program. He's been an invaluable resource.

Credit to Lologarithm for patching up a lot of holes in FTL Spacedock V1.0. He removed a number of crashes if things weren't just so, added mac/linux support, and added save finder functions that allow you to run the jar from wherever, instead of having to run it from your saves folder. Thank you!

Credit to KartoFlane, author of Superluminal, who has given me advice on better organizing my code, answered my questions as I worked through improving Spacedock, and provided me with part of his code to allow me to launch FTL from the program. His advice has been much appreciated. Thank you!

Other:
If you're interested in more of my work, check out my facebook page by clicking the logo in my signature. I make mods for Skyrim, games with Unity, and am working on getting experience in Java.
Or check out my FTL general dev thread!
Last edited by iceburg333 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 18 times in total.
kartoFlane

Re: FTL SpaceDock

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:25 pm

I've followed your exchange with Vhati in the profile editor's thread for a while; it's nice to see this finally released :) I'm gonna give it a few test runs and see how it fares.

Minor aesthetic suggestion for now -- it might be a good idea to normalize the size of ship images, so that the "Board" buttons are always aligned.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Thunderr

Postby Thunderr » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:05 am

Great idea, I'll have to try it out. I love the gui, it looks very nice and feels like part of the game.
iceburg333

Postby iceburg333 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:13 pm

kartoFlane wrote:I've followed your exchange with Vhati in the profile editor's thread for a while; it's nice to see this finally released :)

That's so cool! Your ship editor was one of the first mods/programs I downloaded for FTL, and made the most sense of the different ship editors I tried. It's so cool to see people like you and Vhati comment on my stuff. Thanks! :D
My goal (my hope, who knows how far I will get) is to expand this program so you can store items from your ship in the spacedock's 'warehouse' so you can trade items between ships. Then I'm going to add custom items to the game's xml (like shield generator, or warp core). Then I'll add recipes and a 'hangar bay' where you can 'build' ships. You'll select from the ships you have unlocked: say you pick the Kestrel. Then, if you've stored a warp core and 30 scrap, you can build the ship without any systems. Add stored crew and craft a shields system from 20 scrap and a shield generater, etc.
I think that this will have a great synergy with your program, if I'm able to get this far, because people will be able to design custom ships with your program and then 'build' them 'ingame' with mine. So I'm really hoping that I have the time to make it that far before my summer runs out. :D

kartoFlane wrote:I'm gonna give it a few test runs and see how it fares.

Do let me know what you think / your suggestions! It's my first java program, so I'd love all of the advice I can get!

kartoFlane wrote:Minor aesthetic suggestion for now -- it might be a good idea to normalize the size of ship images, so that the "Board" buttons are always aligned.

You're totally right. That irked me when I saw it too, but I was rushing to get something working out. I'm doing some Skyrim mod maintenance and finishing up a release of a Gray Fox mod, and then I'm going to start working on the "warehouse" component. And I'll fix the boarding buttons. Thanks!

Thunderr wrote:Great idea, I'll have to try it out. I love the gui, it looks very nice and feels like part of the game.

Thanks Thunderr, I really appreciate the encouragement! I was so excited to have the program done, but at first the GUI looked awful, so I put a lot of work into trying to make the GUI look FTLish, so I really appreciate hearing hearing that! I wish we could mod the game itself, but if we can't I want to do my best to make the outside of game experience still feel like you're still in the game. :D
LordAshram

Re: [Program] FTL SpaceDock

Postby LordAshram » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:09 pm

Looks great! Any idea if it would be compatible with the Infinite Space mod?
DoneTheImpossible

Postby DoneTheImpossible » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:56 pm

So, I don't have a savegame folder in my FTL folder. I am playing with a Steam version, not sure if this is the problem.

Any advice...because I really want to use this.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:24 pm

@DoneTheImpossible
Savegame location is detailed here

@LordAshram
Yes, this is a third-party software program for handling savegames, and not a mod, so it's compatible with all mods (as long as you remember what mods you had installed while playing on each save)
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
LordAshram

Postby LordAshram » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:43 pm

Fantastic... I think that combining this with the Infinite Space mod could really be quite a nice combo. Basically would allow you to switch off ships at will.
iceburg333

Postby iceburg333 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:23 am

kartoFlane wrote:@DoneTheImpossible
Savegame location is detailed here

@LordAshram
Yes, this is a third-party software program for handling savegames, and not a mod, so it's compatible with all mods (as long as you remember what mods you had installed while playing on each save)

Sorry, I missed these posts. Thanks for covering for me KartoFlane! =D

LordAshram wrote:Fantastic... I think that combining this with the Infinite Space mod could really be quite a nice combo. Basically would allow you to switch off ships at will.

Yeah! That's what I've been planning to use it for once I beat FTL, which I finally did today for the first time (on easy). I also engineered Spacedock to make sure it was compatible with custom ships, like the star trek mod, or anything made with KartoFlane's awesome Superluminal program.

My end goal/dream is to make a program where you can use supplies from your successful ships to build new ships, and work up from small scout ships to building your own fleet. :D
LordAshram

Postby LordAshram » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:42 am

Nevermind, downloaded now... now I just have to figure out the install, because I don't totally understand all that stuff:) Let me do some reading:)